1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Something different: 95 F-150 4.6 2V,5 Spd, T70, and Megasquirt 56K BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by PaulF, May 22, 2006.

1. PaulF

Re: Something different: 95 F-150 4.6 2V,5 Spd, T70, and Megasquirt 56K BEWARE

Darksyne-

No room for fans in the engine bay sadly. But I will have two pushers in front of the radiator. I hope it's enough to keep it cool!

lextech-

Please post some pics of your build! We need a few more turbo trucks out there on the street!

EZ SPEED-

Hey EZ SPEED. Now I have two people in my thread who are cross posters! Thanks for the props at both sites. I freakin' LOVE your 93. That thing is BAAAAAAAADDDDD!!! I may be bugging you for some tech details if you don't mind.

Thanks to all for the inspiration. It is helping me to keep this project going.

2. thesled

how hard is it to build the megasquirt? and tune it?

3. GTPhreak

Any updates yet?

4. PaulF

Finally another update. I have been kind of busy so worktime on the truck has been limited.

Here is the Megasquirt mounted behind the drivers seat. Notice the power and ground feeds running into the distribution block. Everything works perfect according to the laptop as well as the Megaview indash display. This might not look like much but this represents an incredible amount of work to get to this point.

[​IMG]#ad

My wiring harness where it passes through the firewall. I think it looks pretty good personally, but I may be kind of biased.

[​IMG]#ad

My hotside with the wastegate installed. Damn this turned out to be a TON of work. I can see why people opt to go the open WG route on a build.

[​IMG]#ad

From the reverse. The heated O2 sensor for my Innovate wideband controller is installed. I hope it is far enough away from the turbine that it doesn't fry. Time will tell though.

[​IMG]#ad

And finally installed in the engine bay. Note the harness from the Megasquirt visible just behind the turbo. I haven't finished the connections to the engine harness yet since the engine still needs come out and go back in a couple more times. This build is taking way longer than I thought it would!

[​IMG]#ad

More to come soon.

5. linkmustang

looking good man

why not mout it all under the seat

6. stonegod85

that is exactly what i want to do with my 91 f150 xlt lariat....glad to see someone else beat me to it so i don't have to run into any crazy problems when i finally do it. it looks super clean! only thing different i plan on doing is getting the ecu from the same year mustang i pull the engine and get it sct'd. just easier for me that way. i can't wait to see footage of this thing in action.

7. TwinturbostangMark

Great Build Man!!! Cant wait to see it done.

8. deathbypsi

I love the truck and the whole idea behind it,but I have a question.Why the flex joint in the passenger side hot pipe?That pipe wont move around any more than the drivers side pipe and with that flex piece in there wont it put the most weight load on the driver side hot pipe?Are you gonna brace the turbo up to the chassis somehow to ease the weight load at all?It just seems like that setup is asking for lots of problems with cracking pipes on the drivers side.

9. PaulF

Thanks man!

I put the flex in thinking that it would help some with the expansion of that long run of pipe across the front of the engine. I had already decided to brace the turbo to the head so we will see if pipes crack or not. Hopefully not, but this is my first ever DIY build and I am learning as I go.

10. Matt W

You are doing a great job on the entire project. I would sure as heck not suspect that truck to be tucking that kinda power under the hood. Good stuff!! :2thumbs:

11. SNEAKY

i still think the 4.9 I6 would have been a torqeu monster.

12. fastback69

Some dude on fordtruckzone.com put 11psi on a stock 4.9 and got 278 rwhp and 410 lb/ft. Stock except for tuning and 19lb injectors.

13. stonegod85

i've been trying to decide whether i'm going to keep my 4.9 in my f150 lariat or go with the v8. the torque posted for the I6 above is insane!

14. SNEAKY

you gotta link, i do not feel like registering to another forum

15. fastback69

www.fordtruckzone.com

About 3/4 down. The guys name is bigblockcapri460. It continues to the next page. He has updated his build since I last saw. Here are some pics. He has an svo I6 block!

16. DIL

Keep up the good work.How far are you from Bangor??I'm around there at least once a month...

17. Attatoy

them things have 24's stock? every time i open the hood on a I6 it has grey tops.

18. PaulF

Hey DIL-

I am only 12 miles south of Bangor on I95. Stop by some time if you wanna see the truck in person! That would be cool.

And finally an update!

Here is a pic showing my transmission installed. Not pictured is the freshly machined flywheel, it's there though. Look close to the left inside the bellhousing and you can see my SPEC pressure plate, it's the bright blue bit. But the real focus of this pic is the CNC Inc. slave cylinder. As we all know the Mustang uses a cable clutch, the F150 uses a hydraulic clutch, siggghhhhhhhh. I bought the push style slave cylinder and used some 1/8" strap to fab up this mount. Of interest in this pic is the massive bubble gum weld I made! Guess what? You need to turn on the gas before you start welding. :help:

[​IMG]#ad

Here is a pic from way back when I started this project. It shows how the factory serpentine belt was routed.

[​IMG]#ad

I was going to spend $60.00 for an "AC delete" kit which is nothing more than an idler pulley bolted in place of the AC compressor. With a bit of work I was able to reroute the belt, switch the ribbed idler pulley into the place of the smooth one of the factory tensioner, bought a shorter belt, and I came up with this. Total cost, $13.99 for a new belt, and a washer that I found in my junk box, not bad.

[​IMG]#ad

My turbo oil drain hose that I made up. This is my first time making up AN fittings. Much easier than I expected and super cool as well. I will say they don't give the hose or the fittings away. Yikes this stuff is expensive! I have a bunch more for the rest of the remote mount oil filter I am doing. Once that is done I will post pics of it.

[​IMG]#ad

And here it is installed on the turbo and engine. I welded a bung into the oil pan and everything seems to look like I actually know what I am doing! Amazing.

[​IMG]#ad

And part of the reason I have been lacking in updates lately. My new bike! 2006 Suzuki DRZ 400. Way too much fun, I have owned a fair amount of bikes but I think this one is by far my favorite. One thing is for sure with this thing, I won't be wearing out any front tires if you know what I mean!

[​IMG]#ad

As usual, more updates to come. Stay tuned.

19. crowdesign

Looking good dude, i'm down towards portsmouth. I'd love to see your truck, that thing is gonna be bad ass.

20. pacettr

Subscribing for a cool thread...GREAT WORK!