1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Turbo Buick Skylark 2

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks guys I'm super busy with working 60-70 hours a week and having young kids does not leave me much time left over. I could have swapped in another mild 350 but I wanted to take the summer off of the car and get other stuff taken care of... Then when the good engine is ready I can put it in...

I'm glad I didn't work on the car this summer the special times with these little babies are priceless.

Progress continues bit by bit and the 2 year old loves sitting in the cars. I can't wait to fire it up for him. Been having them around loud cars and trucks so they are used to it...

2. joeleodee

Unfortunately, my kids haven't taken to an interest in cars no matter how much I've tried. They're star wars type nerds. I don't know where I went wrong. :(

:2thumbs:

3. Twin Turbo Skylark

Ah that's okay as long as they are happy and healthy then that is all that matters... I have a feeling that my youngest boy will not be as mechanically inclined as my older one (2 years) is... He builds and works all day with his toy tools and any of my tools he can get when moms not looking. Lol

You guys will hate me for this one! 2001 gmc crew cab 1500HD 4x4 with 6.0 and 4L80E for $1000 runs great just has a valve cover leak, and a few minor issues but good deal! 8 lug, not the light duty version. If it does not sell quick for a profit I may think about putting a GT-45 that I have on the shelf into it... May be a small turbo for max power but for a street truck I bet it would rip and tow ANYTHING!

Not as nice as my daily driver 05 GMC but it would tow better just as it is!

[​IMG]#ad

4. 74chlngrTT5.9

I understand about the kid thing. Only have one. Daughter in high school basketball. Demanding program to say the least. D1 state champs last year. Program basically runs all year. Car is temporarily taking back seat so it's nice living vicariously thru other builds.

Mike

5. Twin Turbo Skylark

No problem Mike it is all good! Family first!

6. Twin Turbo Skylark

While waiting for the alum heads I am keeping busy! Sold the two transfer cases that came with the truck for more than I paid for the truck.

Putting a Buick 350 and 4L80E into this truck:

The add said "Old truck in my yard need it gone has no engine good for parts... No pictures camera is broken" So took some time to go see and here it is:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

This 1990 gmc came with independent suspension but for real off road abuse you want some solid axles... Tons of work went into this and it's really well done.

[​IMG]#ad

Pulled it up onto the flat deck for safe keeping, love that PTO winch:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. Twin Turbo Skylark

8. gpracer15

I am working on a 67 Chevelle. I have a stock 2006 LQ4. I had planned on installing
    the Holley Terminator EFI carb set up since it has self learn ECU. I will also be swaping
    out the cam to a more agressive lope. I am not to concerned about making peak HP.
    This is more of a fun/show car build so I am not worried about all the track variables.

I am considering a twin turbo set up but have no clue what to look for, size, cost....

I saw your recommendation in another thread for T3/T4 hybrid Toe4 turbos at under $200 each. There are
    so many ones out there costs from 150-2000 so where did you get your stuff and can you
    help me with part numbers for the the main parts needed like turbo, waste gate, blow off valve,etc?

Keep in mind I know what these do but terminology is lacking so be specific if you can.

Do you buy prebent tubing and just cut/weld the tubing and then clamp some areas with the proper
    hose?

Not sure if I can find a cam with this type lope and make it work the the TT set up either.

Im after a low budget set up but I dont want a grenade due to weak and cheap parts....Your comments
    about a 10yr set up sounded appealing especially the cost of your turbos.

Thanks
    Chuck

gpracer15(at)yahoo(dot)com

9. Twin Turbo Skylark

Hi Chuck, e-mail sent

10. Pro-SC

I just read through this full thread. I am not into Gm's, I am a Ford guy but was interested in your Buick as it is different. I think that you should consider running an aftermarket Efi system to be able to control the fuel and air going into your number 3 cylinder to stop if from blowing bead gaskets. gt40 Sbf have the same problem but on cylinder 5 and the best way to control this problem under boost is running a quality aftermarket Eli system. The carb you are using is good quality but cannot make up for design flaws from the Oem for an engine that was not designed to run under boost

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards doing a MPFI but I just love the simplicity of the carb. I do not think that it is the air/fuel ratio causing these issues I am pretty sure it is the block distorting from the engine mounts as the torque hits and making the number 3 cylinder loose ring seal. Before I put my good engine in I will put in another iron head Buick 350 and add some front and mid engine plates to the frame to see if that solves the problem. It is not the $ holding me back it just the way it looks that I love about the carb. I have an exhaust temp. probe setup so I am going to tap into the number 3 and also another cylinder that is happy and see if there is a difference. If I have to go MPFI I will but I really want to do this with the carb.

12. Pro-SC

I hear you, but you will get much better tuning from each individual cylinders and like I said I am not a GM or Buick guy but I like things that are not the norm. The Buick GSS from what year 1969? With the 445 eninge Was rated at having the highest torque of any big block built back in the day, I do not remember the specs but I a pretty sure I am correct.
    There might be a distribution problem with the intake manifold that is making the number 3 cylinder go lean and you will never be able to compensate with running a carb. You can however compensate running sefi . There is a quite amount of good units available and if your Buick runs the same timing as a Chevy sb, then you should have a lot of options.
    To be honest I only know the Ford small block and the newer coyotes as that was what I have been into over the years, but I always liked something differentl.
    I do suggest looking into the intake manifold design to see if the number 3 cylinder gets starved under boost. That could be your problem.

13. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, yes we have another intake manifold to try before going to MPFI but I will if I need to... The exhaust temp meter will be a big help to see if that cylinder is in fact going lean or not as the temps will show that. Thanks for the input it is appreciated.

14. Pro-SC

No problem nice to see another gear head online in the same city!

15. Twin Turbo Skylark

Oh wow I did not notice that! PM me anytime I would be happy to meet up in person and show you my junk.

16. flyinhillbilly

That is a killer truck

- - - Updated - - -

That is a killer truck

17. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, I really like it! The body is MINT, the roll cage is well done etc... I am just trying to decide which engine and trans to put into it as I have a few donor trucks I can use... Leaning towards the 6.0, 4L80E, and T case from a 2001 GM 2500 that I have here. Lots of room for big tires and that body style looks really cool to me.

18. BlownShovel

You always seem to find some cool projects

19. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, jsut waiting patiently on the alum heads as they are not completed yet... I am getting the very first set of BUick 350 heads released to the public so that is pretty cool... Been so busy with the little kids anyways though so tough to work on the car.

20. Twin Turbo Skylark

Some cool pics of my engine build:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad