1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Welding STICKY

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by turbo54, Jan 12, 2005.

1. sweat90lx

:2thumbs: wow great sticky!!
    i have no experience in TIG, but lots of stick and mig(im a railroader) I have welded SS in both but it seems TIG is the way to go with my hotside
    awesome thread for us turbo newbs

2. gucci-stang

Lincoln square wave is an excellent shop machine. Especially using the foot pedal attachment. Even better the square wave has a high frequency capability enabling you to Tig aluminum. U just put the proper grade tungsten in the Tig torch and swap the setting and start welding. Once u get the heat range set properly for the thickness the foot pedal will make a world of difference in the quality and appearance of the weld. And if u decide to make a stainless hotside then I suggest using v-band clamps and flanges. I know a cheap place to get them too. And for welding the thin stainless it will need to be purged with argon. Or it will "sugar" on the Inside. And that's only if ur a good enough to not blow holes in it. It reminds me of "process pipe" which is a high quality thin wall stainless used in the food and dairy industry. And it can be difficult for even an experienced welder to weld.

3. BreakDancer

HELP PLEASE:

Ok, I have a Northern tool 110 welder 135 I believe. I suck with it, 1/3 of the welds I do come out decent. My friend has a 185 220v that makes me feel like a rockstar anytime I weld with it. I'm sure a real welder could do well with mine but its not forgiving enough to cover up my suck. My question is I want to buy the same welder as my friend but I do not have 220v in my garage (I rent so the obvious is not an option)

A) I thought I could build a extension cord and run it off the dryer plug in the basement problem is its still only a 30A fuse and I would need atleast 35ft. I'm not sure of the duty cycle but I'm sure I would be making lots of trips to the breaker box.

B) I have a 3600 watt peak 3000 watt generator it has (4) 110v and (1) 120v plugs could I wire up a 220v plug using the 110v outlets? If so will it have the ass to supply a good current?

C) Buy a name brand 110v welder. Are all 110v welders flakey? The guy at my local welders supply said my welder is made by/with hobarts but im sure thats like saying MTD is made with John Deere. When I use the 220v I strike an arc its strong I can move it around I get a weld I trust :welder: with the 110v it feels inconsetent and weak I would never weld anything important with it. :bang: ( The liner seems good I checked that)

What do you guys think??

4. cat herder

5. BreakDancer

Great video ^^^ That would be awesome if I could get good with this welder. I have some scrap I can play with. Hopefully its the Indian and not the arrows :D

Is there a way to check the wire? I have had this spool on for about a year it looks good no corrosion but I don't know how to tell for sure.

6. TDmkr496

Anyone thought about a welding section??