1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SDCE hat + Backfire= not good

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by RTC1978, Mar 31, 2008.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tims86-9.80

That's why I thought I would ask before responding, because I hoped he was not trying to say we are e-thugs? If we are only e-thugs, it makes me wonder why one of the first times I saw SDCE at all was calling everyone elses, proven hats junk, maybe not in those words but.......to fly on the sceen and call others junk is a e-thug to me. I don't recall EV or CSU calling their hats perfect, but as quoted "Its hard to make something that works perfectly in all arenas, ours is damm close though."

2. Tims86-9.80

Shit I have quoted more in this thread then in the last 5 years I have been a e-thug.

3. Stroked-Z

Listen E-thug, just so you know we are using hats that dont have proper air distribution & the SDCE hats have outflowed them on their tests with a vacuum cleaner hooked up to them while being held by hand & sucking water ROFL...i almost fell out of my chair when i saw that video....like it was supposed to prove something?

Anyhow....now that we have that clear....SDCE have you ever had any associations with XS Turbo,,,,they're compressor housing used to come apart like your hat did, only it was EPOXIED together....maybe you guys could join forces, epoxy then weld & you would have an awesome combination :D

Boost Engineer i guess im uneducated in the welding department....i always thought that a weld is the strongest part of the 2 metals joined. I remember Brent's intercooler & it was fixed at no expense if i recall correctly, and it was fixed promptly without question. It was too a "CUT & DRY" situation. This is why i pay someone else to do the welding on my car :D
    I limit myself to small brackets lol

-Carm

4. Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Boost Engineer i guess im uneducated in the welding department....i always thought that a weld is the strongest part of the 2 metals joined. I remember Brent's intercooler & it was fixed at no expense if i recall correctly, and it was fixed promptly without question."

You are correct, the proper weld is the strongest typically unless it is a chitty weld. The failure comes from the area right next to the weld where the heat cracks are generated. Agree, that was my point on the quick repair by Andrew.

Tom V.

5. Stroked-Z

We need to get pics of the hat that are BIG....lets see where it really broke.....did the weld come apart or did it come apart beside it?

-Carm

6. 93weezer

:corn:
    Wow, this could really show a CO.s integrity on how something like this is handled. SDCE if TM.com is loaded with a bunch of e-thugs why did you show up trying to convince everyone you have the next best thing since sliced bread?? You could have potenial customers swayed way from your product depending on the outcome of this and how its handled ( not a buch of excuses and saying its all the customers fault). The ball is in your court.

7. PMRacing

I disagree here, the reason its stronger is partly because its smaller, but also because your design pushes up directly at the top of the carb and hast to then move its way around the horn, so its not just because of its size. Seeing this, you should have made it from stronger material, and stress a lot more on its strength during your hours of designing, because of 1) your hat has more surface area. And 2) it does have that design that incase of a backfire would just put alot of force on the top of the bonnet.

You got to stop saying that, in theory yes you are correct, but there is alot more than a good hat than theory, there is no point if the hat blows apart after backfires, or if it is weak IN REAL LIFE SITUATIONS (refer to above). We are not retarded, and can think for ourselves, and know there is more to it than that statement you keep stating.

8. 93weezer

It needs a pop off valve or burst plate similar to a roots blower to handle those nasty back fires???? :welder:

9. Brent Davis

This is 200% correct. Andrew built it for me for $900 cash, it blew a panel once and Andrew repaired that for "FREE" and then on the dyno it completely blew a panel off. I called Andrew and he said send it back. This time we together had a plan of attack to brace it and Andrew did WITHOUT ANY questions asked and did it again for "FREE". I never asked him to do it for free either but he did and to me that goes 1000 miles in my book.

SDCE, I've watched and monitored the threads that you guys have made and some is interesting info and some is questionable to "ME", not that I speak for others but for "ME" only. To come here and brag and boast your hat is fine especially that you are a site sponsor, but from a performance stand-point, you are going to catch pure hell convincing all of these e-thug blow-thru guys to take their CSU or EV hats off because yours is so much better. I understand all the distribution stuff and all and also that you said that your hat is good for 1000 HP but there aint many here that are playing with even 1000 HP anymore. I notice you have plenty of customers using your bonnets and swear by them, well where are they? I mean proof is worth it's weight and goal so I'd get all of those guys to get in here and tell about their experiences. Like others have said, I'd give the guy a refund and call it a day. I am sure that as big of a company as you guys are and as many hats that you sell, surely $200+ aint gonna shut the doors down at SDCE.

10. RI85GT

Good grief. I am having flashbacks here

"Just send it back for evaluation". ...... We all know just how that works out. Well my fucking wallet sure does.

True colors folks. I have been to this shop. I have spent time there. I was treated in a way that told me to never do business there... EVER. Why, because I would NEVER be right. Whatever unforeseen problems I was to have, regardless of reason, was not to be this shops fault. How do you deal with that?

I can only warn you guys so much. I spend more time on this site then ANYONE. I take my admin job very serious.... and that means trying as fucking hard as I can to save you guys from wasting your money, getting screwed, and having the most successful venture you can!!!

We work damn hard for our money. Spend it very wisely!

11. sdce

Whoa whoa whoa......I never insulted anybody here, but everyone is quick to jump on T/A's assumptions about my statement???? All I said was that most of our customers aren't on the internet, or dont post on forums....how is this calling everyone on here an "e-thug"? And I came to this board because I thought "hey, here is a group of intellegent guys who have fast cars"....never thought I would get my ass chewed out for trying to showcase some new product. And i'm being accused of looking down on the website???? I donated a couple hundred bucks to be on here; why would I do that to come here and insult people?

Brent, I said it to Hillbilly before....its only been a couple weeks since this all started. It took a month to find someone who had the right tools to test the hats, and he will still be doing his testing. Did everyone here honestly expect instant testing and results? And I never claimed we are a huge company, and never claimed to sell thousands of hats....this has all been covered in the other threads; the hat thing started as a tool for us to use on our cars and on our customer's cars because it made tuning so much easier when the hat works correctly....selling them as a standalone came up afterwards. And I'm sure not EVERYONE here has a 1000hp car....I've already said we have little interest in building pure blowthrough carbs at that power level.

An intercooler blowing up is a completely different situation...that was a part not doing what it was designed to do. This situation is a part being blown up from excessive pressure. To make a hat that is the size of ours stand up to that kind of stress it would have to be 1/2in thick and cast from a single piece...for our criteria this wasn't feasable. His hat DID have the gussest in it. If huge carburator backfires are the norm for everyone here than i'll say my hat isnt for you guys. To reiterate...THIS DID NOT HAPPEN FROM ANYTHING RESEMBLING NORMAL OPERATING CONDITIONS. We overengineer everything we build so it is durable, and we stand by it 100% when we are at fault. In this case our part was damaged from extenuating circumstances....I refer to my Wilson intake manifold analogy. We arent going to be bullied into changing our minds on this fact.

And yes, a surge/BO valve on the hat may of helped, we even have a provision for it cast right in.

Jon....you purchased fittings and a pump from us...how did we screw you on that deal? We already went through this in the other thread. We agreed to leave that disagreement in the past, I apoligized on behalf of Scott for any misunderstanding there was. If you took you're admin job seriously you wouldnt be on here bashing a contributor (not that gives me any special status) over a personal misunderstanding years ago.

12. RI85GT

You have never met me Chris, you are getting 3rd party information from Scott and/or Wendy. There was no "misunderstanding".....I was not "screwed". I was treated poorly ......which is WORSE. There was NO respect shown to me by the owner.

If you expect me to just sit idley by and watch my members get the wool pulled over their eyes and be blinded by delusions of granger....then you are not only wrong...but foolish. I rather give Trent the money you payed for the advert spot out of my own pocket, then have members get fucked over.

Prove your products are superior like you claimed, STAND BY your products like you SHOULD. There are companies on here that started from scratch. They became successful because they rather go OUT OF BUSINESS standing by their products then make a quick buck. They will always do well because they bleed integrity.

Is this personal, ofcourse. I am not bashing anybody, I am voicing my experiences at your facility. This is a website where people voice opinions & experiences in hopes of making educated decisions. My opinion, being admin or not, is just as valid as anyone else's. People are still able to draw their own conclusions. I sure as hell am not going away......

13. RTC1978

Chris I didn't read your whole post but I never said you should make your hat stronger. I know I have fuel issues thats why I have been communicating with Kevin. I told you the car no longer backfires since addind fuel, and I never said your hat caused the lean issue. Why would I want to have your company dyno tune my car if your not willing to make this situation right??? Discount or not, this is more about business practices than just getting my car right.

14. furchaser

Parts Warranty

Competition parts are sold "as is", without any warranty whatsoever. The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Racing is a dangerous activity and the user shall determine the suitability and safety of the product for its intended use. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes all responsibility and risk as well as the entire cost of all necessary replacement, servicing or repair.....I guess this says it all :fu:

15. RTC1978

Pics

Furchaser, my car has two BOV's.

I thought a nasty enough backfire would pull the stud out the carb instead of destroying a hat.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. rusted40

makes me want to add something like this to mine.

thats one helluva force :fear:

17. RI85GT

18. RTC1978

To be honest the car has had a worse backfire with EV hat.

19. furchaser

Now I see why they have that for a warranty, Jesus,,that thing shreaded, Man I would be pissed to. Sorry about your luck...Ron. .edit,,could these be the original tacks ?

SANY0293.jpg #ad

20. jesse

Nice exploded view internal pics. If anyone was still wondering what the inside looks like now they know :D

Looks like if it wasn't for the hose clamp the top would have come right off :eek: