1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

The inconspicuous '91 Mustang turbo build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Unatural, May 9, 2011.

1. ricky

coming along nicely!

2. nxcoupe

I just read the thread, and I have to say, excellent job! Looks great, and seems to be running hard for a stockish engine. I like your color choices too on all the powder coating. I like the mil spec connector you used to go through the firewall for your wiring.
    I was reading your start up post and how it melted the plug wires and had no power, and I said"Check the timing!", lol, then two posts later you said you set the timing wrong due to the balancer. It's happened to all of us at one time or another. Anyway, keep plugging along, it motivates the rest of us.

3. Unatural

Thanks man, I appreciate it. :cheers:

4. Turbo Drag Radial

wow....I know how you feel on the dash wiring and the nervousness of whether it will ever start up again.....LOL...I was very nervous.

Your wiring and fab skills are great!

Keep up the good work and keep posting updates!

5. Hemann

That wiring is looking great.

6. racesloth

Just went through your whole thread - great job on it all and glad to see you stuck it out getting it all working...

Cheers,
    Dan

7. Unatural

Thanks guys. You don't have to worry about this one going anywhere. I've had the car for almost 13 years now, and I have no plans of getting rid of it.

My goal has always been to run in the 8s with a 6 speed in it, and still drive it on the street (with A/C and PS), and it will get there eventually. After this computer upgrade is done, the only thing left between here and my goal is going to be building a Dart based engine, and a twin turbo kit that I have planned out. If you think it looks good now, just WAIT until you see what I have planned. :grin:

8. ducatibrian

Looking forward to the upgrades

9. Unatural

More progress made. I'm almost completely done with the everything in the engine compartment. Now I just need to get inside the car and reroute a bunch of wiring.

I decided to reroute my fuel lines, so they aren't running right behind the front tire. I didn't like the idea of having something kick off of the tire and cut the line, so I moved it so it comes straight up into the engine compartment now. There is quite a bit of room between the lines and any exhaust piping as well, so that shouldn't be an issue.

[​IMG]#ad

I got all of the coils wired up and mounted for good as well. Eventually, the passenger's side will be mounted the same way as the driver's side, but my down pipe is preventing it for now.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And finally, the MAP sensor is all done as well.

[​IMG]#ad

10. MUSTLX50

Looking real good Wayne, how much more do you have left? Going to be a real nice piece once your done, good luck with it bud.

11. rlongo

Nice job brother!!

12. Unatural

Thanks. I just have to reroute a bunch of power wires (I'm moving my relay panel), and then wire in the stuff from the MS, like the 2 step, and a couple of other things. Then I have to wait for my mom's cousin to come back from vacation, so we can fabricate up the bracket for the crank sensor. I think he's going to be gone for another month, so it'll be a little while before it's finished.

Today I got this little upgrade done though. Auto dim, with a garage door opener. :encouragement:

[​IMG]#ad

13. rlongo

nice. send me details on that. don't care about auto dim, but the garage opener is key.

14. pdonk93lx

Looks killer Wayne. Great job!

15. BlownShovel

looking good W

Can anyone else help out with the bracket and bypass the waiting? What are you looking to do with the crank sensor bracket?

16. Unatural

If I wanted to pay for it, I'm sure I could find someone, but that's the nice thing about having connections. :grin: The mount is just to hold the crank sensor in place.

I'm not in a big hurry though, so it's not a big deal to me. Plus the fact that I HATE doing electrical stuff. This just gives me more of an excuse to procrastinate.:cower:

I did just find another little speed bump in the process, but I think I know how to get around it.

With my old setup, I was using my horn button as my 2 step button, and I had a switch to go between the two. The Megasquirt activates the 2 step with a ground connection though, not a 12v, like the MSD uses. So since I can't use the horn button any more, I'm wanting to use the ON button for the cruise control (my cruise is disabled anyway, and it's the closest button to the horn). The only problem is that the ON button is activated with 12v, and the OFF button is grounded. It's looking like now I get to take the steering wheel apart and figure out how I can switch the connections, so the ON actually grounds. WOOHOO!!:banana:

17. ducatibrian

Latching relay setup to flip to ground?

18. Unatural

Hmmmm. I need to look into that one. Sounds like what I need though.

19. ducatibrian

Probably easiest way for you to do what you want on the cheap

20. Unatural

Any idea what part numbers I would need, and how to wire it up? I honestly know very little about electrical stuff.

bridal-shoal