1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Sbc delete

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 55bowtie, Jan 1, 2023.

1. 55bowtie

I ended up ordering the summit pro ls piston and rod kit. Its just more peace of mind for me and I know ill probably want to push it when the time comes anyhow. Im still a little tossed up on the crank but I most likely get the crank as well and just start fresh. I opted for the ones with compression ratio just over 10:1. Ill just make a low street tune if I want to cruise it. The more I work on the car the more it becomes a racecar then driver anyhow.

nxcoupe likes this.
  2. BlackCoffin

Nothing wrong with piece of mind. Factory cranks do handle upwards of 1000hp. I’ve read around the 1200 mark is there they start flexing.

3. 55bowtie

Yeah thats what I had read as well. Why im tossed up about it. I was also reading that the stock waterpumps work fine at 1000-1200hp as well which I was not expecting. I had ordered an ATI damper for f body spacing and considering just using a stock style waterpump. Wont have to mess with a inline thermostat plus its way cheaper which is nice. I think I can fit it. Im gonna be building hotside from scratch again anyway.

nxcoupe likes this.
  4. nxcoupe

Unless you are going stroker, just use the stock crank. Imho. Hell, coyote cranks are good to 1000+ hp too, so that's all I use is stock.

5. 55bowtie

No stroker. I dont plan to hit 1000hp anytime soon either. Guess ill stick with the stocker. Be nice to put that money towards other stuff as well.

6. 55bowtie

Well decided Id like to go twins this time around. Considering the normal s366’s. See summit has a twin turbo cam thats a step up from your typical stage 2 turbo cams everyone offers. Cant seem to find anyone running it or feedback anywhere but kind of want to try it.

nxcoupe likes this.
  7. 20112011Cummins

Which one are you looking at specifically?

8. 55bowtie

Its stage 3 pro ls twin-turbo cam. 234/238dur 115+5 .625/.605 is the specs. I watched one of there product videos the other night and it said that there “turbo” cams were designed mostly around t4 turbos? They claim the twin turbo cam is good for larger t6 single or twin setups. Although like most already know, people have made plenty of power with the average stage 2 cam from any company just about with either setup.

9. 20112011Cummins

That's a pretty rowdy spec cam, It should sound really nasty on a smaller ci motor. They put 5 degrees advance in it try and bring the peak down a bit I guess? Should be fun and hard to beat that line of cams for the price.

10. 55bowtie

Yeah it seems a little excessive for a 5.3 but I guess on a all out build it would be good. Im willing to try it though seeing as I chose to have a little bit higher compression and running twins right off headers with not much exhaust length should spool fairly decent I would think.

11. TurboSnake281

Why do you guys keep deleting your small block chevys?

12. vht

I'd say cost, I'd like to build a SB for mine but after doing a little pricing of parts I decided to go LS.

13. BlackCoffin

For a mild setup, an LS swap with a cam and valve springs gets you a lot of bang for your buck. Boost it a little or keep it NA, for a junkyard engine it saves a lot of money trying to build up a sbc.

14. 55bowtie

Id agree its cheaper to make more power with the LS. Aside from that I had other reasons I wanted to switch. One being the engine I had was kind of sentimental and realized id hate to blow it up if I would decide to push it.

15. TurboSnake281

One day I’ll have my BBC :)

16. blue-boost

That's a lot of cam, how many RPMs do you plan on turning it?

17. 55bowtie

Im thinking around 7200-7300 Maybe shift at 7400-7500.