1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

#themustangmafia - My 1989 Foxbody with a Dart 363 and a Borg S475 turbo

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Joeyman, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Joeyman

The reason why I ended up with the 91270 lifters is because ed Curtis specified us to run the high RPM lifter for the custom cam he spec'd for my set up. So that's how I ended up with the expensive ones. After talking to howards the lifters are actually MOREL's that they package as howards.

I need to get the car running again and get another good look at the oil leak situation. After all the money and headache I've had I REFUSE to have a car that leaks oil. I've come to far and spent to much money to have a leaking oil vehicle. Yes I do have a 7qt Canton Pan

2. 1994Musturd

I have a SHP 363 as well. Been fighting it tooth and nail as well. Just had to yank my Canton 7 qt pan becuase of the shit job they did on the main sump weld-Cracked. I was able to re-tig it and get that to seal. Right there with you on the oil leaks man.

What I did different this time around- ARP pan bolts instead of studs and oil pain support rails like the stock pan uses. No more oil leaks from the pan, but sure as shit, still finding a small puddle the next day.

I have had 3 new rear main seals- The last one when the motor was out was that fancy ass one from felpro that comes on a stretching ring. Thought that would work for sure. NOPE. I dont know if its something with the block or rear main cap, but I have NEVER been able to stop the rear main dribble. Its better now, but still annoying. If you figure it out, please let me know, LOL.

3. Joeyman

that's not very encouraging news lol ......GREAT! haha

Last night I couldn't help to think about selling the car but I doubt anyone would give me near what I've sunk into it.

4. underpsi68

Hang in there!! You came this far. Things will turn around.

5. Joeyman

So last night I just couldn't take it anymore and started the car back up and took video of the sounds. Take a listn

The warmer the motor gets the louder the sound

There's a nice sized puddle of oil under the car again. I'm going to jack it up today after work and get a closer look. Uggh

6. Briansshop

Dam,that sounds horrible. Did Howard's offer anything to try, more/less pre load maybe?

7. Briansshop

There was a thread over on the Bullet a while back about this exactly. I remember a lot of talk about oil viscosity.

8. nxcoupe

Bottom line, you have the wrong lifters for your application. Those are anti pump up lifters and they are going to be very noisy at idle and then as oil pressure and rpm increase, they do what they are supposed to do. It's race car stuff and it's noisy. You need the cheaper lifters and a bit less spring and you'll be fine. The ones we used were quiet as a church mouse at idle.
    All this is assuming you have 40+ psi at idle.

9. Joeyman

Not really, the guy was very short with me on the phone. Basically said they are noisy. But ummm I have excessive noise. I could see a little bit of a sowing machine sound but in person mine are stupid loud.

10. Joeyman

We only went off what ed Curtis told us in a email was High RPM lifters because my cam supposed to make power up to 7k RPM and we went with the springs he suggested too.

I give up..nothing ever goes right with this car. I been dealing with it since 2015

11. Joeyman

I'd be interested in reading this thread. How do I find it.

12. Disney Lincoln

Man, those suckers are noisy! I'd contemplate doing a zero lash solid roller, would be less noisy than these.

13. Joeyman

I really do not feel like pulling the motor. We just got it all back together. When does it end?

14. Disney Lincoln

I guess it depends on what you're willing to live with. If you can live with the noise, then you're good to go. If not, you're pulling the intake and swapping lifters.

IF it was my car, which it's not, I would be putting a set of Crane lifters in it after I drove the wheels off of it this summer and fall. It would give me time to recover mentally and financially from a long unwanted rebuild.

15. Joeyman

Heads have to come off too. I cant live with the noise nor the oil leak.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  16. 1994Musturd

One thing I have noticed is these TFS intakes ( I have the same one) seem to amplify valve/air noise. Next time it’s running, put your hand on the intake. You’ll feel it.

I run an Ed Curtis cam with Comp (Morel) link bar lifters as well. One thing I found interesting is the lifters called for one full turn of preload past zero lash.

Whenever I get my BBRC Tank, I will take a video of mine running. Mine is fairly noisy too, but audio from camera to camera can be quite different.

17. 1994Musturd

Also, 20W50 racing oil helped me a little, but there is a combination of sources of the perceived lifter noise.

yours really doesn’t sound a whole lot louder than mine.

18. Joeyman

So last night my cousin came over because he wanted to hear the noise in person. So I rolled the car out of the garage and fired it up with the hood open. It was fairly quiet, your basic sewing machine lifter noise. Which to me is what it supposed to sound like. Not very noticeable at all. As the motor warms up slowly the tap increasingly gets louder. Once the motor hits the normal operating temp of 180deg it gets to tapping pretty loud which I personally think it should not be doing at all. It should sound the same as when I cold start it.

thoughts on that?

19. 1994Musturd

Have you tried thicker oil?

20. Joeyman

no I have not, it has 10w30 in it right now.