1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo identification/ rebuild

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mk3vr6, Apr 27, 2015.

1. mk3vr6

So I can fit any p-trim turbine housing one the turbo? Thanks

2. TurboKits.com

Unfortunately there is a little bit of a gray area here when you are talking about an OEM turbo -vs- Aftermarket. The P-Trim is technically 74mm/64.5mm = 76 Trim, your measurements 74mm/64mm make yours 74.79 Trim. So there is a risk that an off the shelf housing made for the aftermarket P-Trim may not work on your turbo. The only way to know, since that part # and the measurements don’t match up exactly with anything aftermarket, is to test it and find out. The good news is your wheel is smaller, so if anything it will fit with additional space around the exhaust wheel. This, however, can affect response as the exhaust will technically be “leaking” by the wheel to housing gap. Maybe time to recheck the measurements? Could you in fact have a 64.5mm?

3. mk3vr6

I'll double check when I get home and get back to you. Thanks for the help

4. TurboKits.com

Sounds good. No problem, that's what we are here for!

5. Mnlx

We're talking less than .020" difference, and be aware when measuring that the blades are not always 180 degrees apart, and will affect your measurement. I have no doubts about it being a P trim, but I have been wrong before.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  6. mk3vr6

Unfortunately I forgot the micrometer at work. So I'll have to measure it again in the morning. Yea I'm sure the turbine could be worn a couple thousandths too depending on how old it is. All I know is it came off a mustang.

7. mk3vr6

Yep its measuring 64.3(which would probably be 64.5 if the blades were straight across)/74mm so I think I'll be able to fine a smaller housing

IMG_20150501_123607.jpg #ad

IMG_20150501_123607.jpg #ad

8. TurboKits.com

Yes, then it would appear you have a P-Trim wheel and that any P-Trim housing should work for you. Let us know if you want to get one moving. Thanks.