1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Who says a .68 exhaust housing is too small? :D *Update: New Times on pg 4!!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mad Beems, Feb 26, 2006.

1. 87Saleen209

Makes sense to me. It's been discussed on here before. It would cut down on a lot of the turbulance that the wastegate initiates in the down pipe. I always wanted to do it to my Cartech kit since it was a 3" DP... but never got the chance.

2. sy733

I like that idea.... :2thumbs:

3. Mad Beems

TTT what does anyone else think about the dumped wastegate idea??

4. turbofreek

i like it. you can accually put a muffler on the dump tube to. :2thumbs: make it quieter i think

5. 87Saleen209

It would be interesting to put a lawnmower muffler on a wastegate pipe, lol

6. TurboFox

On my cartech kit I had a t64E w/ .81 housing and boost response wasnt instant, but was more then enough to keep roasting the tires (275 Bridgestone Potenzas..Not a drag radial but still a descent tire) at 3200rpm. Would it be safe to say that the .68 housing would add to traction issues on a typical street tire?

Beems- Saw that in car video of the boost gague :jdp: Any new news -EDIT: Saw new thread.Sorry.

Block busting issues aside..Would the .68 housing be better for a street car that would be more likely to see a local autocross event as opposed to the drag strip??

7. Unatural

From my experiences, yes and yes. I swapped from an .81 to a .69 and went from full boost and braking the tires loose in 2nd gear at ~4000 rpm to full boost and frying tires at 3300. It made it a lot more fun to drive on the street because of how quick it jumps into boost, but I lost 2mph at the track and if I would have had the traction with the .81 that I did with the .69 (I swapped to Nitto DRs), it would have been even more. For autocross and driving around town I say the .69 is the way to go, but at the drag strip, the .81 has worked a lot better for me.

8. TurboFox

I imagine for navigating around the cones it would be an exercise in modulating the throttle regarless of a/r. Thanks for the input.

9. Mad Beems

.68 all the way for autocrossing if you want quick throttle/boost response although all the torque down low can make it a little trickier to hook up.

10. zboss86

Dumb question...
    How are you guys reading the back pressure, can it be done with a simple boost gauge?

11. turbofreek

all i know is on the dyno mine never turned red on the hot side under full throttle like you always here about. id say if your going to shoot for 550rwhp+ get the bigger housing. i think its spools very quickly but could be a little more late in the curve and be just fine or better than the .68? j.m.h.o. dont get me wrong its awesome feeling and responsive, but could get more out of the turbo with the .81 on the upper rpm's with higher boost than 6-8psi :2thumbs:

12. Broke

I was told that putting the wastegate exhaust back into the DP will cause turbulance. Mine goes to atmosphere.