1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo wagon

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by caleath, Dec 26, 2020.

1. B E N

The c6 will not be a problem. My truck was 2000lbs heavier than your car is with a stock c6, stock torque convertor and a 460 running 10psi and the trans never hiccupped. Even with a moderately built 460 and 12psi making way over 600HP / 800 ft-lbs all I did was chuck in a cheap 2000 stall convertor and a r-code servo and it handled serious abuse, including 4wd launches. It didn't even have a shift kit. It was a bone stock 9" as well and this was on 33x12.50 tires, I am really shocked the front dana 44 didn't let go.

Turbo 400m works too, they are just expensive to build beyond stock and don't rev much. I ran my stock, 350,000 mile 400m at 16psi trying to get it to break and it just took it. If you can get it to RPM and turbo it you will hit your ET goals with no problems. You will learn a lot from your first turbo build, so do the 400, use a cheap turbo because you will want something else for the 552 and enjoy the boost. The 400 is pretty good for boost because it has relatively small bore, can be fitted with Cleveland heads for good flow and is decently stout in stock trim.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    caleath likes this.
  2. tbird

I had the same thoughts. Leave the 400m and boost it.

caleath likes this.
  3. XKfab

Keep the 400 and pickup a set of stock 4v open chamber heads as they are getting very reasonable as every one is going closed chamber alum aftermarket

4. tbird

What he said above. My tbird was pretty much the combo above for many years. Trans was good for 20+ years with just added clutches and R servo.
    On a 125-150 shot it would go 7.45-7.50 to the 1/8 at 4450lbs.

caleath likes this.
  5. caleath

Is there any info on upgrading these c6 transmissions. I bought a book that has some good info but more sources are always better

6. B E N

If your concerned about it or are doing a rebuild all the hard parts can stay, put in Alto red clutch packs and band , a shift kit (transgo 67-2) or full valve body (manual reverse VB would be best for a drag deal) and an R code servo. Get a stall convertor in it, a higher stall convertor will act like a shock absorber for the trans. That's it, good to go. I have had very good experience with Broader Performance for parts and complete transmissions.

caleath likes this.
  7. caleath

heck they are almost local

8. caleath

Looks like a guy could go nuts with these transmission parts. Like a kid in a candy store. I may have been better off not knowing what’s available

9. Disney Lincoln

You don't need anything. No need to trick out the C6. Like mentioned already, a stock C6 will handle a lot of power. If you MUST do something to it, just do clutches, R servo and a shift kit.

XKfab, B E N and caleath like this.
  10. caleath

No new real progress. I am having to get the shop cleaned out. I have been doing a bunch of reading and studying etc.

11. caleath

I bought two 460 engines and a set of dove heads today...things are moving along

B E N and Disney Lincoln like this.
  12. caleath

Sitting at the Ford dealer waiting on my work truck. I have been looking at 460 camshafts. Any recommendations for one without breaking the bank?

13. B E N

Lunati 10340702 if your going stock bottom end.

14. caleath

I am thanks

15. Disney Lincoln

Big fan for the Comp 268 cam in the 460. Always get a new double roller timing set for a 460 to bring cam timing back.

B E N and caleath like this.