1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Camaro build up. (Race video on pg 12)

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by MEAN_SBC, Jan 1, 2006.

1. MEAN_SBC

Re: Turbo Camaro build up. IT RUNS.

I guess I missed your question jd....

I'm running a single 4" dynatech oval muffler.. It hangs kinda low, and makes it hard to get the car on the trailer, but it sure does make the car quiet. 8)

2. Swiftshifter

The launch looked nice and smooth, set the tires down and was gone! :2thumbs:Nice numbers, bro'!

---==Temio Williams
    Yuba City, CA

3. Dr. Boost

Nice build! :2thumbs: I see you're not running the shaft rockers like AFR recomends for street driving, are you seeing any adverse affects? How do you like the 227's? I was thinking of buying the Eliminator's, I already have ported out Track1's so I can't decide if it's worth it on a boosted application. TIA

4. MEAN_SBC

AFR recommends running an offset rocker on the intakes, or at least that's what they told me... I am running the exact rockers that AFR told me to run with them. The geometry is perfect, and the lash is dead on every time I check it. Call shafiroff and tell them what heads you have, and they know exactly what rockers to sell ya. 8)

5. Mattsv8_03

do you have a pic of the exh with the muffler. im turboing my 89 camaro its a similar turbo

6. MEAN_SBC

No, I don't have pic of that... It's basically a 4" piece of tubing with a 4" dynatech oval muffler on it with a v-band flange on one end, and a dump on the other. There's not really even a bend in it. 8)

7. twinturbobird

Man what a sweeet build!!! Hats of that is just top notch quality!!! IF I can ever get actual work time to finish my project I will some day get finished. All this is making me pretty motivated and rethink my thoughts of just get it running to "lets get those killer rods and blower pistons and go for 16-20 lbs of boost!!

Nice job.

8. Mattsv8_03

is it running under the car? the exh that is

9. Robert1320

Most SBC with a big port will require an offset rocker and/or lifter.
    T&D makes some great shaft setups.

10. MEAN_SBC

Yes, it's under the car... It hangs a little low, but the only time I notice that is when we put it on the trailer. It dumps about even with the front spring hanger.

11. MEAN_SBC

The Harland Sharps I have are offset. They're not shaft mounts, but everything is lined up perfect.

12. MEAN_SBC

Thanks man. 8)

13. Dr. Boost

Brant, Congratulations! Your car is hauling ass! Got couple questions for you. With running the AFR 227 heads, did you have to notch the dish pistons? What kind of piston to valve clearence did you have? If you don't mind disclosing, what is your cam specs? What rocker ratio are you running? TIA

14. MEAN_SBC

Thanks..

The pistons are BME customs that were designed for my heads by my engine builder. I'm running 1.6 ratio Harland Sharps, and damn near .700 lift...

15. twofast

i can't believe i missed this thread. :doh:
    you did a fantastic job! nice work. :2thumbs:

16. 66MONEY-PIT

(Better late than never) VERY NICE WORK SIR!!!!

Gunnar

17. MEAN_SBC

Better late reply than never, Thanks!!! lol :D

18. slow67

I just saw your car on Pass Times :2thumbs: LOL they had no faith (except ken)

19. 71 cam

Hey, just wanted to say I love the car. Wish mine was running that fast!!!. I have a 71 camaro with 372ci with twin 72mm with th400 and 9 inch.I have had alot of problem and have only been able to go 9.40's on 12 lbs. Fuel, computer and transmission issues. Going to switch to BS3. What type (stall) converter do you run? What type and where is your transmission cooler? Do you have any problems with the solid rear disk brakes on the street? I drive my car alot and ended up putting the transmission cooler up front because it was getting hot with the cooler under the back of the car. I think you have a TRZ rack on your car? Did you put it in yoursellf?

20. furchaser

Re:
    « Reply #296 on: September 08, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »