1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbocharging and mechanical fuel injection?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by Hass828, Jan 30, 2008.

1. ash

hasse:
    yes, have both types, f 535a, and f 535b ( 1 is 1/2 inch the other 5/8)...
    'a' valve yes....
    got all the fuel system.... works great... still have to rework some of the valves to suit each engine
    just a little insight.... by changing main pill ( jet), and having different jets in 'a' valve changes shape of fuel curve..
    smaller main jet, steeper the inital fuel delivery .
    as i said earlier.... have to flow fuel systems ,to map the curve required by engine...
    i run 2 main jets, and 2 hi speeds....
    i run 2 sets on nozzels, ( have seen an engine with 3 sets...)
    'unblown' set same size as if was a n/a injected engine.
    there is a special way to set up these 'unblown' nozzels, to get good idle quality..

you can see now, why my comment was made about "how people bag mfi and turbo's..... because they do not know shit about the fuel systems.."
    cheers
    ash

2. ash

remember.... the vortex blower has a fixed ratio from crank speed to blower speed
    turbos do not....
    turbos have lots more torque down low in rpm.....
    that means it need more fuel, BUT
    the fuel pump is spinning slower at lower engine rpm....
    this creats some small problems..( lack of fuel down low, and too much fuel up high.)

neat numbers... he runs 4.7 @ 156 and 7.3 @ 199 with his sbf 421 cube
    we run 4.7 @ 156 in 1/8 and 7.2 @ 191 in 1/4 mile......
    355 cubes, 30 psi boost
    and high speeds turned around.
    cheers
    ash

p.s
    cool thread

3. SNYPER

Ash what does your ride weigh??

Travis

4. ash

1950 lbs

5. Hass828

Ash, I understand that you would have 2 main jets as your running 2 different sets of nozzles, the point that I was trying to make is that with the boost sensing valve and the A valve I would think that you should be able to have an adjustable mid range. I know that on a drag car that you wouldnt use your mid range very much but I 'm sure that you dont run it to the stageing lanes wide open, you must be able to cruise it some. correct? According to the tech at kinsler , with time served on the tune , it should be very possible. As far as how many sets of nozzles , I would think that the more sets the better. they could come in proggressivly and it would be more tunable.

6. Hass828

thanks

7. ash

hasse:
    2 mains control both sets of nozzels...
    they are staggered , just controled by a port valve... 2 nd set come on after X psi fuel pressure.

staging lanes idle....
    launrch and race wot...

cruise:
    sorry, cannot comment.... never done it.
    donot know enough about the application.
    may have to change barrell valve or have a different lean out valve of some sorts ??

cheers
    ash

8. SNYPER

Bill just switched to Big Stuff 3 and went to IC'D gasoline, I need to keep updated on my info! lol

Travis

9. Hass828

I have three different rpms that I will need to tune for, 1000--1200rpm for idle, 3200--3400rpm for cruise, and 7500--7800 for WOT. With a jet boat there is such a load on the engine, even at cruisespeed , that it should be easy to target and tune for a given rpm. Especially if you have the system flowed to do this. By the way, Another ?, on an alky engine the fuel is still burning when it exits the engine into the exhaust system, thats why the flames at night from an alchol dragster, does this fuel burning in the ex cause any heat related problems with the turbos? Is there actually an advantage from this fuel expanding in the ex system as to provide additional energy to spin the turbos?

10. slow67

11. SNYPER

Your link is what he ran in 07.......he made another switch for 08.......

This is Directly from Bill.......

12. ash

i think the above picture is efi not mfi
    unless it is a combined system, and we cannot see the mfi injecters??

cheers
    ash

13. ash

this is my twin turbo mfi engine
    358 cubes, bowtie splay block,4340 cranks, pro billet rods , roller cam
    dart 238 cc 23 deg alloy heads, jesel comp rockers, comp belt cam drive, je customs pistons, bbc oil pump,
    twin gtk 1000 turbo's

14. ash

my first go at mfi,
    355 cubes, oem 4 bolt block, oem 882 chev heads, flat tappet cam, .510 lift , std valve sizes but stainless series 6000 valves.
    enderle stack injection manifold, with stainless pluenem ontop of each bank of stacks..
    ( very bad idea... bad air distrubution, big stagger of nozzels to get fuel right to each cylinder.)
    twin gtk 550's turbonetics
    went 7.2 @ 191 mph
    1950 lbs race ready....

none of my engines use nos for spool up
    or any electrics bar from msd 10 ignition, and 2 step
    fixed manual boost controller,
    what boost we launrch with, we run the drag race with same boost...
    laurnch @ 24 psi, run with 24 psi

cheers
    ash

15. Hass828

Great looking setup Ash, but of course I have a few questions. Why 4 waste gates ? wouldnt one 46mm or even a 66mm on each side do it? And also, why 4 BOVs ? From the looks of your setup , The plenum that you made with the dual throttle bodies would almost be the same thing as a bugcatcher with two operational throttle blades, cool pics , thanks.

16. Hass828

this question was for you Ash.

17. ash

4 waste gates:
    act in pairs, different springs in each pair, different placement of springs, 1 pair actually are open untill preset boost..
    this i had to make, the rules i race with say no electrics... could use co2, but then i would have to fill the bottles...
    springs...just do the same job...... many ways to do a job, no one way is only right...??

bov:
    i set are actuall open, and are set up in relation to engine vacume.... helps spool up, takes load off comp wheel

bugcatcher:
    lol
    why wreck a good bugcatcher?,. box pluenum tig welded up, to suit a tunnel ram, twin 57mm mustag t/b's
    they were sitting in my cupboard.... probaly a bit small... but away

engine set up is easy, hand filing the barrell valve to suit application, and boost up was harder.
    run a 10 inch stall converter, and that is pulled to 5800-5900 rpm,
    any tighter conv, engine will not pull up, and may need nos, or other help.

Been thinking about your cruise application, in jet boat, no ideas yet, but may think of something.

18. ash

By the way, Another ?, on an alky engine the fuel is still burning when it exits the engine into the exhaust system, thats why the flames at night from an alchol dragster, does this fuel burning in the ex cause any heat related problems with the turbos? Is there actually an advantage from this fuel expanding in the ex system as to provide additional energy to spin the turbos?

this question was for you Ash.

---------------------------------------------------
    hmmmm
    i think you will find, that gas burns hotter than meth.. extra heat hurt ...no, unless it is exccesive
    Don may be better qual to answer than me.
    i got ideas, but no proof of the ideas...
    got a lot to do with cams too...
    my ideas of cams are different to Don's
    they are theories only

19. Hass828

Why would you want a waste gate open until a preset boost level ? that would make your turbos be lazy to spool up. On another note, have you ever thought about running a mag? I've been running one with a twin turbocharged big block chevy with a large shot of NOS and its always worked perfectly. Its a Joe Hunt- Vertex mag.

20. Hass828

Why would you have to hand file the barrel valve?, shouldnt it work correctly if you had the system flowed to work with what you are doing?