1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Turbo Buick Skylark 2

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Mnlx

That's looking like a serious build...keep the pics coming.

2. Twin Turbo Skylark

At that point we could start with the custom crankshaft. I sent a stock crank to King Cranks in the USA where they copied it and made a billet version that they say is good to 2000 HP. They CNC machine the part, rough machine, then freeze it (cryo-treating), secondary rough machine, freeze it again, and then final machine. The Freezing helps align the molecules in the metal and increases the strength.

We even gave the specs for what we wanted the main and rod journals to be and they were PRECISE. This way we got the oil clearances we wanted and will be using stock sized bearings so that it can be rebuilt using 10 thou or over 20 thou bearings at a later date.

RODS 1.9993
    MAINS 2.9995

The Herche connecting rods are a custom run of stock spec forged rods that are 100 grams lighter than stock and MUCH stronger.

The JE custom pistons are ordered to give me 9:1 compression with zero deck, custom dish, custom valve reliefs, and these are 150 grams lighter than stock.

So a total of 250 grams of weight savings per cylinder for a total reduction of 4.4 pounds of weight reduction which will reduce the stress on the crank and block.

The bob weight of 1755 grams was determined once the custom JE pistons came in and we gave that bob weight to King so they balanced the crank to that spec so it was ready to bolt together once we got it. SFI damper and flexplate for an internal balance will keep some stress off the rotating assembly as well.

Next are the alum heads that are also custom. TA performance stepped up to the plate to provide the first set of aftermarket heads for the Buick 350 and I get the first set! I am having a professional head porter do a max effort job on them and then we will dyno test it naturally aspirated. A custom cam for the combo will be ground once we have the head flow chart.

And to top it off I have a publishing deal for a book about Buick 350 Performance which will be released once the testing is complete.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  3. Mnlx

Yeah, the Buick oiling has always been suspect, I grew up building Amc's so know how that goes. That is an impressive girdle, it reminds me of the girdles the super stock diesel pullers run. I've seen the block give up before the girdle on them.

4. Pro-SC

That would be cool, would love to check it out one day!
    I am about to start my build once I finish getting my garage together. I have so many parts and need to get organized before I get started!
    That crankshaft sounds awesome and good luck on the book deal, that would be fantastic if you get that happining!

5. Twin Turbo Skylark

FINALLY the alum heads are almost ready to ship out to the head porter... I am getting the very first set of Buick 350 aftermarket alum heads ever made EVER. Very exciting!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  6. Turbo Meister

Congratulations...not many can make that statement!

7. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks! Part of the reason they are sending them to me is because my head porter is one of the best and being a prototype this will help make a better head for the mass production versions once my freind works his magic...

8. BlownShovel

Way to go man.... I helped with some Poncho and BBC heads back in the day. Nothing like the first set ... that said hop all is solid and no casting issues. Check check and check.

9. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks , good advice!

Here is the low cost EGT kit I got to help diagnose why I'm blowing the number 3 head gasket. It's only 2 Chanel but I can add bungs to all 8 header primaries and move the probes as needed. Bring able to see the exhaust temps will give better info than just the oxygen sensor can give as it's an average of 4 cylinders anyway.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. BlownShovel

Hope that helps you out. I have a 2 probe setup. One thing to keep in mind you may see similar temps weather rich or lean. IE if you are lean lets say you see 1700* - you can also see that if overly rich as the extra fuel is still burning coming out of the port. again this is with my pcharged setup but knowing which side of the curve (rich/lean) is important

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks good point, it will be one more tool to try to nail down the tune... Where do you have your EGT probes mounted?

12. BlownShovel

currently tied to my frame rails ;-) I plan to install them back into the header collectors - Installed new headers - you will want to place yours right on each port to help determine your cyl #3 issue

13. Twin Turbo Skylark

Yes thats right, thats the plan, a bung in each header primary and use one in cylinder 3 and one in a happy cylinder and go from there.

14. Twin Turbo Skylark

15. Mrich0908

O man Step side GMT400 is my favorite truck hands down. Im jealous .Build looks killer though great job.
    The EGT gauge and sensor I just bought was 30$. Its a cheapo but its better than nothing.

16. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, I really like it the step side is really growing on me!

It has no engine or trans but comes with two transfer cases so the LS engine swap is half done, no need to remove anything before I start!

I winched it up onto my deck truck just to try out the winch, worked well...

[​IMG]#ad

I removed the deck off of that truck and I am getting ready to put it on my 2000 E-450 which I just got done rebuilding the front end and adding cab controlled air bags. It drives like a dream, just about ready to remove the cube which will be an engine shed in the back yard LOL! The 7.3 Turbo diesel is pretty darn good I must say, idles up big hills even with the huge cube on there. About a 10,000 pound payload and longer wheelbase for my deck.

[​IMG]#ad

Cutting the cube free from the cab:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The headache rack:

[​IMG]#ad

Got the deck off the other truck:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Traded the old ford that had the deck on it for this!

[​IMG]#ad

Still waiting on the alum heads to move forward with the Buick 350 build....

17. bnokle

18. bnokle

So are there any updates?

19. Twin Turbo Skylark

Hi guys, no good update I am sorry... I am still waiting for the prototype Buick 350 heads to be finalized so the engine is at a stand still. Frustrating but I know it will work out really well eventually. If the heads are not done soon I will drop in another iron headed engine.

I have been getting a lot done though. We had another baby boy, he’s now 16 months old and the big guy is 3 years old.

Over the past few months I was busy building myself a garage. I did all the work myself from the foundation to the roof. It was not my dream shop but it’s good enough to get some work done on the vehicles. 28 feet deep, 22 wide. Plus a 16 foot cube attached for storage and a workshop. I built it attached to the house that I rent out to a tenant. I had some issues with theft so building it attached makes it easier for the tenant and thier dog to keep an eye on it.

2A35AE8D-D899-42B4-9DDD-FAD7C64012A9.jpeg #ad

56C8F6EC-573B-4CCF-8461-96AEA16AB018.jpeg #ad

F3028FA2-D9E4-4392-8ED8-D870223E3EB4.jpeg #ad

B0F1DED7-55B7-4490-99E7-78B488AAC056.jpeg #ad

2B3ABE0F-55F6-484C-8BDF-85E812D361F9.jpeg #ad

79A11307-B9DE-4582-A88E-30F2AF11E8F1.jpeg #ad

3AE706EC-70C1-47F1-9757-71E0518B5C40.jpeg #ad

F228D26C-79A0-426A-842B-E28C56A50B3B.jpeg #ad

20. Twin Turbo Skylark

The good car stays in the garage at our main house, but my 4x4 trucks and other cars are at the rental house. My car hauler truck (2001 E-450 7.3 turbo) is almost done I just need to do a bit of metal work to the deck then mount it. Then I can haul vehicles around without my trailer.

I also did new roof, new floor etc in the rental house over the past year it’s been crazy but good.