1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Where to tie in PCV & filler vent?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by matt95, Apr 21, 2003.

1. CASTURBO

All motors will have blowby, especially the Ford 5.0L since stock it came with relatively loose fitting piston rings and forged pistons where by their design have to be looser fitting than hypers (forged pistons expand more when hot, so loose is a necessity when cold).

T
    Unavoidable blowby with stock hardware will generate crankcase pressure. Gotta relieve it somewhere.

Not allowing blowby to escape easily caused combustion byproducts to collect in the oil. On top of that, PCV actually increases piston ring seal, reducing blowby further.

I run an open element VC just on the passenger side and any pressure is allowed to escape there. When not in boost, the PCV system is removing normal ring bypass and keeping the oil seals from leaking. It works really well.

2. Mike SVOR

So are you saying that having two breathers on the valve cover won't work good? :confused:

I'd really like to know how your Positive Crank case Ventilation works when there is boost in your intake.

So what your saying here is that you have un-metered air being sucked into your intake after the throttle body? Basically an open vacume port. :confused:

3. Chris89Stang

Matt, you get that sled running yet or what? :)

4. matt95

Chris - No, I have been slacking. Getting close though, just have to deal with the pcv/breather crap and get the exhaust in, then I will be ready for the tune.

Are you finished installing yet?

5. Chris89Stang

Still waiting on parts so I haven't started yet. :mad:

6. matt95

That can be frustrating!! Hopefully the stuff shows up soon, that way I can rag on you for taking so long.

7. Chris89Stang

I do have the heads ready to go back on. So I guess I kind have started.

Why don't you figure out this PCV, venting junk so you can help me with it. :)

8. matt95

I believe I do have it figured out. I have 2 bungs on the downpipe for an evac system. So, I am going to tie the pcv and the oil fill on the valve cover together and connect to one of the evac bungs with a one way check valve, that way I have constant crankcase vacuum. The other bung will get capped off. Hopefully it works and doesn't create so much vacuum that oil is sucked into the exhaust.

9. Mike SVOR

You shouldn't use an exhaust evacuation system if you have mufflers. There IS back pressure there.

10. matt95

Oh, I didn't realize that, just thought I would try. I do have mufflers, they are straight thru if that helps. I guess that I will just put vents on the filler and the pcv then. Thanks for all the tips.

11. CASTURBO

For sure, 2 VC breathers will work, but 1 is likely enough. 2 does look better though ;)

PCV obviously does not function while in boost because there is no vacuum. Blowby is forced to leave the motor thru the VC breather. Remaining blowby is then sucked out when vacuum returns, sort of cleaning the motor in the process.

Yup, the disadvantage of any open breather on the VC is unmetered air allowed to get in. Idle has been just fine though, but having the Interceptor gives the ability to add additional fuel to make up for the controlled vacuum leak.

You and I have similiar setups, but I run the PCV to suck blowby out of the motor and as a benefit I don't have oily fumes underhood......they get burnt in the combustion chambers instead. But the biggest benefit with running a PCV system is the total absence of oil leaks now. Before, with no PCV, the rear main instantly began to leak alittle, that really pissed me off (I got carpet in my garage!!).

12. Mike SVOR

I see what your saying.

But you do realize that sucking in oily air causes pinging/detonation and also puts a nice carbon layer on the tops of your pistons, don't you?

13. CASTURBO

Yeah, I here ya on that point.

But I what I did to avoid that was to put a real inline oil separator for the PCV. This way no oil gets into the intake, I have checked it weekly and the line after the filter is bone dry.

14. foraye

:shocked: Ok...here goes.

I'm installing an Incon 800TT kit ...This is the way I'm going to plumb my PCV evac system.

1: Get 2 one way valves.
    2: mount one in the hose between the PCV and Intake.
    3: Mount the other in the hose between the Intake and Vacuum Tree on the firewall.
    4: Connet the Valve Cover breather to the inlet l duct of one your turbo/turbos after the filter but before the turbo.

This setup will prevent boost from entering the vacuum system.

LB

15. vegastang

It aint that hard to prevent boost from getting in the system. That fix has been known for ages.

Most of us are fed up with getting oil in the intake.

16. Mike SVOR

If your set on doing a PCV system, just add one more thing:

Put one or two one way check valves in, that will vent your crank case pressure but won't let air in.

You can then have ~15 inches of vacume in your crank case, and when your on boost, your intake check valves close and IF/WHEN crank case pressure builds up while on boost, the check valves that are open to the atpmosphere will open and vent. Once the vacume returns to the intake manifold, vacume will return to the crank case.

Get it?

17. mrsvo4

Bravo Mike!! Gimme a call!:stickpk:

18. vegastang

Mike I don't think that works. One of the main purposes of the PCV is to circulate fresh air into the crankcase. If you put a check valve on the crankcase to IC line, you prevent fresh air from circulating. Also, I have heard numerous times that you don't want full vacume in the crankcase. 15 inches is too much. Possibly the blowby would prevent that, a test would tell, but the circulation point remains

19. Mike SVOR

Your right on the circulation point, but, Who wants circulation? It'll suck in dirt and nasty engine compartment air.

As for the vacume, I've done it. Works great. Holds vacume for a while after the engine is shut off too. You can shut off the engine, get out, pop the hood and remove the oil filler cap, and hear Pssssshhhhhh when you crack the seal.

BUT, It had problems with the stock computer. I'd only recomend this if you have something else other than stock computer. It's a mass air thing.

By all means, do what you think is best. I'm just throwing out some info from what I've learned and done. :)

20. vegastang

No I meant circulation of air coming from the nipple inbetwen the TB and MAF, so that airs clean.

I have an idea I'll throw out here for review:

What if the PCV is on the valvecover instead of the lower intake? With a baffle in the valvecover, and those special PCV caps with the steel wool inside, might this suck in less oil?

Thats my beef.. the freaking oil. It must be vaporizing in the lifter valley to get past the baffle/filter/pcv valve into the intake. I tried the inline fuel filter ontop the PCV, it clogged within a week. Its not coming in from blowby through the intercooler pipe, i had a filter there and it stayed dry.

So if anyone has any great ideas to rid oil from getting past the PCV please help. I'm skeptical of the inline filter ideas.

Otherwise I'll prob end up ditching the PCV and just running the breather caps. The only downside to this is more frequent oil changes correct? The cars a daily driver.