1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Street / Strip Coupe

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Russell, Feb 6, 2020.

1. nxcoupe

Go with the tune in the ford tunefile section. Change the fuel table from ve to lbs fph. There is a drop down for that. Also, the timing table is very important that it flows smoothly and has a lot of timing (45 or so), in low load rows.
    Too much to say in a thread reply. Good luck with it. I just did a basic tune on a sc 331 fox termx tonight.

2. Russell

Thanks for the advice. I will try the tune in the Ford file. I wonder why the wizard doesn't install that one.

Might be a can of worms but why use lb/hr. Instead of VE?

3. nxcoupe

In my little brain, lb/hr makes more sense. VE is hard to gauge when making changes. All the hp and Dom maps are in lbs/hr too

Russell likes this.
  4. Russell

I put the stock Ford tune in it from the Holley files seems to run a little better I only drove maybe 7 miles. Got on it a couple times. I think I was being a little more aggressive or it could have been the road was different or is making more power but it seemed to spin a little more than last time out. I really wish I could take a day and just drive around and fiddle with it I still think it need more timing. I think I read the stock computer was programed for about 30° I had added 4° to the base timing. I wish the track was open I would love to try to tune it at the track.

5. Disney Lincoln

stock ecu is 26* 10* base and ECU adds 16* at WOT up top. Stock ECU cruises in the 40s.

87turbonotch and Russell like this.
  6. Russell

Loaded up my drag radials and skinnies in the 4x6 enclosed trailer and went to Roxboro for TnT! Swapped the tires at the track fiddled with 2step in the tune then I forgot to load it...

Apparently I forgot how to do a burn out and make a clean pass. Another member of the local mustang forum was there I asked him to video my pass he did one better, I was not pulling up far enough and was still in the water with the burn out. I hooked up the 2step for a couple days ago. I didn't do very good adding something to my routine. Letting go of the button and the clutch at the same time is not as easy as it sounds. At least two passes o held onto the 2step after the launch and it killed 60'. My best pass did result in a 1.76 60' which is about normal for my car. Thinking about trying to mount a switch on the clutch peddle for the 2step, that or I need to go practice 10 times a day every day.

On the way home I noticed the car runs much better at a little over 2500 rpms than it does a little under. Which seems kinda of weird. I did log it other than there being a little less timing I didn't really see much difference. The bad thing is a little over 2500 is about 67 mph and we're a little under would be 63 where I would rather cruise at on those county roads. IdeasIdea

Video of pass and going over data log.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  7. nxcoupe

Add timing. Simple fix. Put the 2 step on the pedal, however, everytime you hit the clutch to shift, you'll hit the 2 step. You need a switch for first gear that closes in first gear, then when the clutch pedal is depressed, that switch closes and your 2 step activates. As soon as you grab 2cd, the first gear switch opens and it won't come on. A guy named Rick used to make the rick switch which did this in a very slick fashion.

8. Russell

Thanks, I will add a little timing to the cells just under 2500 hopefully it will clean it up. The kpa is around 60 iirc. With the trailer behind it.

Do you recommend using the stock clutch switch or installing one? I need to look at the wiring diagram but I believe the stock switch is 12v+ (is it only hot when cranking?) Is there any safeties needed when hooking 12v+ input to the Holley?

The next thing is wheel speed sensor. I am hoping to pick up the back of the wheel studs. Are these the sensors I want? Is it recommend to get the power and ground from the power tap?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ZF/GS100502?qs=%2BrIg/MSiRkGdf1qMOzs5Xg==

9. Disney Lincoln

You'll need to install one. Just a cheap microswitch will be fine. stock uses + and you'll want a 12v- input.

10. nxcoupe

Which holley do you have? If it's an HP or dom, you can set the rev limiter to be either 12V hi or low activation. If it is a termx then you only have ground activation as a choice.
    Either way will work, I've done it both ways, make sure you put a fuse in the circuit providing voltage to the switch.

11. Russell

I have the Terminator X. I will have to go back and look I thought all the inputs had the option to be 12v+, 5v+, G, or F. I can see were the Terminator is just a gate way drug for the Dominator.

12. nxcoupe

Yes it is. Pwm- is what I was thinking of in the termy. You can set it up as either 12V+ or - on the rev limiter under ign tab, then IO

13. Russell

Made it back to the track two Fridays ago, nothing really good or bad to report. Best pass was a 1.7633, 5.5076, 8.6210 @ 77.91 It felt good but also could have been cleaner. I had several passes were it spun. My best 60' pass 1.728 end in missing 2nd. I am now working to add a front wheel speed sensor and will be moving the 2-step switch to the clutch pedal. I have another hall effect I would like to pick up driveshaft speed do you think it will pick up the back of the driveshaft bolts if mounted under the housing?

[​IMG]#ad

All in all I am very happy with the Holley Terminator X for really not knowing how to tune I think it runs just as good as the factory computer. I currently have it set for 32 degrees and 12.5 AFR. I would like to track tune it, I figure I will change one at a time and see if it likes it. Which would you do first add/subtract timing or leaner/richer?

If all goes well I am going to try to go to Galot Thurdsday for TnT

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    nxcoupe likes this.
  14. Disney Lincoln

Fuel first. Once that's set, go after timing. I wouldn't be surprised if you pick up some mph by dropping a few degrees off of that 32.

15. Russell

What are good steps with adjusting target AFR? .2

16. nxcoupe

What heads and intake do you have? I'm too lazy to read back thru and see. I would target 13.0 at wot and the timing depends on heads, cam and intake. 32 without knowing what it likes seems a little risky. Lower it to 28 or so. Get on a dyno and dial it in safely. Jmho. I've tunes a few of these

17. Russell

The engine came out of a 93 GT. It's about as stock as it get. E7 heads, HO intake. stock cam, 60mm TB. It has shorty headers, manual rack, electric fan, 3g alt. A/C (B/C Drag Week) T5 4.10 gears on 275/50/15 DR

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  18. Disney Lincoln

I'd be surprised if it likes any more than 30*. MPH will tell the tale.

nxcoupe likes this.
  19. Russell

Do still think fuel first? maybe set it at 28, leave target afr at 12.5 make a pass. Then start leaning it out?

20. Disney Lincoln

If it were me.... I'd back the timing into a safe place, like 26* total. Then i'd go after the fuel. ONce fuel was good i'd work on the timing.