1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

who the hell knows what size turbo will be on it next.Build.

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by botietr, May 30, 2005.

1. botietr

Re: PT101/106 turbo buildup "it runs once again"

anyone know why the RPM switch is going off and on? it will supply the ground and carry a 3 amp load continuously. think maybe the solenoid might be pulling more? would that cause it to switch off and on? think maybe a relay would help? how would you wire up a relay with something that supplies the ground and not hot hot?

2. gt40_5.0

is the box supplying a ground trigger to the solenoid? if so you can wire up the relay where you have a switched 12v from ign to 85 and have the msd ground trigger to 86 or vice versa. then have a ground to chassis or ground block to pin 30 and then the pin 87 of relay to solenoid. hey pops where you getting 12v for the solenoid?

3. botietr

Ok I tested the solenoid. that cant be it, it only draws .32 amps.i could run 10 on that circuit.

The question again is, why is it cycling? it shouldn't be. maybe a setting on the box wrong?

4. botietr

I talked to MSD today.they seem to think that the file was bad i had loaded. told me to open a new file and start over. making sure the MSD was comparable to the PC. i reset everything and reentered everything back in. now im waiting on my tubes for the slicks to come so i can try it out again and see if that cured the RPM switch problem .

5. botietr

Ok,UNCLE UNCLE.. I F$^%$^% give up..anyone want a car cheap!

reset the box like MSD said and took another ride.
    SOB doing the same thing. i know its something minor. its lazy off the line then acts like its going to move out then lays down,like on a limiter or something,then picks up again,then lays down again.I'm at the end.i might take a break,a long phuckin break. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

6. MUSTLX50

Don't give up Bruce, patience, I know at our age it's hard, lol. Retrace all the wiring of the box, you can always send the box back to MSD and have them check it out. It will come around and then it will be time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

7. botietr

Phuck that. Im going to set a match to this POS. >:(

8. gt40_5.0

MSD = My Spark Disappeared

9. botietr

Yeah son,
    I spent 30gs on you to get an electronics degree,,you could be over here helping me figure this shit out!!!! lol

10. domn8rx

Keep at it Bruce!! You know it will be something stupid, it always is.

john

11. botietr

Yeah,i know. but right now I'm so aggravated. I've been fighting this crap for a week. tried all kinds of different things, went through 7 gallons of C16. changed settings on the box. settings on when the fuel comes in. damn flat in the middle of it. freakin rain everyday damn day,so when i have a few minutes to fool with it ,and check out what i changed to see if thats it,it rains. on top of that,my LM-1 is going crazy on me. reading things i know can't be.

As close as I am to making some passes, Im just bummin.

Here.ill play something to make me laugh.lol

&feature=related[/url]

12. FourEyedFord

Are you pulling timing using the boost retard part of the box?

13. botietr

Yeah Bobby,but not till 7 lbs.

when are you guys adding fuel? and pulling timing?

i know everyones setup is different,just trying to see if im even in the ballpark.
    My shop is so busy right now i don't even have time to look at the damn car. which is a good thing i guess.

14. MUSTLX50

Bruce are you running the MSD map sensor?

15. botietr

Yes

16. MUSTLX50

Do you know about this.
    off msd site,

the map sensor calibrates itself to atmosphere, so at 14.7, you should be at 0. anything above is measured boost, anything below is vacuum. So with a reading of 23.75 is basically 9.05 pounds of boost 23.75 - 14.7 = 9.05

if your running the boost retard feature, you want to start pulling timing at this mark- kinda gotta work backwards but it works great

Bruce, try switching out the boxes or send it back to MSD to make sure it is working properly. If you have checked all your connections and your settings are where they are supposed to be, it's probably the box . It has happened to a friend of mine.

17. botietr

Yeah. pressure around here is 14.25.pulling timing at 21.25.checked all that.

18. FourEyedFord

I run 42 degrees of lead timing and then start pulling it out around 5psi, and I end up with 25 degrees total by 15psi and above. The fuel part on mine is controlled by the carb.

Did you phase the rotor at what you want your total timing to end up at (Assuming you have a crank trigger)? For instance for me I run 42 degrees of initial so I set up another timing map in the MSD to pull 17 degrees of timing out all the time, and phase the rotor there. (All you have to do with the points on the graph is draw a horozontal line accross the whole map at whatever amount you need to pull to get to your total timing under full boost--my line goes from 0psi to the end of the graph at 17 degrees)

19. botietr

Yeah Bobby,my total timing is at 36 and i pull 13 by 30lbs.yeah i have a crank trigger.

i know you said the carb adds the fuel,but at what point do you notice it coming on? rpms or boost

20. botietr

Thats just it.im no sure if its the box. i may be bringing in the fuel too early and flooding the motor. im going to record the afrs and rpms next time out to see whats going on.i know i have to change the oil,smells fuelie..i tried to watch the afrs last time,but hell,when it does start rolling im watching where im going..lol