1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

what did dad buy at a swap meet??? help identify the turbo (sorry)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by alilley, Nov 19, 2011.

1. V8-Volvo

First you need to figure out for sure what you have. We can't provide any real help until you know that. Its kinda hard to follow what you write because you're barely literate. That's okay, English is hard.

Here's what you know:
    Has M12 cast into the comp side (A lot of turbos do this as do actual garretts and ebay turbos)
    .50 A/R compressor side
    .63 A/R turbine
    Some cold side measurement Outlet? Inlet? 2.163 2.537
    Hotside: 2.068 2.99565

Looks like this:

What I can tell you:
    It is probably the same or very close to the eBay turbo I posted.

What you should do:
    If you want to know the applications of this and actually get useful responses you need to take the housings off and measure the inducer and exducer. I am betting it is this turbo: ebay link

You can use the measurements list there to know for sure and go from there.

Long story short it is probably too small for even a 355 to turn any serious RPM but that doesn't mean you cant have a lagless turbo setup that is just a bit choked up top.

2. Mnlx

He posted wheel measurements......... 2.163 is approx 55mm, which is close to a 54 trim to4e, but the exducer seems small at 2.537 (wonder if he has the large diameters mixed up which would make sense) and the turbine looks to be a stage 2 t3 ( if the numbers are swapped) They are t3/t4's. The turbines are better suited to a 355 than a 383 if you plan to rev it at all. Need more info on what your goals are.

3. alilley

i do not have a set hp goal so to speak of, but what goal for the truck i have are as follows, still be able to drive on streets, pump gas (if need be meth injection is fine) it will prob see some 1/8 or 1/4 mi track time (would depend on which one i go to) would prefer to make most of the power under 6xxx rpm... but other then that it will be mainly a toy.....

And yes there is a chance that the numbers could have been swapped as i was on the phone with dad had him go out and measure he gave me one set of numbers then i had him go back out and get the other set. he did make a comment about possiably swapping the numbers so i had to go off of what he gave me.

as far as measurements go......every turbo i have seen and or torn down the smaller side of the impeller was always on the outside of the wheel so i ASSUMED that it would be known on which was which.....v8 volvo i am not here to get into a pissing match with someone, nor am i here to get shot down and bascally, all but called illliterate, i am here to some assistance on one, figuring out what dad bought, and 2 if it will work for what we are attempting to do. Sorry if my highschool education is not enough for your liking but it is what it is, and hay at least i graduated unlike a lot of the kids these days. i do appoligise to everyone elese if things are a little hard to read, if there is something i can do to help or make things a little easier then please by all means speak up .................enough on that lets keep this on topic here

4. 2turbonova

Spellcheck... they are ebay turbos they are t3/t4 hybrids I believe 57 trim. They will work om a 383 to what rpm im unsure I think they'll make it to 6k but they could choke out early. I would use a minimum of a 38mm wastegate on each bank. Don't know what else to tell ya? Good luck rebuilding the engine all the time...

5. furchaser

Don't worry about what he thinks or says ... he's only been here a couple days as well.
    What you have would be better suited to a mild 5.0 l engine as twins .. Will they work ? yes
    Will they build boost ? yes .. are they suited for what you are trying to do ? no ... If your not shooting for high rpm and are planning on running 2 good waste gates then put them on and get your feet wet. There are many things to take into consideration including compression / cam / heads etc.

6. Mnlx

Like posted above, these work pretty decent on smaller engine, so I think you will be happier going with the 355, or less cid to get started. Boost has a way of making up for less cid :)
    Here is some info on a set of t3's (not sure on turbine trim, but should get you some info) on a 383 mopar, and his backpressure issues: https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/turbo-tech-questions-only!!!/back-pressure-testing-info-turbocoupe-t3%27s-on-a-383-bbm/

7. Mnlx

8. V8-Volvo

I was picking on you because I am sure you are perfectly literate and capable of writing just like everyone else in this thread and just choose not to making reading what you read harder.

On topic:
    This thread has some info about turbos with similar applications as the ones you posted. You could probably expect similar results.
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/turbo-tech-questions-only!!!/back-pressure-testing-info-turbocoupe-t3%27s-on-a-383-bbm/

9. cat herder

inches x 25.4 = mm
    mm / 25.4 = inches
    Memorize that.

Boost will depend on the engine, and how it deals with the amount of air you're shoving down its throat.

Wastegate - with such tiny turbines in relation to engine size, they'll need to be large. Smaller turbine means more exhaust will have to be diverted around the turbine.

Injectors will depend on your HP - the actual HP the engine makes once it's together, not a theoretical target. You'll need to know more about the combo to get close, should be one of the last things you pick after everything else is finalized.

T3/T4 most often means a T4 compressor with T3 turbine (although it can also be the other way around), in over-generalized ebay-speak they are called T04E.

I think they would be better suited for a 305 or 267, if those even still exist in the junkyards.

Why, in light of this mountain of other unknown stuff, is a rebuild kit the most important thing? Are they used, worn out? If so throw them away (or re-sell them back at the swap meet, where apparently there are people who will buy just about anything shiny :D) and buy another pair of $120 ebay turbos but this time get ones that are better suited to what you want to do.

10. Bad Medicine Racing

I vote try them on a JY 305. That way when it either ingests some compressor blades, or scatters, you won't be out anything but a junky 305. And some time.

11. 2turbonova

it wont ingest any compressor blades and probably wont scatter my money will be on bearing issues and cracking pistons for a bone stocker but i would highly doubt a turbo failure if its installed properly

12. Bad Medicine Racing

If it is oiling properly and the bearings are not worn out when it is installed they shouldn't give any problems. If you have any tuning sense and don't get too greedy you won't likely have problems with pistons. Where are you basing these opinions from? Saying it "wont", as you put it, ingest any compressor blades is an ignorant and ill thought out statement. Nothing is out of the question with cheap Chinese parts, especially when you have no idea of their past. Sure, many have had they ebay turbos live and others have had them go out in a fantastic blaze of glory.