1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock Rod bolts...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boost, Mar 9, 2005.

1. SWT Racing

What a difference a bolt makes. The rod bolts in my SBC go to 85 ft-lbs. :tard:

2. ADR

IF we are talking about a sbf, the stock rods don't have cap screw they are a thru bolt design, at least the last time I checked anyway.......So I will ask the question again....why do you have to remove the rod bolts.

And further more if they were cap screws, they usually have there own built in registers and you don't have to replace those either.

The only way I would scrimp on rod bolts is if I were to use a 1000 dollar super custom light weight piston that weighed about 290 grams soaking wet.....then you could use cheap rod bolts :D.
    Sorry couldn't resist
    Dale

3. Dave88LX

IMO rod bolts are cheap insurance. No other fastener gets stressed as much as rod bolts do.