1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Turbo Buick Skylark 2

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Twin Turbo Skylark

No I am using a custom controller that my friend built for me about 5 years back... It uses paddle shifters on the steering wheel for instant manual shifts at the fingertips...

The 4L80E is stock rebuild, but I know all the upgrades needed and will upgrade it when or if it ever needs a rebuild.

2. Twin Turbo Skylark

Anyone else think I may have an ignition issue???

3. Hemann

I didn't hear anything. The pull is very quick like it was spinning on the rollers.

4. BlownShovel

I didn't hear anything clearly wrong. What are you running for ign again?

I'm looking to upgrade to either a 7531 or 6530 + HVC coil -- Hemann you still have the coil you were selling a while back?

5. Twin Turbo Skylark

Just a cheep no name box and hei. I have much better stuff here but was going to save it for when I put in a fresh engine...

6. Hemann

Sorry its sold.

7. BlownShovel

I thought so. I say it might be worth swapping esp if you have the new stuff just for the insurance

Thanks for checking Hemann

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

The head is at the machine shop they are going to tell me in the next few days if it was warped or not... Getting it re surfaced slightly anyway for a fresh sealing surface even if it is not warped. The rev limiter was set to 8000, as I was doing some part throttle testing at 7500 in 2nd gear the night before and forgot to lower the limiter... GPS says I was going 102 MPH in 2nd gear at 7500 RPM, wild ride.

Lowering the boost to 7 or 8 PSI for a while till I can swap out the converter... The bottom end has passed my torture testing so it deserves a break, RPM limit is 6500 now.

On a good note I got my torque converter. Talked to the techs with TCI and they say it should stall at about 3800 RPM with my combo and can handle 1200+ HP without an issue. In fact they said they have guys running 2500 HP on these converters. My current converter was a 3800 stall rated for 700 HP but it could not handle my little 350 on high boost:

TCI 251412

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tci-251412/overview/

I used my handy little jacking cart to un-load my 4L80E, it was not high enough so I used the spare tire LOL. Very handy little carts:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. 38Pontiac

To bad on the head gasket, but if anyone can get it to the century mark, you can! . :)

10. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks for the support, having a lot of fun with this car!!! I will get it dialled in, and reliable.

11. midnightlaundry

LOL, that's awesome. This car is badass. :applause:

12. Twin Turbo Skylark

Good news! The head was in need of milling and the surface irregularities are most likely the cause of my head gasket issues. The head is back from the shop now all smooth and freshly milled. Waiting on some intake gaskets and then I can get some miles on this car before the snow flies.

The passenger side head has been fine but the drivers side head gasket has gone 3 times now.

13. 38Pontiac

What's this ........Snow you speak of? Lol glad to hear its back, and coming together!

14. Bacon

That's awesome news! Can't wait to see it moving again!

15. 74chlngrTT5.9

Always nice to find answers.
    Pound on it once for me.

Mike

16. agustin

Are you using head studs or bolts? a cheap ebay set of studs might help seal things up if you're on bolts

17. Twin Turbo Skylark

Good idea. Yes I am using ARP studs... The one side is awesome no leaks just need to get this drivers side sealing and I should be good. Milling the head should help

18. Twin Turbo Skylark

I have the engine out as I thought it was easier than pulling the trans on the floor of my garage, so I can instal the new converter:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tci-251412/overview/

My current plan is to add bleeder valves so I can dial the boost up and down, and work up from 4 PSI on up, setting the RPM limiter down at 6000 from the 8500 it is at now. Will book a dyne day in the next few weeks.

I picked out a set of tires for street driving so I do not wear down the drag tires and also so it can be driven home if it rains. I went with a Centerline 15X12 with 3" backspace, and 31X16.5 sportsman tires, should give me both good traction on the street and have less cops pulling me over thinking my drag radials are slicks. Will post up picks once I get them on.

I had a setback a few weeks ago when my truck was going 70 MPH and a HUGE deer ran out and made a mess of my truck. Found a parts truck for $500 and it has a fresh 5.3 LS engine wit 50,000 on it, no trans or t-case, but same colour as mine so I can swap body panels. Truck would have been a write off if it was not for my Ironcross bumper. I had to order two new brackets to re connect the bumper to the frame as they bent up on impact. I need to straighten the bumper using my winch and snatch block, but it will come out okay.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. 55Chevy

Dang deer! Sorry to hear the news at least you made it unharmed!

20. BlownShovel

This time of year deer are hopping everywhere. Sorry for the luck but doesn't look as bad as i thought - but lots of effort lining things back up