1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo sizing

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BCspeed, Dec 28, 2018.

1. BCspeed

Thanks for your Input,

I can totally agree with everything you're saying. Unfortunately where I'm located in Canada E85 is hard to come by locally there is only one gas station that sells it and they run out from time to time, Best we have at the pump is chevron 94 octane which I currently use now & since I drive it quite often in the summer time It's nice to be able to put gas in my car where ever I end up at being a chevron is around.

I am by no means brand specific either however, because of the cars condition being very clean I wanted to keep a Ford engine in it, I know ls swapping is minimal cutting if not any but it's just what I preferred. That being said if I was to have a drag car specific I wouldn't think twice about throwing an LS platform into a foxbody or any car for that matter. One local at the track here has a foxbody with a 6.0 ls and it ran 10s NA, not sure of the specs but I know it was on the cheap.

I have a friend that's currently building a single turbo 6.0 LS for his split bumper camaro (I believe he's got a build thread on this forum) and shooting for around 600-650 wheel it's going to be mostly a street driven car and see the track from time to time I assume. Maybe I should wait to see how his car is going to be on the streets and see if it's something I'd even want... But then again we always want more power hahaha!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

2. Laminar

Vorshlag weighed an LS1/T56 at 608lbs ready to install, I weighed my aluminum-head 5.0/T5 at 552lbs ready to install. The aluminum 5.3 is basically the same weight as the LS1, right?

3. BCspeed

Don't quote me on this but if I can remember from reading a post I believe a LM7 block is essentially the same thing as the ls1/ls6 except being a cast iron version. So basically a 5.3 alum block (LM4) would weigh in at nearly the same thing as an ls1.

I think your comparison with the 5.0/t5 to an ls1/T56 being different weight would be the transmission. I believe a T5 is just around 80 lbs where as the T56 tremec magnum is at 135 which is basically a TR6060 platform from my understanding, not sure if it's any different in weight from a GM type T56.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. Laminar

Everything you've said lines up with what I've found. Running a TKO on an aluminum-head 302 would be about the same weight as an aluminum LS/T56 combo. Not much weight to be saved there.