1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Switching from Procharger D1SC to S480 BW Turbo ( condensed )

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by blown385, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rdakota340

It can't be the converter it's bulletproof J/K,It was that left foot is what did it :ahah:

2. CW25

It will be totally worth it when I have a real shop to work in. Sorry to hear about the converter but at least it may be a easy fix.

3. blown385

PTC say they couldnt find anything wrong with the converter . They put new bearings in it anyway .

this is the noise it was making

4. rdakota340

In my experience from I have talk to you and what the video sounds like a bearing in the convert cause when you load the converter you put pressure on the stator and the turbine and the bearing is between them :hmm:!

5. wantabe

Agree with mark here....

6. blown385

Could you imagine how long this build thread would become . Not looking to rebuild quite yet . lol Just want something that will bolt on . But who knows , maybe I can get 150mph out of this one . Only 3mph more to go !

Converter is back in ............... and noise is back . Its got to be something with a very close tolerance . Because its only there when hot .

Pump has plenty of pressure and no metal showing up in fluid .

Fuck it ...... I'm running it the way it is . If my truck wasnt so quiet , I would have never known the noise was there anyway .

What would YOU do ???

7. BlownShovel

turn up the radio?

I've had trans/pump wines that were temp sensitive. Some went away after a few miles (clearanced themselves?) while others didn't. is it loud or just slightly audible? sure its trans and not PS

8. blown385

Funny you should say that . I was just thinking of how the amp and sub was going to fit . I took them out to put the air lines in . Now it doesnt fit . :doh:

It sounds like the converter . The pump has been in it for 2 years already . But holds 225 psi . ( Hipster )

The noise showed up when I went with the tighter 9.5" converter .

After spending $ 125 to send it to PTC , they say theres nothing wrong with it . But the noise is gone with a looser Hughes converter .

One of the bolt holes is a little snug on the flex plate . COULD THAT BE IT ?

Video of noise is up a few post .

By the way . After using the Hughes 3000 converter , I REALLY love my PTC . Its hard to describe , but the tighter converter builds boost way faster and pulls like a freight train compared to the Hughes .

9. slammed98gmc

Im guessing the Hughes converter was not built for this set up? My Hughes converter is loose on the bottom where you need it to be loose and locks up pretty well up top. I can foot brake mine to 3500 rpms and make boost where I could never do that with the ucc converter. The ucc converter would just over come the brakes at like 2600 rpms and push the front tires.

10. blown385

It was just a converter we had lying around . But its new .

It was loose down low but had an even harder time making boost because the load wasnt there till over 3000rpm . With the PTC , boost starts way eirlier . I can see it in the fuel pressure and I can hear the BOV at low RPM when letting off .

The looser Hughes will come up on RPM faster but the load isnt there to spool .

I'm talking street driving though , not foot braking . I cant build boost on the footbrake , but dont really race competitively so it doesnt bother me . I can only get 2600 RPM on the foot brake with maybe .5 psi / 2 step . But at 3600 on the TB it makes 7psi . 4000 it will make 10 psi .

With the tight PTC , when your cruising and roll into it , it pulls hard without alot of RPM . Its awesome !

11. boooost383

possible hairline crack in the flywheel? i see it a lot at the GM dealer i work at its ever so slightly a noise with just a small crack

12. blown385

I just put a new ATI on it when I rebuilt the motor .

13. rdakota340

Man the noise still there I guess we need to take there word for it that they looked at it but time will tell for sure,I'm like you too just run it :eek:

14. blown385

Yep ...................... time will tell .

15. D. Miles

Just listened to your vid... definatley in the converter, sounds just like when we used to run old Vega converters just before they let loose. Just keep an eye out for metal in your fluid.

16. blown385

I wish I had another car to put the converter in .

17. rdakota340

If go th400 in the Dart!!! :cheers:

18. 07Hemi

You can put it in mine :)

19. blown385

you have a th400 ?

20. 07Hemi

I wish..