1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Where to tie in PCV & filler vent?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by matt95, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Mike SVOR

But that air is under pressure. You must mean before your turbo and after you air cleaner?

2. matt95

Damn, I think I am more confused now than before I started this thread. Lots of good info though. Seems like lots of us have questions about this.

3. vegastang

Thats correct Mike, my mistake.

Yes Matt, there are lots of questions. I've done all the searchs, as with a lot of subjects it seems there are alot of dolts at corral.

It seems like there should be an easier solution... unless running only breather caps isn't bad.

4. Mike SVOR

Just vent it. :stickhit:

It's a Myth that your oil will turn black quicker when running valve cover breathers.

5. matt95

I had always heard that breathers were bad because of the unmetered air entering the motor.

I am still going to try the evac system, my downpipe has the bungs already welded in w/one way check valves, so it's not much work to try it. If it doesn't work, I can always cap them off.

6. vegastang

Breathers are fine if you disable the PCV system.

I'm leaning towards venting it, unless someone here convinces me otherwise for a daily driver. I dont car about the fumes.
    Just wondering if theres really *that* much advantage to vacume in the crankcase.

Regarding that evac system matt, i dont really see how thats gonna work. It seems the exhaust system is under positive pressure. I know in 'Maximum Boost' they refer to measuring the psi in the exhaust system for muffler choice purposes.

7. vegastang

I just realized the obvious... under boost the PCV system is non operational. Therefore its only benefit is in cruising conditions.

It seems the only reasons for keeping PCV is for:

-emissions reasons
    -you dont like oily fumes coming out your valve cover
    -to keep the oil clean

There cant possibly be any *performance* benefit to keeping stock style PCV, correct? The performance benefits come from the evac pumps that pull vacume at WOT, correct?

If the above is true... the PCV goes... I change the oil often anyways.

An interesting sidepoint: I'm running turboless right now, and my intake spacer is much more oily. Apparently occasional boost hits clean the oil out of the intake. ...So you might be sucking more oil than you realize.

8. V8TurboGMC

Yep,
    You should have Straight through Glass pack style mufflers and NO cats. You have to have free flowing exhaust to run an Evac System. IMO Evac systems Kick A$$. Why suck hot oily air into your engine?I work at a RICER shop, we put Evacs on all of our turbo Hondas.

Kyle~

9. V8TurboGMC

Run the Evac!!!!:rockon:

10. xr8tt

I went to my local exhaust shop.They fabricated me a pice of small diameter pipe about 4" long. Made it press fit in block with the gromet out crimped/ welded in some baffles in the centre the other end was made to fit the gromet back in so pvc fits back.The extra height was enough to stop the oil. Was going to fit some stainless wool in top baffle but works without it.

On the valve cover we made a 5"X3" can with two holes in top to feed steel pipe, we welded them there one 3/4 down the other nearly at top. We then made a small hole at the bottom and run a drain hose to the turbo oil return line as it sits above turbo.. works well..We put one way valves on the pvc line and the other on the valve cover working to stop vacuum entering...

11. CASTURBO

Considering not running a PCV on a daily driver?.........then read this:

The PCV system will keep the oil cleaner (less combustion byproducts in the oil) and without a doubt remove all the moisture that gets in. Ever since I hooked my PCV back up on my daily driver, the oil looks as clean as it came from the jug.....and it's over 1000 miles old already.

Running the PCV prevents oil leaks too. On my car, for example, the rear main leaked the instant I took away the PCV. Once I hooked it back up, the oil leak completely vanished. Who wants a daily driver that you need to add oil daily?

Running the PCV also lets you run an open element valve cover breather WITHOUT oil dripping on the exhaust below. Smoking daily drivers are embarassing.

Running the PCV also completely eliminates oil fumes from gagging you when you sit in traffic idling. Try running "normal A/C" mode while idling with no PCV.........I did, my wife refused to sit in the car.

No PCV?.......no thanks.

12. vegastang

Yeah I tried running no PCV yesterday. I had been running an open breather with the PCV creating the infamous 'vacume leak'. Well guess what, my car doesnt idle without that 'vacume leak'! I had to lean the MAF 40% to get it too idle! I'm not sure why this is.

I put the PCV back on, car runs fine again. Except now I have the massive KN breather on with the PCV.

Screw the vacume leak, I don't think it matters. Now I'm back at square one. I might relocate the PCV to the valve cover and see if it pulls less oil.

Those running evac pumps, are they not circulating fresh air through the system? Seems thats the only purpose of the stock PCV, I doubt it creates a vacume with the other end attached to the TB or breather.