1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Something different: 95 F-150 4.6 2V,5 Spd, T70, and Megasquirt 56K BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by PaulF, May 22, 2006.

1. DIL

Re: Something different: 95 F-150 4.6 2V,5 Spd, T70, and Megasquirt 56K BEWARE

Portsmouth...We stay there when we go to Fun Ford Epping..cool

2. crowdesign

cool dude, yeah dover to be exact. I go down to epping with the stang some times.. :chacha: :chacha: :chacha: :chacha:

3. GTPhreak

Still looking great, have you made any new progress?

4. PaulF

Hey GTPhreak-

Actually I have some pretty good progress to report!

I have finally solved the whole mystery of what to do with the factory coolant and oil filter adapter.

I did it with this piece of hardware from Moroso. It wasn't cheap either!

[​IMG]#ad

Here it is installed on the block. Look how tight those -12 fittings are to the PS pump! The upper fitting actually bumped against the pump a bit when starting it!

[​IMG]#ad

And that was it until recently. But on Wednesday I finally got all the right fittings delivered and was able to plumb the coolant and oil adapter to my remote filter mount and came up with this! Before anyone gives me crap for using the Fram filter, save it. I know the general internet opinion is that they suck. I have had great luck with them for almost 20 years, I'm not changing now.

[​IMG]#ad

And now the next part of my thread comes directly from F150online.com where I posted this a couple of days ago. So it is nothing more than a cut and paste so forgive the very basic turbo information posted about the oil feed line. Enjoy, and try not to laugh to much!

Note the very small hose coming out of the top of the remote filter adapter. It is the oil feed for the turbo. Currently the turbo and merge pipe are out of the truck but I wanted to make sure the oil feed was going to work. So I hooked up the battery, pulled the fuel pump fuse, and began cranking. It started feeding oil! Now things get a little crazy.

Turning the engine over from the cab got me pretty fired up, and seeing the oil run out of the hose really got me fired up. I couldn't wait anymore, I had to see if this whole deal was going to run. Months and months of hard work were calling my name. The little devil on my shoulder said to half ass it and see if she would fire.

I gave in to the dark side.

The fuse was put in the fuel pump socket, the pump whined and shut off, there was gas in the lines, the starter motor was working, we had oil flowing, I made sure the open end of the turbo feed was in a bottle, I would only run it for a couple of seconds and this would catch the waste oil.

THIS IS IT!

I took a deep breath, twisted the key, the starter spun and...............

VAROOOOOOMMMMMMM!

YES!!!! It works! It's loud! The engine that was never meant for this truck is being run by a computer that Ford has probably never heard of, and I did it all myself!

OH NO!!! The turbo oil feed popped out of the bottle! It looks like a garden hose flailing all over the place spraying oil everywhere!

I turned off the key and proceded to start cleaning up the mess. I was grinning the whole time!

Anyway, with any luck I will have a video this weekend when things are put together the right way!

As of Friday 08-11-06 this is still where I sit. The prospect of a video this weekend is dim. I have been invited to a very cool event tomorrow, a machine gun shoot! I am a total gun nut so the truck is taking a back seat this weekend. Anyway more to come soon I promise.

5. Big_Ed

The oil feed in a bottle thing sounds like a Big Ed idea!!!! (Big Ed being me) How fast did about 30 cuss words come out when you saw the feed line pop out?? I have a semi-tiny story on a similar note of sorts:

A guy I was working for was testing out an engine's response to a brand new nitrous system. OK!! Cool!! He had the 175 Horse pills in it and it was doing really great. VAROOM on throttle only.... 4 or 5 times in a row. Everything going awesome. Next step, prime nitrous system by turning on switch and bottle and flicking the throttle switch really fast. Just kinda like tapping a purge but no purge button hooked up yet. Got it all ready, and he decided to use the starter actuator trigger with gater clips for a trigger instead of his hand on the WOT switch. Smart, I am thinking. I am standing at the passenger side of the car and he is at the drivers side doing the gassing and hitting the trigger. Just as everything gets settled down again after a couple runs up the RPM range with nitrous, he says to me "one more time and then turn it off" So I am still standing there....... He hits the throttle and then the trigger and KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Comes this 8 foot flame out the carb's Venturi (top), and this 3 foot flame out the PASSENGER SIDE AT ME!!!!! (Side note: I am 6'4" tall and weigh almost 400 pounds... bear that in mind when you read whats next.) With him at the drivers side of the car, he dropped the trigger and jumped for the inside to shut everything down. In the time it takes him to do that, I have left the side of that car, ran around the car behind me and out the shop's Roll open door.... A distance about 90-100 feet. As I am exiting the door, I hear the car shutting down. Lemme tell you something about flames coming at you: You fucking ass can move when that shit goes on!!!! NO JOKE AT ALL!! I split so quick there was nothing but smoking footprints from my fatass trying everything possible to break a land speed record by a 400 pound man on foot. I think I did it!! About 5 minutes later he comes down with the 2 pieces of carb and the stripped bolts from the carb mounting area. It broke the throttle plate on the carb, and stripped two holes out on the intake. But the intakes gaskets held together and none of the intake bolts came loose. Funny shit, huh? Needless to say I cussed all the way down to the office and 3/4 of the way through my 1 Liter pepsi.

By the way, AWESOME LOOKING PROJECT!!!!!!!! :2thumbs: I need to bring my Lincoln to you for all the welding. And a suggestion that someone else mentioned about the flex pipe, go ahead and plan on fixing cracked welds. That flex pipe looks to be adding problems for the added weight on the drivers side. You might get some cross support, but only if it stretches that flex til it maxes out. I am not an expert, but I plan on using solid piping all the way from manifolds to tip of exhaust pipe. No flex anywhere in the system. Still yet, welds look great, except for the bubble gum one. :nut: peace out dude and keep us posted on updates. Great job on the photos, too! nice and clear

6. Anthony Fury

First - awesome build! The weld and fab work look excellent, and it's always good to see a Megasquirt in action.

If you haven't figured it out already, I think I can tell you what each lead of the 4.6L TPS does (since I'm using the same TPS on my car). Unfortunately I left everything at the shop, so tomorrow is the soonest I'd be able to look at it.

Keep up the good work!

7. Tx_Cat

Great thread bud.... You are almost there.. I got a question man, how did you drilled your pan and what did you used to seal it once the fitting was there? Im doing twins in my 03 v8 and our oil pans are plastic.. Thanks man...

Israel

8. PaulF

Thanks man! I did figure out the TPS. I had it backwards at first but that was an easy fix. I also had the VR sensor leads to the EDIS reversed as well, no signal! Another easy fix but one that took a fair amount of headscratching before I finally tracked it down.

That's interesting. My engine is from an 02 and the pan is steel. It was just a matter of drilling and welding. Can you fit a pre 03 pan your engine maybe? Otherwise I guess you use a threaded nylon fitting with a nut inside the pan? If you are trying to do your build with the motor in the car though that would be impossible.

I shot this video yesterday. This is the third start of the day. But the first went just the same. Just a tap of the key and she lights right off and idles! Now i have to get the cooling system done so I can run the engine for more than 20 to 30 seconds at a time! I just had to see how she was going to sound though with the turbo on there. Even with just a piece of 3" pipe about 20 inches long the sound level isn't that bad. I am kind of wondering if I am going to need a muffler or just open pipe out to the back. Any opinions?

The video is hosted on Photobucket and plays in their default player. Unfortunately they signifigantly reduced the quality so the sound and video are kind of sucky but you can get the idea. You can actually the hear the turbo spooling down just a bit on the de-cel.

[​IMG]#ad

9. stonegod85

man leave it open that sounds great!

10. Big_Ed

Remember that your whole idea here was to go for an ultimate sleeper. I would throw on something that will quieten it down around town and really talk when you hit it, but not kill performance, and dont forget about your emissions laws. Also, in the video, it looked like that turbo was jumping more than the motor. I would take a peek to see if anything might be loose. It does sound awesome though!! :2thumbs: I would definitely brace it to some part of the motor for a little peace of mind.

11. dman

it's because the turbo is 2 feet away from the motor. farther from the middle travels farther

12. Big_Ed

I have a couple of questions, also.

1.) Which gauge was it that was jumping around on the laptop on the upper right??
    2.) What are the cam specs for that engine? It sounds like it would be mean as hell just on motor alone....
    3.) When is your projected finish time?
    4.) Do you intend on getting any track time to help maximize the tuning?
    5.) Got any parts to donate to my Lincoln project??? :2thumbs: Just kidding? :hmm: .....

13. SNEAKY

awesome project, i would def. put a muffer on it, if not two. a pair of bullets in line would muffle it good and cause hardly any restriction at all.

14. PaulF

1.)The gauge that was jumping around is the AF gauge from my wideband 02. The sensor is right in the end of the 20 inch downpipe so it really doesn't get a very accurate reading right now. That is why it is swinging back and forth so radically.

2.)The cams are the stock ones for the 2002 Mustang GT. It sounds so nasty because I forgot to hook up the MAP line to the Megasquirt, hence it is running super rich and sounding like a Pro Stock drag car waiting for the tree to come down. I wish she sounded like this normally but as of right now it idles smooth as silk. With only a 20 inch dump off the turbo it is actually quieter than many aftermarket exhausts I have heard at idle!

3.)Projected finish time? HAAAHAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAA!

4.)Track time is a defnite maybe, if I can ever get this thing on the street then I will think about getting some track time, the only thing I have locally though is 1/8 mile. But maybe I will hit the strip.

5.)Sorry dude, no parts to donate! Not much left over right now.

15. Big_Ed

Congrats on it running and breathing life into that truck..

Well I spent part of yesterday morning tearing apart a black 96 Mustang GT 4.6 convertible that had a powerdyne supercharger on it. The owner apparently decided that he wanted to spray a supercharged motor. He wound up breaking the motor.

I am hoping to have enough tools to be able to get the rest of the engine loose today (saturday) so that I can get it out and on a stand to figure out what happened to it. I told him if it wasn't anything real serious, just fix that engine and put it back in. He said if he did he would not be putting the supercharger back on it.

16. Turbo92lx

more than likely he ne broke a ring land on a piston or two or three, the 4.6 motors are infamous for that when the power goes beyond 450 horse with just boost alone. now imagine adding nitrous to the mix. imageine the cylinder pressures! anyway. the 4.6 doesn't blow head gaskets very often. the blow motors instead

17. Allen2001GT

nice build man. :2thumbs:

18. Big_Ed

CORRECTION!! It was a procharger P1SC not a powerdyne. He has now decided to put a 5.0 with an early AOD in it. Set it up for some mild drag racing. Maybe 8.50's in the 1/8th.

Anyway, whats the word on the Pickup man??? Going back out over the road on thursday and want an update before heading out!!

Ed

19. Turbo92lx

shoot i'm running that in my NA 4.6 2000 GT.. when i can get it to hook.

20. stonegod85

does anyone have a link to the thread of the guy who did the turbo build on his 4.9L I6 f150? i'm probly gonna do it, and i would like to see how he ran things.