1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SDCE hat + Backfire= not good

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by RTC1978, Mar 31, 2008.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTC1978

"Exactly....did you miss the part where we DID make sure it will stand up to normal mistakes and problems? We have had backfires with no hat problems.....Rich had some BAD stuff going on to blow the hat up."

Honestly this backfire was no worse than the one I had with the EV hat, so stop making this seem like had a stick of dynamite in the hat. We all know something is "bad" when a motor backfires.As I said before I would expect the threads in the carb(not your stud) to get ruined before a hat got destroyed. But it's done and over with. Your opionion will not change about this situation and mine will also stay the same. We are both losers in this battle because I'm out $210.00 and I'm sure you lost a potential customer or two.

2. Ugly_On_Purpose

I kind of put everyone together who had nothing but bad comments. Agreed, you simply stated your experience. My reply was aimed towards the people who was jumping up and saying that you should have a full refund or replacement even though they know all too well that the performance parts industry doesn't work that way. Yes, there are exceptions.

3. Stroked-Z

You know a backfire is bad WHEN you blow the thottle blades out of the carb, or shear the heads right off the throttle blade screws...BEEN THERE, DONE THAT...before i was blow-hrough and in my younger days....as a result of improperly adjusted rockers :)

Regardless, i have NEVER heard of a carb hat coming apart. Im sure if a CSU hat or EV hat did come apart....they would have refunded the $$$ or exchanged the product....no questions asked, no "email response". The worst thing i hate doing is talking through a stupid email. Most epople want to talk to SOMEBODY, not read an email, especially under these circumstances.

Like i said previously, im self employed as well and i learned a long time ago that word of mouth is the BEST advertising you can get, and will go a very long way.

Make it right, give the guy his $$$ back because your product is NOT up to snuff & should NOT be marketed to the average Joe....because the average Joe is NOT A PROFESSIONAL TUNER and we WILL make mistakes

-Carm

4. Boost Engineer

This is a WARRANTY:

"For three decades, Turbonetics has been a leading source for turbochargers, heat exchangers, controls and related forced induction performance items. Today, Turbonetics manufactures turbo and intercooler products for gasoline as well as diesel passenger and industrial applications. It is Turbonetics mission to produce the highest quality performance forced induction systems, components and accessories, resulting in unsurpassed customer satisfaction and leading edge technology, based on a proven history of engineering and racing experience. All Turbonetics products are backed by a one year, no-fault / no-hassle warranty.

Here it is again: "one year, no-fault / no-hassle warranty."

Turbonetics makes RACING PARTS!

I read that the man had the SDCE part for a week, right, and now every one is in a pissing match about whose fault it is. Like I said, several pages ago, and Tim also mentioned, Give the man a new part or his money back and move on. Your rep is worth far more than a couple of hundred bucks.

Thousands read this board daily.

Tom V.

Nice post Tim, I agree with you totally on your deal.

5. Toma

Hahahahaha... make it right? That is impossible. Just because we have the internet to blackmail companies for our mistakes does not make it "right".

Exactly the opposite. Under normal circumstance, the hat works. What we all seem to disagree on is the extent to which a carb backfire and bad tune is considered "normal" lol

All you newbs, good luck in this sport if you think you are gonna get by blaming everyone else for your stupidity..... no one wants your business, because there is no way anyone will do right by you in this sport.

You want shit that wont break in RACING? Go lease a automtaic '08 Honda Civic, and drive it like the whiny old grandmas that you are.

6. Boost Engineer

Quote:

"All you newbs, good luck in this sport if you think you are gonna get by blaming everyone else for your stupidity..."

Yep, I am stupid. Really stupid for 34 years doing boosting work for a major oem (Ford).

I will explain it to you again what I have lived by for those 34 years. I could give a chit "who shot peter". This is just wasted words. All I have ever cared about was how do we fix it and move on.

Tom V.

7. Toma

Was it your carb hat that failed?

8. furchaser

Is it just me or do these seams look diffrent ?

sdhatpolished_web.JPG #ad

9. blown385

I knew there was a reason I used that big ass stud to hold my EV hat on .............. :2thumbs:

After reading this , it makes me want to drill it all the way through and run a bolt instead of the stud ........ :hmm:

10. RTC1978

Having a backfire makes someone a newb??? How is it impossible to make it right? Do you actually listen to yourself. Your a joke! I'm done with you.

11. whiteghost

Hey Toma, have any of the cars you've tuned ever backfired? If not, you must be the best tuner in North America, or perhaps you fall into the same category of "stupidity" you're so quick to throw others into.

In my book mistakes do not make a person stupid, they make them human.

I think its pretty obvious that SDCE's design is weaker (structurally) than the Procharger, EV, and CSU designs.

12. Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Was it your carb hat that failed?"

No but I have purchased stuff from Scott and Wendy in years past. I talked to Scott many times over the phone.
    I don't think this deal is doing anyone much good at the moment.

If the man got his money back then he doesn't have a leg to stand on, the company stood behind their product even it it wasn't necessarily all their fault. Others have posted the same advice. What part are you having trouble understanding?

Tom V.

13. RI85GT

He is Canadian...... and apparently perfect!

Tom, you newb LOL

14. furchaser

Please don't group us all together,, :nuts:

15. Boost Engineer

Yep, that's me the Newb.

I race with a lot of Canadians, watch the Canadian jokes, Aah! LOL!

Tom V.

16. tuner

Great idea Tom. I'm surprised someone didn't suggest it sooner.

This is some excellent drama and a fine contribution to global warming. The electricity consumed by all the pc's and servers necessary to bring this thread to this point would have easily run a TIG welder long enough to repair a bigger mess than that hat. Weld it up and move on. This is an insane distraction from what everyone's presence here says their goals are - a good running hotrod, aye? JB weld it and reinforce it with bungee cords, do anything but whine on. If there is some tuning issue that needs to be worked out, and it seems there is, if this hat pops again in a backfire incident nothing is lost, eh? If it survives the remainder of the tuning process, powder-coat it all pretty and you have a one-of-a-kind veteran to be proud of. :) :) (I guess I better put some smileys after that rant?) :D

17. UJUSTLOST

Toma, I am not sure what kind of business man you are but with your attitude I would lose customers faster then I can get them. I am a business man, a successful one at that, and I know what it takes to get and keep a customer. Bad news travels much faster then good news. We all know that the backfire caused the hat to break. We all know that it was a tuning issue. However, to avoid this exact type of thing SDCE should have made it right in any way they could from the start and not let it get here. Whatever would have made the customer happy is what should have been done. They came on this board to try to sell their product. They came with "data" and "facts" about their hat. They did not have any examples of guys on this board using it and making big power. Their target consumer, a consumer they didnt have before, was the members of this board with a few exceptions. To make themselves stand out they SHOULD have gone the extra mile. They didnt and WILL lose potential sales from this board. I understand they are proving a point but there is a time and place to do it. The time not to do it is when you are trying to grab a share of a market you dont have. They dropped the ball and may have really screwed themselves out of a good chunk of sales. I wish them luck but they dont know how to do business and it is going to burn them.

18. 383backinblack

2 things are abundantly clear......you have never run a successful business.......and you obviously think your shit doesnt stink and don't make mistakes

19. 383backinblack

:cheers:

20. Toma

My last response to this thread.....

First.... what would I have done if I was the company? Dunno, depends to what degree I tested my hat.

Sound engineering practices in say pressure vessel design are to design it to withstand 1.7 to 2 times maximum rated pressure, and pressure test to 1.5 times maximum pressure. So if my hat was designed to stand upto (examples only cause this is what i have data logged) 20 psi, 23 psi with a rapid thorttle closing with no blow off...., I would over design it to handle 46 psi, and test to about 35 psi.

Now if backfires WERE an accepted norm in this, a guy would have to decide what level of backfire had to be tolerated. 50 psi? 100 psi? Where do you draw the line?

The fact is, this customer already destroyed a hat, so the pics and information are already out there, the damage is done. It's like the pics of the epoxied turbo that everyone still thinks are real. Too late.

My personal position would be send the hat back, I'd have a look to see if it was a defective weld, gusset... whatever. I would not leave it to internet "experts" to decide. Then I would offer to replace it IF it was defective and sub standard, if it was a "close call", I might replace it but insist that he bring the car to me (at his expense) for proper tuning. If the hat was fine, just the level of the backfire exceeded design specs, I would explain to the customer that it was too severe a backfire, the hats are tested to xxx psi.... sorry about your luck, come by, and we'll tune it properly for you so it doesn't happen again.

I dont care if the EV hat survived (according to the customers expert and obviously datalogged example) a similar explosion. Fact of the mater is, depending how much fuel and air the motor coughed up, can tremendously affect the pressure wave created.

Also, the design of this hat obviously has a much higher internal volume to inlet area ratio of most other hats out there, so of course it will not handle the "grenade" as well. Common sense. Anyone that has built a potato gun knows the greater your combustion volume, the farther you shoot your potato. Like I said, he created a pipe bomb, and the unique design of this hat puts more internal stress on itself. Sure they could have built it out of 1/2" steel, but then guys wouldn't buy it cause it was too heavy.

How MUCH of an explosion is it reasonable to design a hat to contain, keeping weight, cost and practicality in check?? That's the question. EXPECTING it to handle any explosion is silly.

For Boost Engineer..... even Ford denies warranties to stupid and abusive customers.... I've seen that first hand :angel: