1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin Turbo Buick Skylark 2

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Twin Turbo Skylark, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ss496

I do not know enough about reading plugs to tell much but I can take pics of the plugs when I have a chance.

No I have not touched the carb, got it from CSU but good idea to verify things. Not sure if the carb blades are prependicular will have to check.

Was running 17 PSI of boost, Race fuel, 22 degrees of timing

Here is a dyno graph of the first blown head gasket. It was in 2nd gear and had tire rub and we had to let off obviously when the head gasket went.

What compression ratio?
    Have you verified the accuracy of your timing marks and pointer?

Do some reading up on looking at plugs...they can tell you alot about distribution (among other things)....individual EGT probes would be the cats ass as well.

2. BlownShovel

That is a pretty flat fueling curve. Overall I see it as avg 12.2 -12.3 any popping or just scorching head gaskets? - My guess is that cyl obviously is getting less fuel or more air

3. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks guys will read up on reading plugs. No popping or issues yes timing is verified as correct.

I think the next move is to try a cast alum intake manifold to see if it eliminates the issue... Maybe the sheet metal intake is causing my in-equal fueling.

Oh and all these engines are 9:1 static from my good ones I haven't used yet to the stocker versions I have them all at 9:1 to reduce the difference that it makes when swapping them out...

Hoping to get the tune sorted out before putting in the high $ bottom end.

4. ss496

17 lbs
    9:1
    22 * timing
    intercooled
    race fuel (I assume 110 oct)

I dont think it is on the edge given above ( I would verifiy timing marks with a piston stop)...but on carb application I would like to see mid to high 11's personally...but with the race fuel, low timing and relativily low boost I would think your 12.2 area is ok.

I think its a smart move to try a cast intake...and definitly read up on plugs.

Any idea your inlet temps going into the carb hat?

5. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, we were going to richen it up a bit however it blew the head gasket before we could. Overall we thought the tune was safe, but will back off the timing, lower the boost, and swap the intake manifold and go from there.

6. Twin Turbo Skylark

Been waiting for the alum heads to be made I am getting the first set of Buick 350 alum heads ever made so that is pretty cool. I hope to have the heads in ther next month or so and then have them fully ported and then we can dyno the engine NA and then put it in the car and add boost. Got this oil pan made and also a dual exhaust temp kit just arived.... Will be able to monitor the exhaust temps on both a happy cylinder and also my problem cylinder (#3) so that I can dial it in and hopefully solve the tuning issues.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. Hemann

That is a pretty pan. That thing seems very shallow in the front.

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

Hi there yes it is very shallow on purpose for three reasons:

1. There is a block girdle almost 1" thick that makes the stock oil pan hit the frame cross-member
    2. I am using a belt driven oil pump so there is no need for the bump in the bottom of the pan to clear the pickup
    3. Because of the deep skirted block the lowest part of the rotating assembly only hangs about 0.600" below the girdle

He still needs to weld on the pickup for the belt driven oil pump, oil temp sender, turbo drains, and oil change drain.

Web 100_0612_zpsnfayfgij.jpg #ad

9. M&M Turbochargers

thats a good lookin oil pan!!!!

10. Twin Turbo Skylark

11. blk2door

Hey sweet V8 BUICK build, what intake will you use for those sweet heads you have coming?

12. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks for checking in! I have two of these intakes here, one will be converted for MP EFI and the other for carbed use. I have a bunch of spare engines, trans, turbos etc so I will build another car at some point with the spare stuff.

image.jpg #ad

13. joeleodee

Excellent. I was going to say you really are building up quite the collection. Thanks for the progress reports.

14. 74chlngrTT5.9

Saliva puddle building. Drool...

15. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, yes I have a lot of stuff... Doing it with cash as I can. I have bought a few cars that I did not show on here:

Got this to monitor my problem cylinder and a happy one to keep an eye on exhaust temps:

[​IMG]#ad

Trailered this $500 insulated shed home today... Perfect for more engines!!! All 2x6 only 2 years old:

[​IMG]#ad

Building this in spring. I designed it and an engineer stamped it. Will be a carport to start then insulated and a 4 post lift next year.

[​IMG]#ad

Putting the shop right here beside the house that I rent out to help pay for this stuff. Renter get the house I keep the yard and he gets to mow the lawn LOL:

[​IMG]#ad

Got a gantry last week:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And this engine crane:

[​IMG]#ad

Got this Shelby 86 Daytona with the turbo 2.2... Waiting for the new fuel tank, new fuel pump and new injectors to get here...

[​IMG]#ad

Teaching Shane how to wrench:

[​IMG]#ad

Still have the 88 Daytona with 2.2 turbo it HAULS with the boost raised up... Super fun to drive but will sell it and then use the $ to paint the 86 Shelby.

[​IMG]#ad

16. blk2door

So many cool projects.

17. BlownShovel

so many toys so little time... I see you have help!!!

18. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, yes not enough time!!! 3/4 done a renovation on the little house then to find a new renter...Hoping for a guy who will keep up the yard work.

Oil pan is done! The engine builder is going to weld in the pickup though:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Turbo oil drains on each side of the pan

[​IMG]#ad

19. BlownShovel

Pan looks pretty sweet

20. 74chlngrTT5.9

wow. pan looks sweet. And man you keep busy...

Eager to see progress.
    Mike