1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Turbo Buick Skylark 2

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Twin Turbo Skylark

Yes it is not too too much work but some $... The passenger door will not open, as the fender is pushed in, door is bent, etc. Fender flare, mud flap, bumper brackets, fender, inner fender, I am mostly pissed because it is taking time away from my Buick.

2. BlownShovel

yep - life happens and well damn deer

3. Twin Turbo Skylark

As I was saying before I plan on trying to break the current world record for the Buick 350 HP which is currently 1021 HP at the crank.

A friend of mine e-mailed me these calculations and if we can get the heads flowing these numbers it should be possible with my parts.

Cam calculations for the heavy duty engine dyno run using the Holset turbocharger:

This is a compressor map for a Garrett 88mm turbo similar to your Holset 88mm.
    If we figure a maximum boost of 25 psi, that is a pressure ratio of 2.75
    I have drawn a load line in orange on the graph at a pressure ratio of 2.75 representing where the turbo will operate at 25 lbs of boost.
    At lower boost levels the load line shifts down and to the left staying within the operating range of the graph.

If you look at the bottom of the graph you will see that the engine must pump between 80 and 140 lbs/min of air at that pressure ratio.
    Our job is to get the engine to pump that much air in order to match the turbo compressor for the turbo to operate correctly.

[​IMG]#ad

We now know that the engine must pump a maximum of 140 lbs/min at 25 lbs of boost.
    If we limit the engine rpm to 7500, a quick calculation using a hand calculator shows that the engine must have a Volumetric Efficiency close to 100%.

Below are the PROJECTED GOAL not actual head flow numbers for the heads as they are still in the R&D phase and will not get to the head porting guy for another few months.

Intake
    .100... 76
    .200... 162
    .300... 236
    .400... 289
    .500... 327
    .600... 334

Exhaust

.100... 56
    .200... 124
    .300... 179
    .400... 210
    .500... 238
    .600... 250

The 350 roller cam blanks are limited to .380" lobe lift with a LSA range of 108 to 112 at that lift.
    With a 1.6 rocker you get a .608" max lift.
    You will need all the lift you can get for a 100% VE.

In order to keep the LSA close to 112 degrees using high boost, it requires an exhaust header with long and equal length primary tubes.

If we take the above flow numbers
    9:1 compression ratio
    3.830" bore, 3.85" stroke
    1.920" intake valve, 1.550" exhaust valve
    Valve lift .600", LSA 113 degrees
    Make the intake and exhaust duration the same.

We get the following from the engine simulation software we get 1300 HP and 950 TQ with this 355 inch engine.

Notice we have just over 100% VE from 5500 rpm to 7000 rpm.
    Also notice it took a .050" duration of 245 degrees to do it.

[​IMG]#ad

Finally if we take the VE numbers from the engine sim software and plug them into the turbocharger calculator you get the following:
    http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/afterm...wts=400&pt6_wd=83&pt6_wd2=74&pt6_wrsin=92044&

4. Twin Turbo Skylark

I just got news from King Cranks that my custom Timken 4130 billet crank$haft is done:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. 74chlngrTT5.9

6. Twin Turbo Skylark

Bent my bumper back into shape, swapped out the fender, and it is almost back to looking good!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Getting a set of street wheels setup, and also a set of dyno wheels... Got some 15x12 polished rims for the MT Sportsman tires for street, and some cheap black rims for some 295/50R15 radials for dyno use. Then I will only use the current big drag radials for quarter mile racing.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. BlownShovel

any updates on the car or the truck?

8. flyinhillbilly

^^^what he said^^^

9. Hemann

What they said.

Any updates?

10. Twin Turbo Skylark

Sorry for taking a long time to get things together whats going on is that I am not sure if I want to swap in my good engine that is on the stand or if I want to wait till my super good engine is done and just swap that one in. Last time I ran the car I did a high RPM pull to see what would break as I knew I was swapping out the mostly stock engine...

I ended up having about 22% converter slip and blowing a head gasket during this dyno run so I am pulling this engine right away:

Next I can swap in the new converter that I have to tighten things up, I just dont know if I want to do the swap and then do it again to get the really good engine in there.

My really good short block is done now, took about a year as it was all custom parts, custom billet crank from KING, custom rods, custom pistons, custom block girdle, etc but it turned out really well and all the parts are designed to handle more than I plan to push. Sticking with 355 cubes, and my small T3/T4 turbos as I love the instant boost with no lag. My next hold up is the alum heads that do not exist for my Buick 350 are currently being designed by TA performance and I get the first set after the prototype is tested. I have a pro head porter who will work his magic on the heads once he gets them. I will dyno the engine NA to make sure it is healthy then maybe do a test with a big 88 mm turbo then into the car...

I did sort of get sidetracked with things because I bought a tow truck and I am converting it to a car hauler, and I also bought a 24 foot enclosed trailer and I am building a little shop at the front of it to hold tools. I will show pics of that stuff to prove I am getting stuff done... Oh and have another baby boy coming in Aug, and working 6 or 7 days a week so its crazy.
    I have been busy buying and selling vehicles, and collecting stuff...I normally would never buy a Ford but this one was a super deal so I grabbed it:

1991 Ford F-350 with 460, 5 speed overdrive manual, 4x4, 4.10 gears, 10 foot tilt flat deck, 25,000 pound PTO winch. It even has an engine hoist setup that mounts into the flat deck.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

ell I have been up to my old tricks... Got some more Buick 350 engines for pretty much free:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

My new enclosed trailer, dirty, but darn nice unit. That is my friends truck he loaned to me but it pulls well.

[​IMG]#ad

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

[​IMG]#ad

A friends Vette that just got painted:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the snow melted it has been WARM:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Getting ready to assemble a good engine with Herche rods and Diamond Pistons, just waiting for a custom Scotty Brown cam... And I have to clear out some chevy and ford engines!!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]#ad

12. Twin Turbo Skylark

Got my cool old chevy truck outfitted, body work will be done this summer:

[​IMG]#ad

And got a spare 460 for my tow truck:
    [​IMG]#ad

I was able to fit 4 LS engines in the back of my truck, and tons of LS parts in the back seat. My truck is LS powered and I want to collect a bunch of LS engines as they are so darn cool! Wont use em in the Buick but still cool. Check out the GT-45 turbo I got compared to my big holset one!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Maybe I need to build a compound turbo setup??

13. Twin Turbo Skylark

And here is the plan for the tow truck to car hauler conversion, paying a pro to weld it up for me:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

14. 55Chevy

Well you've been collecting stuff that's for sure! Everything looks good as far as I can see especially the car hauler plan. You're making a roll back tow truck which is really handy. Congrats to you guys on the baby!!! Nice JD

15. Twin Turbo Skylark

Got some skinny street tires mounted and balanced, lots of tread on these ones should keep the cops from pulling me over thinking my tires were slicks. Will use the big meats for the track and these pizza cutters for the street.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. BlownShovel

that will work nicely - Have to keep the law off your back. The DOT stickies barely have legal tread brand new. I've been caught up on that one before.

17. 55Chevy

Back in the 80's early 90's those Sportsman Pro's were Hot for street traction! Those and the old ProTrac tires were really similar. JD

18. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, they will be perfect for the street I think and they should last a long time now that I can haul the car around on my Ford car hauler and just drive it when I want to, far less miles on the car and no need to worry about break downs as I can load it back up.

Here are the drag tires:

[​IMG]#ad

19. BlownShovel

It's funny you say that---- every time I see those tires I remember that those were THE option for tubbed street race cars. Not fantastic but as good as they had 25 yrs ago. We ran those on several of the cars.

good memories

20. Cpt. Slow

that tread gives me some good childhood memories. I'm 26