1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Who is running a T5 in there turbo Mustang?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by gottabeford2, Oct 18, 2007.

1. gottabeford2

well the t5 is up for sale on ebay if anybody is interested i have a buy it now of $450. to much? but i am going to install the aod. with the money i am getting from the t5 i am going to buy a rebuild kit from hughs or tci what do you think? i want something with alto clutches and kevlar bands.

2. Turbocharged88LX

g-force t-5 and a mcleod 500 series here. 512 rwhp no problems, but the casings are pretty weak

3. import killer

I am working on getting the turbo set up on my stock 91 Stang. I am going to run the T5 as long as I can. I am not too worried about it. I saw this thread and new what the replys would be like. :D I myself have never once broken a T5 and have seen them live through some rough abuse behind some healthy motors (turbocharged) and some hard shifting! I have also seen people go through them like candy on cars not making 200 hp!

Dan

4. Daddy

Probably not a direct relationship, but less weight equals less load, less load equals less stress. Now there will be that initial moment at the beginning of acceleration where weight will not be a factor, but all in all a 5500 pound vehicle will be harder on the driveline than a 3100 pound vehicle given all things are the same. If you strapped an extra 2500 pounds to your car I wouldn't expect the transmission to last as long as it had when it was just a 3100 pound car.

I know they threw the T5 into a bunch of vehicles, but I thought I remember reading that the Mustang was really the only one to end up with the World Class T5 and others like the Cameeeero only got the regular T5. Not sure how accurate that is nor were I read it, but other than the Cobra Spec T5Z, the Mustang World Class T5 was one of the stronger T5's out there (talking about the 87-93's). Now I'm not sure what they rate the current T5 in the V6 Mustangs at, nor if they've redesigned it or not. I'm also not sure if the ones they list are the model numbers for the years we're talking about or not, but I still find it odd that a transmission that would be rated at 231 lb-ft of torque would be installed in a car making 300 lb-ft of torque stock.

Yeah you got me there. :) I double checked it against mkoebra95's newbie post originally and used his values.

I was thinking about it this last weekend and IF (now that's a big IF) someone would shut down immediately after they sensed third gear letting loose they might be able to determine if they stripped the gears from improper mess (flex) or just too weak of a gear. But again it would have to be shut down immediately as in when the first tooth let go and I'm assuming that rarely happens.

That's usually the scapegoat, hard part is (from a manufacturing standpoint) trying to come to that conclusion because the customer neeeever tells you exactly how he's using it. :bang:

It'd be nice if everything was overengineered like it used to be, at least it would make this discussion a lot easier. :D

:D

5. Daddy

I thought you said you weren't sure in your classifieds add whether it was a G-Force or not?

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70596.0

You also said that it had a 10 spline input shaft which wouldn't be a G-Force because those only come with 26 spline input shafts. Now it could be possible that you had one of the other gearsets that Astro Performance (G-Force distributer) sells, but the best they sell other than G-Force is the same thing as the Cobra gearset.

6. Silverfox

I'm running a ProMotion T-5, it's last a good while but it's time to pull it apart. I first had it in my nitrous car for a couple of years, launching at over 6k on the giggle gas. Now that T-5 resides in my daily driven turbo'ed GT and after the second time at the track it's whining and I think the Spec stage 2 clutch is toast. My turbo setup made 484hp/497tq to the wheels at 10 psi. The input shaft is what I suspect is worn and or counter balance.

I am in same boat as you. I have a stock AOD sitting in the garage but have weighed the cost of getting a good rebuild on it, good valve body and converter and I'm holding off on that for now. The TKO is the next step up for better strength and I'm leaning towards that. Several guys on this site have done very well with the AOD. Which ever route you go, It's best you invest some money in them before you install either one if you want it to last.

7. gottabeford2

ya my t5 sold today on ebay. so i am going to buy a hughs rebuild kit with a alto clutches and kevalar bands :chacha: i already have a 3000 stall converter and a b&m shift kit. i think that should hold for a little while?

8. rickyhaiber

Good choice. In the long run you'll be happier you went with an auto over the T5.

9. turbofreek

you sir are correct. it did have a 10spline input shaft. i still dont know what the hell it really was, but i dont think it was not a stock piece. i just figured it was gforce stuff, cuz thats what the previous owner stated it was. are there variences in design of the t5's? why did the input shaft have a 10spine yet the internal gears be different then 2 other t5s i looked at? are the cobra gears thicker then a standard t5 out of a 5.0? if so then this would be where im confused :scratch: