1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SDCE hat + Backfire= not good

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by RTC1978, Mar 31, 2008.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMRacing

so much for the "zippered" welds, there is like an indentation every 5 inches, not at all a zippered weld.....

RTC1970, sorry for your luck, and thanks for letting us know, and saving us some money and headaches :2thumbs:

2. RTC1978

When I ordered the hat the secratary asked how much boost was I going to run, and I told her I may turn it uo 20-25psi once in awhile. She said that Chris was going to welds gussets in the hat. I asked why and she said "this is done because they like to over engineer" or maybe they knew their hat had potenial strength issues????

3. RTC1978

No problem, I'm sure the potential customers they lost on this site is worth more than the $210.00 of mine they wont refund.

4. wazslow

Im not sure, but from what i can see, my EV PRO hat is quite a bit beefier than that hat. What kind of company trying to break into a market wouldn't refund a lousy $200? Its not about the money, its the principal.

5. RTC1978

EXACTLY!!!!!

6. Boost Engineer

This bonnet

http://www.originalho.com/TFProjectUpdate2

(2nd Pic) is large like the SDCE bonnet except:

1) The top is retained by the 4 carburetor studs on top

2) The Metal is much thicker (Heavy BasT*rd)

3) The bonnet is one continous sand casting.

I have never seen one of these bonnets ever have an issue.

This bonnet had excellent distribution on a q-jet carb. This bonnet was made 30 years ago!

Tom V.

7. Turbohwagon

that SDCE looks pretty thin in the sides.

I guess if i were a business trying to compete with something as time-proven as the EV hats, i would just eat the 200 somethin bucks and refund my new customer.

i can see why that hat would most likely break over an EV hat, the EV hat is curved and the force of the back fire is directed back out into the intercooler piping, where as with the SDCE it comes out of the carb and hits a flat surface with very little re-direction of the back fire. (if it is what i think it is inside the SDCE hat, a velocity stack inside of the enclosure)

8. WIKDLX

last year at commerce my car wouldnt run out the quarter because itwas geared wrong. I would just run it out and then let it sit on the limiter for the last 200-300 feet, which caused a large backfire, which blew two k&n filters in half. this backfifing never damged my EV bonnet, carb or any other parts.

ths type of publicity isnt good, and the pcitures show the quality of this hat which hurt it even worse.
    my comments arent a "bach frenzy", I just want to do what so many others are trying to do which is open the eyes from more than one point of view.
    I actually thought the SDCE hats were designed for street cars up to 600hp?

9. furchaser

Quote from SDCE :Lets say someone goes to Wilson and orders a sheetmetal intake manifold that blows to pieces under a nitrous backfire that their Victor Jr has withstood before...how is that Wilson's fault? They aren't going to refund $ because the customer put their manifold in a criteria well outside it's design..............Sorry but I see a very big diffrence in quality

detail_8_billet-bank-manifold.jpg #ad

lsx-side.jpg #ad

10. turbofreek

wow i was interested in this hat for sure. that is until i seen this pot-metal contraption. its as thick as a stamped steel valve cover at best. design looks good, quality looks terrible at best. and to see the responses about warrantys?
    come on man. if you drop a valve on a new head thats ran for a few passes, does anyone complain to the head company that it broke their entire motor? no you realize that this is racing and thinks happen broken parts are a norm. we also realize that when a bad product or company is present to avoid them to save the hassle.

would i refund the money?
    fuck no, his car went lean. he was the reason it backfired and hes responsible for it breaking the hat. not the companys fault he blew a huge fire back into the hat. if you cant figure out to run a car without the hat and get it right. how the fuck is boost going to make it easier ro safer to run it?

should the money be refunded?
    again, fuck no, but since hes a sponsor on here hes suppose to own up to somebody elses fuck up? i dont think so. somethings majorlly wrong with a car if it leans out that hard. we all know this shit. its car tuning 101.

11. RTC1978

Why would I run/tune a boosted car with no hat, you make alot of sense. :stupid:

12. brianj5600

I am no engineer, but similar thickness, but 2 or 3 times as much area means it will only withstand a fraction of the pressure.

13. turbofreek

99% of things can be found without ever giving a wot test. finding it is another story in itself, hence why we are here. in this very thread on this very forum. carbs do this shit n/a to. there is always somthing not needing a wot test to find incorrect.

14. twin74s

Sorry about your luck man, on another note. i had an extreme velocity hat on my big block last year when it back fired at 30psi. Bent the carb stud and lifted the hat off, pushed the coupler off and split an intercooler end tank. But DIDNT hurt the hat. It also blew a head gasket, bent a rod and broke a piston at the same time.......

15. twin74s

My car would hardly pull itself without the hat on it. WEnt WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY rich above 2k rpm......So tuning without it was way out of the question.

16. Project X

finish splitting that thing in half and lets have a look see inside!

17. RTC1978

My car is lean at wot, not cruising. Does that make sense???

18. turbofreek

sure does. sounds like running out of fuel.
    heres the possibilitys
    pumps no good enough(even if its suppose to be)
    to small fuel lines
    bad diaphram in regulator not holding pressure causing a very quick lean condition(tough to see to the naked eye)
    something plugging up the carb or lines or filter or even the outlet of the fuel tank.
    wideband is incorrect or incorrect setting.
    power loss to pump under extreme conditions.
    floats colapses
    just a few to consider you look over with a fine tooth comb before continuing with your application.

sucks that pot metal hat broke man. but the hat isnt going to help this out. ones theres pressure its all the same damn near.

19. whiteghost

SDCE, do you feel it is acceptable that your carbhats are the $200 "fuses" so to speak, in the induction tract during a backfire?

Will you consider altering your design to add strength?

Though I believe the theory behind your design is good, I was not impressed by your carb hat comparison testing due to the completely unsceintific methods they were tested under. You guys didn't think we woudn't realize that you could manipulate your measured results simply by altering the amount of air leakage between the carb and the hat. Also there did not appear to be O-rings or gaskets used in the tests on the videos. Don't most people secure their carbhat with something other than their hands?

20. Toma

LOL....

Bunch of newbs here? Why the fuck would anyone warranty a part that broke cause you have no clue what you are doing?

It's race equipment. There is generally no warranty.

I worked at a speed shop for a few years. There is always those couple guys that break everything you sell him. You warranty it, they break it again. Fuck that.

It's your fault, deal with it.

Hell.... should Ford warranty have covered when my nitrous backfire blew my intake apart and my filter airbox?

Duh.

You are lucky....last guy I saw with blowthrough that had a backfire blew the carb hat clear off and through his hood... we aren't talking 25 psi here.....

The company IS doing the right thing, and offered you dirt cheap dyno time to rectify your mistakes.