1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Updated Turbo Sleeper (updated 11-14-11!!!!)

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by dizuster, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Alikazam

Re: Updated Turbo Sleeper (updated 8-23-11)

The BOV is for the turbo; it keeps it from trying to put pressure back against the compressor so that you don't cause excessive wear on the turbo. So if you wanna prolong your turbo's life, I'd put in a BOV. I don't see how it would matter if it was EFI, Carb'd or whatever, as soon as the throttle blade closes and you have pressure against the turbo (surge, backflow) the BOV releases it. Maybe I'm way off base, but that's my take on it. Good luck!

2. jridenour31

Re: Re: Updated Turbo Sleeper (updated 8-23-11)

Lol, thanks.

3. dizuster

Yeah the alt. is going on the opposite side. One more thing I need to mock up yet. The project is getting pretty close. All of the exhaust is done (out to the bumper), so I'm just finishing up the roll bar. Then the car can come home from my buddies, and I can start bolting it back together.

I'm going to try it without any water/meth for now. Lots of guys running non-IC E85 blowthrough setups too... If it doesn't like it, I'll definately add some meth injection...

4. Fury Fan

Exactly. Soemtimes we get caught up in manual vs automatic as the automatic manual needs it, however the only difference is that the automatic closes the throttle less often.

I suppose you could pussyfoot it around with no BOV, but why make a system that you have to be conscious of? Too much else to occupy the brain while driving...

5. Turbofox89

The reason you don't want it to surge with a manual over an automatic is that when it "surges" it slows the momentum of the turbo down. Once that is gone you now have to wait that much longer in order for the turbo to come back into the same RPM range it was. The BOV will release the air, so the turbo can free wheel until the gas is re applied. Most of the larger turbo chargers have people running 50psi without a problem (in this case I would have a BOV though) but for most of us running under 20psi usually, the "surge" is not going to get anywhere near the pressure the turbo can handle. So it's not really hurting it. A few people I know with 76mm master power turbo's are running no BOV, and at around 16psi for quite some time (and not taking it easy on the car either). Checked shaft play etc etc, and nothing has changed from when it was brand new... No offense to MP but if one of those turbo's can take it.. I would sure hope the rest can as well.. In Mad Darts case, the turbo should be rugged enough to take it without an issue. But if you can make one fit, go for it. Definitely not going to hurt it having a BOV.
    (Not trying to start a fight or hijack his thread either, just explaining my opinion on it)

6. Mad Dart

I am running 2 50mm Blow Off Valves on mine. Not that it needs 2, I mostly did it for the uniform look.

A couple pictures of the Mock engine in the car.

phpHiGhcfAM.jpg #ad

phpV754FaAM.jpg #ad

7. CW25

Running no BOV is hard on the turbo, period. It may live forever ,it may live for a month. Why risk it for a hundred fifty bucks.

8. furious70

I didn't put one in, turbo dodges didn't have one and they had 7/70 warranties on them?

9. Turbofox89

A lot of the Buick Grand National guys don't use them either

It all comes down to the person and room. If it make you feel better to run one, then definitely go for it. If you don't have the room or not really sure if you need it. Then just leave it off and give it a shot. You can always add one later as well.

10. dizuster

I made some progress on this thing so I thought I'd update this thread. A lot of the details are getting sorted out so I relisted below the entire build.

It's sort of a budget build, but I tried to make sure I spent money where I thought it was important.

Well here it is...

360" Small Block Mopar (1/2 hard block fill)
    Stock crank/rods with ARP bolts
    Probe SRS series pistons 9.3:1 comp.
    Total Seal Rings (1//16 Stainless top/Napier 2nd gapped .024/.018 )
    Ported Iron heads (2.02/1.60 inconel ex) Flow 250~260/170~180cfm
    Hydraulic Roller cam (224/218, .500/.500, on a 114, in at 111)
    Single plane old Torqer 340 Intake
    Non Intercooled Blouw Through E85 HP750 from Horsepower Solutions, with a CSU hat and a 50mm BOV

Dodge truck manifolds swapped side/side, 2.5" stainless hotside.
    Single S475 (1.32 A/R version)
    Dual 2" WG bypass of each hotside into one 60mm gate
    5" out of the turbo, down to single 4" all the way to the bumper with a single straight through muffler behind the axle

9.5" PTC converter (3200~3400 flash on motor)
    727 trans, manual valve body, good clutches/bands, etc...
    ;1
    8 3/4" rear end, 3.23" posi, leaf springs, with 255/60 drag radials out back

Single A1000 pump (with the A2000 regulator) -8 feed, -8 return, MSD digital 6 ignition, and an MSD Launch Boost Controller to tame the launch.

I'm hoping to make 600hp at the tire, and get this 3600lb+ pig into the low 10's.

What do you guys think? I'm sure an intercooler would have helped, and a transbrake with big tires would help it too...but I think for the most part I'm on the right track?

Fuel system ok with the -8 feed? 9.3:1 with an iron head too much for a non-IC E85 blow through?

11. dizuster

12. Mad Dart

Re: Updated Turbo Sleeper (updated 10-16-11)

Looks good! If you have problems with no intercooler on the e85 maybe try meth injection. You should easily be able to hit your 600hp goal as long as your Intake Air Temps stay low enough so you can keep some good timing in it, if the Intake Air heats up early on boost that will be your hold back. Refer to Meth if that happens.

I bought a complete set up from AIS. I am using dual air to water intercoolers a Heat Exchanger/Radiator for them with 2-10" fans and meth injection on Pump Fuel.

13. Alikazam

Looks pretty good to me :) Look forward to seeing how this build turns out! :)

14. CW25

Just a observation but the turbo will probably be a little laggy and the converter little loose. My converter will only flash to 2800 at best but will go to 4200 under boost.

15. dizuster

Yeah I think it might be a little laggy too, but the looser converter should help that. The motor is pretty decent size though (almost 370"), so I'm hoping it won't be too bad...

The converter I just had to trust Kenny at PTC. He does LOTS of turbo stuff. He's got to be better at picking it then I am... lol

16. M&M Turbochargers

lookin good

17. dizuster

Thought I'd update this since I haven't really posted anything for a while'¦ (too busy working on the car!!!)

First of all, just to correct. It IS a divided housing... 4" is actually somewhat small. Everybody that has big HP cars with this turbo actually runs 5", but like Mike said, no room so 4" will have to do. I think it'll be fine anyway, it's the least of my wories...

Got the motor set in it this weekend. Everything is coming together pretty nicely. The only thing not cooperating is the lower radiator hose, I might be "challenged" there to make it work with the drivers side cross over tube (since they are pointing at each other and only 3/4" apart! lol Other then that, so far so good.

Got the motor built and in it, trans built and in it, shocks on, driveshaft loop on, fuel cell and pump mounted and wired, gauges mounted, etc... Just need to finish up some of the fuel system and wiring, and I'll be good to go.

Car's going back to Mr. P-bodys in the spring to finish up the cage, but I'm hoping to have this thing running and on the dyno in 2 weeks. It's been a thrash lately to make that happen!

Anyway'¦ thought you guys might like to see the progress'¦

P.S. Don't mind those shiny "fancy" wheels. They are just on there temporarily for the dyno until I can find some rusty 15" green steelies to mount my new drag radials on'¦ lol

18. dizuster

19. dizuster

20. CW25

Little late on the reply but I was thinking it was a 340" motor with the big housing. Giver' shit and see how you like it.