1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Turbo Buick Skylark 2

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jemachine

I enjoyed the video! Sounds great going into boost, the problem is being able to keep your foot out of it and not getting in trouble lol. I like watching the progress in your build thread , now go and enjoy all your hard work and cruise it whenever you can!:2thumbs:

2. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks! Yes it is tough to get into boost and stay out of jail lol... Speed limit on the highway is about 65 mph. I have 3 spare engines ready to go in so I am ready in case this one pops. Dyno day is tmrw, wish me luck guys!

3. racerron67

watching your video i noticed your oil pressure at 2000 rpm is only 20 psi and when you are in the drive way idling the oil pressure looked like 10psi

4. Twin Turbo Skylark

Yes good eye... These buicks are notorious for low oil pressure... They normally stay reliable though.

I have a belt driven external oil pump for my good engine...

5. supedstang

sounds good, where are you getting it dynoed? Im guessing it makes 528hp @20psi

6. Hemann

Cool video. Spools up fast. Is the transmission automatic no brake?

7. Twin Turbo Skylark

I drained some of the 10w30 and added some 40 weight oil as a temp. Fix to get the oil pressure up.

It is a 3 speed auto with no brake... The whole video was in 2nd gear except when i leave gently from a stop... With the 4.56 gear it changes out of first really really quick... I disconnected the kickdown cable so it will not gear down when you floor it... This way i can get into boost on the highway in 2nd or 3rd without it gearing down and spinning the tires.

I had the gear selector in 2nd for the video so it stayed in 2nd once i was moving.

Dyno is today at HP Solutions!!.

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

I am working night shifts but I managed to find time to get the car on the dyno today quickly before work.... I felt a little bad for the poor original numbers matching 350 so just before the test I lowered the boost to 16 PSI from 20 hoping to keep from spitting the stock rods across the dyno room.

The dyno operator let off the throttle at 3500 RPM as we had a header gasket blow out. So we do not know the peak HP or TQ yet but we did get some good data. The carb was set a little bit lean for a boosted engine so I will dial that in before it goes back. The calculators say that 450 HP at the tires is about 550 HP at the crank. I guess 450 HP at 3500 RPM is pretty good! Was planning to rev to 7000, oh well next time!
    It may be a little while till I get it back on the dyno, work and the new little guy are keeping me busy...

9. Twin Turbo Skylark

Well I was looking for some intercooler stuff on line and found this Hc5a Holset turbo off of a 20 Liter Kta-19 Cummins engine.

This turbo is brand new remanufactured with 0hrs. Has an upgraded dual vain 41 cm exhaust housing with T6 flange. Both compressor and exhaust wheels are brand new. Center journal bearing section is brand new.

Compressor is 88mm and exhaust is 139mm. Turbo produces 2450 cfm peak. Good for close to 2000hp.

My plan is to use this huge single on the engine dyno to test my good engine when it is done. Shooting to break the 1021 HP world record.

Will keep the two small twins on the car, but just want a big single for testing purposes. Added some better head gaskets to the car tonight. Went great, so easy to work on this car... I know all the wrench sizes and keep em handy!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. supedstang

Damn that new turbo is a monster.

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, yes it is big! I am working with the guidance of a professional drag race tuner to spec out this turbo setup to break the world record for hp out of a buick 350. Current record is 1021 hp on race gas.

He says this turbo should work well with my good engine... I am fabbing up a hot side just for engine dyno use. Full length headers facing the front of the engine, 2.5" collectors, muffler shop bent 2.5" exhaust to a flowmaster merge pipe to a T 6 flange.

Using an air to air intercooler and the water meth injection. Going to leave my car alone and not steal any parts to do this. Then will swap the good engine into the car and run the twins on it.

I am working to get the car back on the dyno for a clean run!

12. 70GTO

Great vid. Puts a smile on my face.

13. Twin Turbo Skylark

Another one here:

14. Twin Turbo Skylark

Well having some frusteration... Blew another head gasket, 3rd time on the same head while other head has been fine. Was at 7000 rpm at 17 psi when it went, no sign of detonation on the plugs. Having that head milled to hopefully get it to seal up.

Found that the converter is getting pushed through when on high boost, decided to swap out the built th-350 for a 4L80e. Got a good 80e from a friend I trust with 10,000 miles on it before he wrote off the truck. $200 so I was happy will run it as is and rebuild it when or if it needs it... Gotta order a hughes converter. I have a paddle shifter setup already so it will be manual shifted from the steering wheel no computer needed. Toggle switch on dash for lockup converter.

Leaving the th-350 in for now and lowering boost to 8 psi gonna try to gain some reliability and the converter is fine on low boost...

Trying to keep from tearing the car down all at once, want to keep it running while improving it.

So no exciting news but will get it together!

15. Navy_mike

Why are you running 4:56 gears?

16. Twin Turbo Skylark

The guy who built the car picked the gear for when the car was naturally aspirated at about 300 hp pushing 32" tall by 20" wide tires. My plan is to swap in a 3.42 gear. However if i swap in the overdrive gear i will leave the rear end alone unless I have an issue with it. I am trying to avoid ripping the car appart.

17. Navy_mike

Even with a overdrive that gearing is s terrible choice. Making the power you are shooting for that car needs a 3:33 or so.

18. Twin Turbo Skylark

I agree like i said if it comes apart it will be a 3.42... The 32" tall tires do need some gear. Also the turbos build boost instantly so it is not like a laggy setup that needs a low numeric gear to aid in spooling. The other factor is that i may just replace the whole rear end with a better unit if needed so no point in spending money on this one especially if it is working fine.

19. Navy_mike

Makes since that is a really tall tire.

20. Hemann

Sorry to hear about the head gasket. I bet you are getting good at replacing it.

With the 4L80E do you just put a manual valve body in? Or are there other changes to the transmission?