1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Why not to use cheap 304 stainless

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by domn8rx, Jan 10, 2009.

1. PrecisionTurboMustang

What brand was the kit, and what was they name they were using on ebay?

2. Proaction14

Yeah those sure look familiar, those headers that are all over Ebay. The saying you get what you pay for comes to mind. I built several sets of headers and manifolds with 304ss .065 and havent had any problems with any of them yet. Some are 3+ years old. Those cheap Ebay hearders are appealing for a low budget build but its one of those things where you can pay now or pay later. Great post BTW.

3. slapnotch

no idea on the brand name buts its the same one he has pictured they go for 495 shipped...
    and i should have saved the money and went straight to ponydown for the stage 2 single setup for a fox :doh:
    i dont daily drive my car so hopefully when im done setting this up it will last a little while
    main problem i had was the with the headers the bolts didn't line up with the heads! i tried to drill them a little but still not that good
    either the bolt was to close to the pipe or just not close enough
    i gotta get this thing running for pinks all out in MIR but let see how it works out :'(

4. Doug Nash

This is good info thanks for posting this.

5. PrecisionTurboMustang

When is pinks coming to MIR? I gotta get something ready.

6. dax

Great info here. . . .glad i signed up. A good heads up on what to avoid.

7. Georgie

hey guys im new here..ive got a vert 92 5.0..want to build a turbo kit..what about using 316 ss?

ive got a TONE of pipes, bends all different sizes at my work that i could use along with a L-tec tig welder...

Thanks..

8. Georgie

well anyone?..all the pipes i have come from dying machines..thanks

9. Georgie

im surprised no one has an answer.... :bah:

10. gotageta5oh

Need more info.

11. Georgie

what do u need to know?

12. kickasschevelle

does anyone have any good links to a company where you can order quality HIGH TEMP MILD STEEL TUBES?

13. Georgie

well, i still havnt gottan an answer...what about 316???

14. 10secgoal

Nobody is answering because your hijacking someone else's thread rather than doing your own search.

15. 93CoupeBoosted

Is this a problem realeted to cars that are daily drivers? That are seeing constant heat cycling that are creating fatigue in the 304? Just asking, the kit I have put together is 304 and now I am worried. The car wont see much street use. Everything was Tig welded properly?

16. 10secgoal

304 expands at a much greater rate than mild steel does. I've seen them last just fine. But the import welding technique on top of it just being too thin is the biggest problem.

17. Stangguy

Bottom line is...if you are going to use 304 stainless in a turbo kit. You NEED/Have to run good quality expansion joints! Or design the kit for the movement related to expansion. You do not want to Brace the flanges to another tube, it will tear it apart as you can see :ahah: It is not the stainless that is the real problem, or the welds, it is the design of the kit. You can beat this dead horse all day. I you want to see a quality turbo kit in stainless. Take a look at turbo technologies kits. I have not hear any issues with theirs. Look have they have long loops to support the turbo, not mounted directly off the header, and braced to the flange.

18. Georgie

whats the best possible stainless you can use in building a kit..idont want to skimp out..

19. Stangguy

321 for gas 316L for diesel

20. Georgie

why?

Thanks.