1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Something different: 95 F-150 4.6 2V,5 Spd, T70, and Megasquirt 56K BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by PaulF, May 22, 2006.

1. DaOnE51T

SICK build!!!!!!!!!

Where's the WOT vids?!? :2thumbs:

2. DarkHorse2Turbo

Nice man, can't wait to see the finished product and see this thing do some track times.

3. Attatoy

at the very least put one hell of a restrictor on the exit side of the compressor!

4. Ackbar00

Awesome build!

5. Big_Ed

I am just thinking he should be glad no one came by and stole his camera!!!!!

:eek: :num: :j/k: :fear: :ras: :lh:

6. 90WHTGT

Geez I wish I lived there...looks like where Im from...instead I live in the southwest desert where our friends to the south will walk right into your garage and take anything they can sell. #$!@#%QE%#$ >:(

7. Big_Ed

sounds like you need that perimeter security system from that movie "CONGO"!!

Or his Barret 99 50 cal!! Sit about 1000 yards out and blow their heads off!!

8. lomazda92

Sik build man cant wait to see it done. Those Barretts are sick they have been know to split a rock the size of a volkswagen in half a 1.5 miles.

9. 90WHTGT

ya whats going on with this thing man

10. Big_Ed

So is it ready to go and are you busting those ricer asses up yonder in the WAY UP NAWTH??

11. esahc

how much money do you have into the entire megasquirt setup? less than 500?

12. Explorer5.0

What ever happened to this project? Did you get it finished?

13. UCF_Stang

WOW, awesome build...i wanna see updates. :D

14. FlyingSkull

Re: Something different: 95 F-150 4.6 2V,5 Spd, T70, and Megasquirt 56K BEWARE

Sweet build, can't wait to see it in action. :2thumbs:

15. DarkHorse2Turbo

Come on, still waiting for some updates man

16. TurboShortBus

Digging this thread up from the grave...

Any updates or progress lately? Hopefully, it's running well for ya.

Mark

17. PaulF

Thanks to all for the continued interest in this project. I really apologize for the LOOOOONNNNGGG time between updates. I must say I am amazed that TurboShortBus dug this thread up. Thanks a lot man! That is very flattering.

I have a good update tonight though.

This thing is running and driving awesome now! I am only seeing 1.5 to 2 lbs. of boost as the cheap-o E-Bay silicone connectors I bought are pretty much junk and leak like a sieve.. Soon I will get some quality pieces from RPS. But that is alright. I am making enough power now to do my tuning and a little bit of boost is enough for the moment.

My monster 3 row radiator and giant electric fan are more than enough to keep this thing cool. The cooling system has been one of my biggest worries all along. People on other forums had expressed concern about whether or not I could keep this thing from overheating. Well this afternoon it was above 90 degrees and I drove the truck for over an hour, the temp never exceeded 189 degrees! I felt pretty darn pleased with that.

I can't say enough good things about the MegaSquirt. This thing is just awesome. I am astonished at how well it works. Hot or cold, a quick tap of the key is all it takes to get the truck running. Maybe there are better systems out there, I don't really know. But the learning experience for me has been worth its weight in gold. And the real proof, how the truck runs, speaks volumes for what an awesome piece of equipment the MS is.

Now the bad news. I have a HUGE problem with wheel hop. Bad enough to where I am seriously concerned with breaking things. In the current state of a measly 2 lbs. of boost I can EASILY break both rear tires free at any time in first gear, and this is on an open rear end! Sadly this leads to extremely violent wheel hop almost immediately. I know this will break something in short order. On another forum someone suggested some tricks that the Lightning guys use to control this problem. I will definitely be looking into that. I am thinking of reworking the fuel and spark maps to "neuter"output at low RPM's. Right now it is difficult to NOT spin the tires when applying throttle at low revs. I'm sure I will figure out something though.

I have attached a short video fo me driving the truck. It is not very exciting but I think she sounds really nice! When I leave the driveway I am intentionally not getting on it to avoid wheelspin. I suppose I should have roasted the tires but right now I don't want to break anything. On the return pass you can hear the turbo spooling but I honked at the camera at kind of drowned some of it out, DOH! The sense of speed is pretty underwhelming in the video but rest assured the truck does haul ass. The video just doesn't do it justice!

Thanks again to everyone who even remembers this project. I have gotten off track for a bit but I am getting focused again! As usual, stay tuned for more updates.

[​IMG]#ad

18. TurboShortBus

lol, no problem! But, in all honesty, somebody was asking about hooking up a hydraulic clutch pedal with a T-5 transmission in another thread, and I remembered the photo a few pages back where you made a bracket for your clutch cylinder on the side of the transmission, and sent him the link.

Mark

19. chainfeed

My F-250 diesel has a bad wheel hop problem also..... I'm gonna build some traction bars on the cheap kinda like this guy did here http://www.dzljim.com/Ford/traction.htm They are super cheap to build and should be plenty strong enough............ best part no more wheel hop!

20. killacal

Well Im gonna bring this thread back from the dead... Do you have any more updates, did you fix the boosting problem, and have you gotten the wheel hop issue straightened out yet? Awsome build man Keep up the good work!!