1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Small motor boost limit of an S475 or S480

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 64nailhead, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Forcefed86

No way of knowing what parts will bolt on a china copy. How bad is the cover it came with. Forced inductions (and several other companies) can machine what you have to work with the 80mm wheel. But by the time you pay for the 80mm wheel machining/shipping etc... are you not better just going with a $450 china s475 and calling it good? Tough call IMO. I hate mixing and matching parts personally. It's always a headache.... but if you have the time and patience, go for it and let us know! defiantly deals to be had once you know what parts are interchangeable.

2. 64nailhead

I'm going to find out. I plan to buy a race cover and a wheel in the next month or so and see what happens.

Hopefully I'll have some track times and numbers to see if it works any better or worse. I'd like to try swapping a race cover onto my genuine Borg while at the track and see what it does. Or at least from one weekend to the next.

To answer your question about the cover on the China unit - it's too far gone. Alot of debris contact. I think someone found one of the infamous 10mm sockets in there. - it's not salvageable.

Thanks for the reply.

3. 64nailhead

As luck would have it, my son came home with another China S475 (171702) that was returned new in the box because of some BS from over a year ago. is employer was unable to return because of some reason unbeknownst to him and it was headed for the scrap bin. The return guy knew that my kid would be interested in it and dropped it off to him.

So now I have a new spare Chinesium turd. I just ordered an Ebay race cover and I'm going to see what happens. :cheers:

4. Forcefed86

FWIW my china S480 worked extremely well for many seasons. I sold it with the last motor setup when I crashed the mazda. I cut the goofy marmon EXH. flange off and welded on a standard 4" vband. Made it much more compact. Let us know!

Also... most aftermarket compressor wheels are balanced out of the box... so external balancing isn't usually required. An 80mm wheel and cover would be a nice upgrade! I have done the billet 10 blade 75mm upgraded compressor wheel on those. Dropped right in the comp housing.

64nailhead likes this.