1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

who the hell knows what size turbo will be on it next.Build.

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by botietr, May 30, 2005.

1. FourEyedFord

Re: PT101/106 turbo buildup "it runs once again"

What I meant by that was it is boost activated through the carb stud, I don't have an air pump and RPM activated switch. The PVs on mine don't start to open until up around 14psi. How quickly do you start pulling timing? Did you phase the rotor at your total timing under full boost?

2. botietr

Yes,i have the rotor phased right. i start pulling timing at 7 lbs.
    Damn 14 lbs before your fuel starts coming on..i guess i am flooding mine then.i have it coming on at 7 lbs.

3. botietr

Well,I took it for a ride today again.
    the surging is gone when it starts rolling,but off the line,its a complete dog.feels like its just rolling out on the tbrake,starts to pick up a lil,then sputters a lil.then takes off like a bat out of hell.
    another problem i see is its not making more than 7 lbs of boost,which is spring pressure.almost like the MSD boost controller isn't working.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

4. botietr

Update
    Im pulling the trans out this week coming up to send the converter back to get loosened up a little.ive tried everything to build boost and RPMS on the brake.the converters just too tight.just can't seem to get over the hump.won't stall more than 3600 rpms.hopefully this will take care of that problem and if thats it,its finally time to go put some runs on it. looks like Oct 4th is the next Pro TNT.

5. taco33150

you ever got the boost controller working? i am waiting on you to see if it works before i get one. it will be cheaper than the ams1000.

6. botietr

I haven't tried it since last time..im sure it will work,,everyone elses does.

7. botietr

I got the converter back and its installed.i took it for a ride this evening and all i can say it this thing hauls ass.nothing like my old n20 combo ,it ran 9.40s. this thing with only 12.5 lbs of boost would tear that old combo a new ass.i didnt make any boost out the hole.only .4 lb. but withn a few seconds the boost started coming on and all i could do was hold on.i still cant beleive that was only 12.5 lbs.this thing will be an animal at upper 20s.

8. botietr

I just noticed that my build is in the Hall of Fame builds.does that mean i've taken so long i got inducted? lol

9. revn351

No just that you have a bad as car. And well desreved, i first saw your car on hardcore50.Hey I still owe you a tea for the main cap you hooked me up with.

10. botietr

Thanks,
    Well tomorrow the day.Im leaving at 2 to go to a TNT. the plan is to work on getting it to launch.once i get that accomplished ill try a few 60 ft and maybe a 330 pass just to check some data. if it comes back in one piece ill be happy. Wish me luck.

11. botietr

I had a good time for the first time out in 5 years. collected some data and put a few laps on the car and made a few adjustments.still a long way to go but im happy the car isn't hurt and got some seat time.
    First pass it went right but i was out the groove., so i shut it down.
    second pass was in the groove but still went right.shut it down and made some adjustments on a ARB.3rd pass it launched straight ,about 330 out it lost traction and i had to pedal it,got back in it and shut it down around 1000ft.
    60 ft was 1.33 ,,660 6.22..went a 9.78@124 shutting it down early.main thing i didn't hurt anything and i know what i have to do to make things a little better next time out..im taking baby steps.i have all winter..lol

12. botietr

Here's a video of the three runs.doesn't look like much from the vids.

[​IMG]#ad

13. Unatural

So it looks like you got the spool up issue figured out!! Nice job man, I bet it felt great to get back out there and play again. :2thumbs:

14. botietr

Yeah.i bumped the timing up to 42 and after a burnout.it comes up pretty quick.i had the launch boost set at 8 lbs.then ramping up pretty quick.i think next time ill try leaving with more boost and phase it in slower so it wont blow the tires of once it gets out.f.

15. Unatural

Now the REAL fun begins!! :D

16. FourEyedFord

Awesome Bruce!!! That thing comes out pretty hard for your first passes ever with it!

What is the total time for the boost to come in? Is it an easy ramp from letting go of the t-brake? It seems like it pores the coals on pretty hard.

17. botietr

Thanks Bobby,
    Yeah i was wondering how fast everyone brings in the boost,i put up another thread on that.seems people bring it in fast and alot.ill be doing more testing in 2 weeks.got to go next weekend on a lil 4 day vacation in the Smokey Mountains.

18. botietr

Update,
    Went out to the track last Sunday. blew a head gasket on 3 and 4 on the first pass.. looks like it got a lil lean on that corner,the rest of the cylinders look good. got it changed out today and im waiting on a vacuum pump from GZ Motorsports. upped the jet on that corner. looking to go test some more on the 28th.

19. jevans

Been there, done that Bruce, it SUCKS...

What head gaskets ya running ? Are you monitoring your A/F or EGT ?

Good Luck getting it back together...John

20. botietr

Fel Pro MLS 1137s.
    I already have it back together,,waiting for the next TNT date which is the 28th. i tried to log the AFRs on my LM1 the last run but for some reason it didnt show.