1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Switching from Procharger D1SC to S480 BW Turbo ( condensed )

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by blown385, Jul 17, 2009.

1. craig6.9diesel

Good air maybe?

2. blown385

I was thinking maybe trans fluid was cooler . Sitting for hours waiting to run . :doh:

Air was actually about the same .

Calculating converter slip with a 31" tire .............Converter Slip % = 4.325

32" tire ( for growth )...............Converter Slip % = 7.69

Tire is actually a 30.8 ...................... How much do you think a slick grows ?

3. furchaser

I have " heard " 1 to 1 1/2 " @ 150 mph is the norm... or 3 % +/- for every 100 mph .

4. blown385

Cool . Converter seems to be right on track . Only PTC can make a converter do that in a 4450lb truck . Its just crazy to go through the traps at 6200 and 147mph . It feels like its not even trying . lol

One thing I did change was the shift . I lowered the RPM by 100 .

Trans is making whining noise in all gears under load , so I'm gonna have to get that figured out before the next track outing . Gonna pull the pan and see if theres anything to see . Randy thinks its either the pump or maybe a converter bearing and has offered to help me out if I want to rebuild it . Thanks Randy (rdakota340 ) , I really appreciate that . :2thumbs: It doesn't seem to do it when its cold which seems weird to me .

Another thing to note . I only made two passes so raising the boost didnt turn out like I planed .

The first pass had 10psi on the gate , and made 21psi .

second pass I put 12psi on the gate , and it still made 21psi

I really wanted to keep adding more , but I think its clear its not going to make more . The way I have the gate set up , it should have made a difference with just adding 2psi .

5. rdakota340

Sure thing just let me know what find in the pan,The brick is still impressive!

6. bluchev

what trans?

7. blown385

TH400

Thanks Randy , I might pull the pan today .

8. 10secgoal

Damn son I'm jelly.

9. furchaser

Wallace racing converter .. Not to shabby .. lol
    [size=12pt]Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 935.01 rear wheel HP and 1,038.90 flywheel HP.
    Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 951.66 rear wheel HP and 1,057.40 flywheel HP.
    [/size]

10. blown385

LOL .

I wonder how much better this turbo could have been with a Race Cover and the 1.32ar .

Well I pulled the transmission pan , and there is no signs of metal . Actually SUPER clean .

11. BlownShovel

60 HP?

12. cat herder

Currently has the 1.10 T4 83mm(or is it the 87?) turbine?

13. blown385

It has a 1.10 / 87mm T6 .

At least I think its 87 . I havent had the housing off to measure it but from what CW25 said , BP would have been worse if it was an 83mm .

And I ordered it as an 87 .

14. BADGMC

Looks like it likes the lower shift point. That lets it pull longer in high gear. I always got better mph from doing that in my truck even though it never helped the et. Also my TH375 whined like that for a while then it just went away. Still haven't found what it was.

15. patl

Man your truck is the ......... :chacha:
    Were working with one set up with a pt88/t4 .96. (No transbrake)
    I was wondering if you have ever foot braked it, if so how did it compare to running off the transbrake. What kind of boost, rpm and et's.
    Oh and any other secrets. 8)

16. blown385

Thanks . I could never get any boost on the foot brake . I can get it to 2600 rpm on the 2-step with my crappy brakes and it will be at 0vac , no boost .

I think it 60'ed like a 2.0 or something like that off the foot brake . Cant remember the ETs off hand but I only made a couple of passes before I got the new transmission .

Theres no comparison between the foot brake and t-brake . Its a night and day difference .

BAD ASS feeling letting go of that button ! :chacha:

17. CW25

Yeah I have the same issue I can not build boost with the foot brake. I can hit 2300 but it builds nothing. I cut a stellar 1.9 60' usually. If I had a decent rear diff I would get a trans brake but that isn't the case. I am moving to a acreage this summer and building a shop with a hoist so the truck will be on hold for a year or so. I hope to have the space to actually work on it in the future.

18. blown385

A year ! bummer . :'(

Well , the converter has to go back to PTC . My Dad had a new Hughes 3000stall converter lying around his garage so I put it in and the noise is gone .

The Hughes converter is way looser than the PTC . It has unbelievable response and shreds the tires instantly . Its freaking awesome !!! lol .......... The spool is slow though and I can really feel the way it blows through the converter in 3rd .

Its just crazy how quick it comes up off idle . Its very fun to drive ........ I wish there was a best of both worlds .

19. Twin Turbo Skylark

Great work, I just spent 4 days reading through all 48 pages..... :bow: I just kept ordering Pizzas and drank two flats of beer :cheers: I fell off the hoist while working on my truck, that is why I had enough time to read it all LOL.... Hopefully next week i can get off the couch and back to work if my knee gets better :chacha:

I am really loving the work you are doing with the carb! I am planning to do the same data logging and tuning with my Twin Turbo Buick 350 powered 70 Skylark. At 3500 pounds I hope to be able to get into the 10s. My engine is only 398 HP NA though so we will see.... Looks like I need about 600 HP to get there.

20. blown385

Ouch , I hope you get back to it soon .

Thanks for the interest in my build ....... sorry its kinda long . lol .... If I can help in any way , just ask . :2thumbs: