1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Switching from Procharger D1SC to S480 BW Turbo ( condensed )

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by blown385, Jul 17, 2009.

1. blown385

From a post I made in the crutch section :

Taking advantage of 2:1 back pressure .

I've had some trouble between steet tune and track tune . My AFRs are 12:1 on C-16 and it likes it there . The problem is , its very rich on my pump gas tune . So rich its been hurting spool . I had the PVs to open at 3psi and when they open its like flood gates . lol AFRs would drop to low 10s and hurt power bad .

Now I've tried to open these PVs with just hat pressure and it doesnt work so I got to thinking about my 2:1 back pressure .

:ding:

Teed into my back pressure line in the turbine flange and and ran a line to the solenoid that opens at 3psi . At 11psi of boost there is 22psi on the PVs now .

AFRs at 11psi of boost are 11.5 now and its pulling like a freight train .

Even at 22psi on the PVs they are still not open all the way ,( proven by the AFRs not being in the 10s anymore ) , but just enough for perfect transition into boost and enough fuel to hold 11.5 AFRs .

:drive:

2. RI85GT

Nice work Dave. You are really getting a handle on that system. :2thumbs:

3. CW25

Damn never thought about using backpressure. Damn good idea. :2thumbs:

4. stangboy86

wow dave simple but genius

5. blown385

:D

I first tested how much pressure it takes to open Brents PVs . I just put air on them with a gauge and while in park brought the RPMs up around 2500 . The motor went rich and started stumbling at around 10psi . So I figure the hat pressure should open them far enough to get the AFRs where I wanted them . WRONG . Its amazing how much fuel bowl pressure works against the PVs ............ Even with 15psi of hat pressure on the PVs , AFRs were in the high 13's low 14's . ( I had already done this last year , dont ask me why I thought the out come would be different .) :stupid:

I get it back home and I was just staring at the motor in a daze wondering WTF can I do , when I looked down and saw the line I used to measure back pressure . I thought yea , thats going to work . lol

22psi of back pressure on the PVs with 12psi in the manifold is just enough to overcome fuel bowl pressure and keep AFRs at 11.5 .

6. cat herder

Yeah but... brianj5600 is opening his with fuel pressure which is only 6-7 higher than the hat. Wonder if his are fully open?

7. blown385

I'm thinking the spring that Brent uses is pretty stiff . But still , 22psi is only 7psi more than hat pressure . I have 15 in the hat and 11 to 12 in the manifold .

Just got back from a drive and could only get 17psi of back pressure at 12psi of boost . :scratch: AFRs were 12.5 . Heat and weather play a big role you think ?

I think I'll go to a lighter spring or cut the ones that are in there .

Weird how back pressure can be 22psi one day and 17psi the next with the same boost .

8. BOOSTEDROK

How do you like the balancer? Looks like a nice piece!! Seen one on larry larsons 6 second nova this past weekend!! With the bulit in tabs for crank trigger, bad ass!!

9. blown385

As long as it does its job , I like it alot . :D

But seriously , its a very nice piece . Like I said earlier , its almost to pretty to put on the motor . It should be under a piece of glass for viewing . 8)

10. blown385

put a lighter spring in the primary and its all good . :D

11. blown385

I finally made a log of the AFRs . This is a 2nd to 3rd gear pull on the street . Crutch solenoid set to open at 4psi manifold . Then its turbine pressure on the PVs .

AFRs are in the 13s as I get on it . Keep in mind I have a 1:1 linkage and it helps transition into boost dramatically .

Its a little fat when the PVs open but not bad at all . No stumbles . AFRs come up during the shift but comes back down as soon as load comes back . I'm assuming this is the loss of turbine pressure on the PVs during the shift . But once in 3rd the AFRs are good and I can assure you they will stay there as long as I can stay in it . :D

12. blown385

Heres the pre and post intercooler temps . No ice just water . Same run as above .

13. 10secgoal

Dang, that's a pretty pimp intercooler you got there. :eek:
    Those are pretty nice without ice.

14. blown385

Its a shame you cant that thing of beauty . Its all hidden away . :bah:

But we know . ;)

15. 10secgoal

Sent a customer the link here to your temps. He's fighting my kung fu. Wants to put a HE on :2thumbs:

16. BOOSTEDROK

Are those 195's out of the box? What springs?

17. blown385

yes ... out of the box , but springs were changed . AFR # 8019

The numbers are very good according to Mark at Bullet Cams .

I think you can order the 195street heads with the springs as an up grade . Or the 195cc Street Competition head comes with those springs and flows better .

http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=24_29

I just have the regular 195s .

18. blown385

Tell him to put that money somewhere else . :D

19. blown385

Made it to the track today . Got two runs all day . :bah:

Dont know where it came from , but it picked up 3mph . lol

21psi crossing the line at 6200rpm . AFRs 12.0

60'.............. 1.38
    330 ............ 3.93
    1/8 ............. 6.06
    MPH ............ 115.64