1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

who the hell knows what size turbo will be on it next.Build.

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by botietr, May 30, 2005.

1. botietr

New turbo buildup

another..This is how i would have to weld the flange on it to make it work.

dsc00207.jpg #ad

2. botietr

New turbo buildup

another of merge

dsc00205.jpg #ad

3. Unatural

New turbo buildup

I don't see that being a problem. I don't think that little bit of an angle would inhibit the exhaust flow at all.

4. Brent Davis

New turbo buildup

Yeah with an angle like that, you won't have any problems with the turbo getting adequate exhaust flow to it. That will work just fine. Very, nice and clean car too.;)

5. botietr

New turbo buildup

Thanks Guys..had me worried for awhile there..thought i might have to redo the headers.what a PITA.grrrrr.

6. botietr

New turbo buildup

Id like to thank Gordon for the EV hat i got today..,Joe at Turbo Performance System for the flanges,High Temp Silicon,and Patrick at Precision turbo on the quick shipping and great products.

Well i got all this stuff now so i guess its time to get BUSY.

Brent and 20thAniv i am going to lower the front of the motor another inch since i have room and that should put the turbo inline with the header merge.looked it over tonight and since i made the solid motor mounts to begin with i see i have about an inch and a half i can lower it before it hits the steering rack.
    ill post some pics tomorrow of the goodies.

7. turbostang

New turbo buildup

FWIW - The picture of my turbo kit is now getting some changes. I sold that turbo because it proved to be a bit to small for my purpouses so I am changing to a "large" 76MM of some sort. I haven't decided just yet... however it will use a 5" downpipe that is for sure. The last kit I built for boostedgt has flipped shorties with a 4" downpipe and I did it like this - Mount the turbo FIRST and plan the rest of the kit around that ( I know this is a little late for you now). By building the kit like this is makes the kit fall together a little easier by planning the route of the downpipe FIRST before the header tubes.

The picture posted above of my kit clearly shows the turbo was mounted first and the merge was made before the crossover - I wanted the smoothest possible transition into the wastegate possible so that I could control boost to the maximum degree.

Hope this helps and if you need any specific pictures let me know.

8. botietr

New turbo buildup

A few pics of a lil progress.the hat mounted and the crossover started.now time to start on the right header.

dsc00215.jpg #ad

9. botietr

New turbo buildup

dsc00216.jpg #ad

10. Brent Davis

New turbo buildup

Coming along just nicely. Keep it up and you'll be building kit for long.

11. turbostang

New turbo buildup

Is the water pump hose going to clear?

12. botietr

New turbo buildup

Yes the crossover is behind it,almost even with the front of the motor running under the front sump.pic doesnt show it.

13. botietr

New turbo buildup

Here's another shot.

dsc00219.jpg #ad

14. cp5899

New turbo buildup

turbostang, what kind of power are you making that you need a 5" down pipe? I'm building a gt45 single turbo setup and I'm looking to make 800whp and I was told that the gt45 uses a 3.5" downpipe and once under the truck to go to a 4".

Also, does having the crossover pipe cause problems for a street driven car? The reason I ask is because I'm would like to run it in front because it would be easy, but will it heat things up to much like the elect. fans, acc. belt and front of engine?

Thanks!!!!!

15. turbostang

New turbo buildup

Not sure on the power output, but I'd expect 1200ish. It's not running yet of course. The turbine housing has a 5" v band setup on it - afterall the name of the game is little or no backpressure. I think the 5" will do it :cool:
    On my old turbo kit the crossover was 2" away from the lower hose and I had no problems keeping it cool.

ah.. a little photographic trickery ! Looks good.. hurry up and get it running. :D

16. botietr

New turbo buildup

Im going to run a 5 in DP also..did u price that stuff yet?? i figured it up and just the pipe came to 310 dollars from ailflow without the vband flange and clamp i had to get from precision,(suppose to need a special one for my turbo was another 100+) i think thats the name airflow..its in links.might try finding another source..know any cheaper?ordered my 5 inch bullit muffler also.

hurry up and get it running

Hell Im trying.have to get stuff as the money allows.this is a hobby for me so it takes a back seat to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hmmmmmmmmm..let me think.........hell i just need to finish this,,lol.

17. turbostang

New turbo buildup

someone posted a link in another thread that was pretty cheap for 5" stuff.. Let me see if I can find it.

Nevermind.. It was airflow :(
    Just hope you don't need a 5" donut :eek:

18. botietr

New turbo buildup

I ordered the 5 inch tubing from Airflow and my 5 inch bullit from Summit .should be in next week and hopefully ill have the hot side finished then.Hard to work on my car and my sons at the same time so im trying to finish his car this week so i can spend more time on mine.now i just have to figure out how im going to fit that big ass stuff in there with all the other tubing running in the engine compartment.i think im going to run it out the lower rear of the passenger fender like Chris Ciolek's featured car.heres a pic of how his is run.

exhaust3_t.jpg #ad

19. botietr

New turbo buildup

Got the passenger side header fitted and mocked up today.

dsc00168.jpg #ad

20. botietr

New turbo buildup

.......another

next is to join the crossover and put another v band clamp inbetween there

dsc00167.jpg #ad