1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Turbo Buick Skylark 2

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. BlownShovel

any luck at the dyno?

2. Twin Turbo Skylark

No turns out i popped another head gasket at the same time as the header gasket...

Man this car is not making it easy on me! I guess me forcefeeding it 20 psi when it is used to 8 is a little mean of me but I am getting there!

I was going to re torque the heads when i got home since it had been a few heat cycles on new head gaskets.... Blew the one gasket before i re torqued it... Felt a bit loose when I removed the stud bolts... It is all back together and leak free again but I cant get time off work till aug 18 to dyno it....

The car is crazy fast I am For sure going to do a dyno run at 20 then another at 8 and leave it on low boost till i learn to drive this car... Its fuckin sketchy getting loose at speed at part throttle is insane!

Car gets LOTS of looks!

3. flyinhillbilly

What's your timing under boost? That thing is hell on head gaskets.

4. Twin Turbo Skylark

23 degrees under boost with the water meth. I think it was just loose head stud bolts. They were 85 foot pounds at first but didnt feel that tight when I tore it down.

5. Navy_mike

Are you lifting the head under boost?

6. Twin Turbo Skylark

Yes I think the head lifted slightly due to the lack of torque on the stud nut... Only the one cylinder blew out. I have some high $ gaskets for my good engine but using cheep gaskets on this stock pile of crap race engine.

7. Twin Turbo Skylark

Yes I think the head lifted slightly due to the lack of torque on the stud nut... Only the one cylinder blew out. I have some high $ gaskets for my good engine but using cheep gaskets on this stock pile of crap race engine.

8. flyinhillbilly

Is the dyno plan to start low and ease it up or just go straight to the piston = ashtray tune?

9. Twin Turbo Skylark

The plan is to go in at 20 psi and tune as needed for that.

It is an all or nothing thing I am not looking to be nice to this engine its a test mule.

Even if it breaks I want a dyno graph to show the potential power then I will come back with a better short block if it breaks...

I will be more cautious with the tune when using one of my good engine$.

10. ss496

Im lazy......I try to avoid breaking stuff when I can.....I start low and work my way up...........you have no idea what your spark requirements are at that level.....hence the tendency thus far for stuff to pop.....enough stuff can break when you are being cautious...let alone going about it this way...but to each there own...there are many paths to Rome.

11. ivanhoew

yup , ithink id run 10d to start on the dyno ,and work my way up rather than down .

12. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks for the advice guys... I will lower my timing a bit and sneak up on that.

My theory is that it would be a waste of money doing dyno tests at low boost because the carb and timing settings will be different on high boost...

My plan is to try to dial in the tune at wot with as least ammount of pulls as possible and then swap in the better short block.

I also want to find the limits of the stock short block because I have a publishing deal for a book I am writing about SBB engines... Will tear down the stock engine after the 20 psi pulls to see its health... Or diagnose the parts that fail.

13. tjohnson

Updates?? I am curious to hear what it did

14. Twin Turbo Skylark

Dyno day got pushed back to Aug 25th due to me working too much...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  15. Twin Turbo Skylark

I thought it might be fun to have people guess what the rear wheel HP and TQ will be with my combo and see who is the closest... Dyno runs on tues coming up.

Buick 350
    355 Inches
    3.830 bore
    3.800 stroke
    stock short block
    ARP studs
    Home ported heads with stock valve sizes, no flow numbers
    mild street cam is 225 intake and 230 exhaust, .500 lift
    20-22 PSI of boost
    Snow water/meth injection
    23 degrees of timing locked out
    CSU carb for the combo
    T3/T4 Turbos
    Dual 3" exhaust
    TH350 trans
    3800 stall
    4.56 gear
    32x18.5 tire

Here are the estimates people have already made...

No guesses on the peak RPM of the HP and how much TQ it will make?

16. tjohnson

628 rwhp

17. Twin Turbo Skylark

I was able to take the car out for a quick spin today and dip into the throttle a few times.

***After 645 minutes in is crap but I didn't have time to edit it out***

And sorry for the squeeky windows, I still need to put the new weatherstripping and window sweeps in after the paint job.

So here is a quick run, with me respecting the power, and testing it out a bit... At no time in this video do I floor it, this is part throttle::3gears:

&feature=em-upload_owner[/url]

18. Rickracer

530 rwhp

19. BlownShovel

Nice drive. I liked the short but accurate commentary fyeah! Great feeling congrats

For the vid - go pro?

20. Twin Turbo Skylark

Yeah guys I have been having my challenges with the car so it was just really exciting that I was able to go for a drive and have it haul ass and run well. I am having a blast!