1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Twin F1C Geardrive Camaro AKA Crank 2

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Procharmo, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Tanus

damn does that last one have 4 injectors per cylinder?

2. Procharmo

I'm not sure, I think it does. This is out of my comfort zone..LOL!!!! Heck of a lot of s**t going on at the base of the intake....

Procharged engines often need more fuel than the equivalent boosted turbo car to turn the blowers. That being said the gear driven set up is the most efficient centrifugal method outside of turbines but allows finer throttle control than gas driven set ups. This last one is also a methanol fuel set up which needs more volume than gas..

I'm sure there are EFI gurus on here who could elaborate.

3. Procharmo

4. Procharmo

I received Max handle bars and carbon fibre closeout. Will need the Anvil strut bars as well....

Quality welds and fit and finish.

Great finish, light as a feather. should help keep air flow to radiators....

5. Procharmo

Hotchkis Max handle bars went on pretty easily. Just Make sure you jack the car up to enable you to separate the control arm from the chassis.

The Anvil closeout will need a little adjustment. Possibly because my sheet metal wasn't true when it was assembled back in '93...

The bars should help stop the twisting and increase corner carving abilities without me having to install a full cage.

I should get my 2G chassis bar soon to complete the front end strengthening.

[​IMG]#ad

6. Procharmo

After receiving the welded pipe from Atliss engineering I was for the first time able to assemble the Tial wastgates and check the positioning in the engine bay.

I ordered the V belt pulleys from GZ Motorsports as they were the only ones that offered a 4.5" pulley which just fits in between the two supercharger shafts with dual set screws and a 1/8" keyway. The 4.5" will turn at engine speed and direction powering the alternator. The 3" will turn at blower speed in the opposite direction powering the power steering at a 1.5 reduction

To fit them you have to turn the geardrive shafts clockwise to loosen them, knock the end of the shaft out by an inch or so to get the pulley on the other side. Luckily I was able to do this with no oil escaping the seals.

I had a new V-belt that fitted the alternator perfectly allowing room to tension it. I will purchase a belt for the power steering at the weekend. V belts were used due to the availability of glimmer/toothed belts.

7. Procharmo

Installed power steering belt, aligned and ready to be finally installed.

8. domn8rx

Finally, something on this build i can afford....two belts :doh: This car is just outstanding, great parts.

john

9. Procharmo

LOL!!!! Really it's a lot less expensive than for example a race car with a 25 point cage. But yes you are right, the 700mm v belt for £3.29 from Halfords was a breath of fresh air. No import taxes , no handling fees and it fitted right first time...

Thanks for viewing the thread.

10. dave281sc

I love polished aluminum. That assembly is a work of art there!

Just out of curiosity what does that weigh with the alternator, blowers and everything. It looks like it is a real back breaker to lower into place.

11. huffer

Wicked... :D :D :D :D :D

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

12. Kellyo77

Please excuse my language but, that is bad as fuck. Top notch work.

If I'm not mistaken, Jerry Gunter's 69 Camaro was the one I mentioned in a earlier post. At the time, they were still working on the tuning. Believe it had 2 injectors per cylinder.

13. 86ttTA

Please excuse my language but, that is bad as fuck. Top notch work.

:agree:

14. Procharmo

I guess it weighs a little more than a Yellow top Ultima battery. I guess the the weight of the battery the original massive Becool radiator and chunky Procharger A/A 3 core intercooler are close to the weight of the gear drive, extra blower and two light weight radiators. The car seems to sit at a similar height. It is however a "back breaker" but not as much as when we lifted the block onto the engine stand with our bare hands. I didn't have the hoist at that time.

15. Procharmo

Again well spotted. Funny how there are so few twins featured on the net as they have been around for some time now.

16. Procharmo

LOL! as you have used the "F" expletive It must be OK for me to post this condensed build video.....

lUEIPeGKJdQ[/media]]

17. Procharmo

Only small amounts of progress lately. I have ran hosing to the both the waste gates, both top gate ports Y'ed to the AMS 1000. AMS 1000 to the carb hat and Carb hat to both the gate bottom ports.

Looks like a caged animal inside the Hotchkis G brace bars.

And fitted the Custom Works 2G bar which apart from resisting twisting from cornering and the engine torque will replace strength lost cutting the rad support and lastly protect the blowers from speed humps and possible bad landings from wheelies!!!!!

This is the first time I have pushed the car away from the garage wall. I took the opportunity to see where the blowers line up with the upper and lower grill openings.

18. hotrodder_101

WOW!!! :eek: is all I can say. That thing is sick. Are you worried about twisting the chassis in half with out a cage? Good Lord what a street car.
    Luke

19. Procharmo

I'm just taking as many precautions as possible without going the full 25 point cage route. The Supercharger Store has just pushed the envelope and are now offsetting larger blowers than the F2's.

[​IMG]#ad

So I guess twin F3's are not very far away from being a reality. Say hello to 4000hp on gas!!!!!

20. Kellyo77

I'm looking for more info on that ^^^. Can't find it on the Supercharger Store site?