1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

SBC 357 First Turbo build Need input!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by crichards1691, Mar 26, 2017.

1. crichards1691

What do you mean by two air filters? Also what size BOV and Wastegate would you suggest. The turbo is 83mm has 1.32 ar Hot side 94mm. Got a cam coming from cam motion 228 intake 225 exhaust 114 lobe sep 560 lift on 1.6 525 lift on 1.5 2k-6500rpm range.

Now how do you run a oil catch can? Ive never ran one nor came across a motor with one yet... Would it be dual inlets on top of the catch can from the baffles on both valve covers..then where does the outlet go?

2. TTFBDY

There's no outlet. Just a drain.
    They have a filter breather on top to vent the crankcase through.
    He has some instruction etc on his site - MightyMouse

If you run a k&n style filter you'll probably need two. Air filters can really affect turbo hp.
    Not really an issue in a truck compared to a car for space.

3. crichards1691

Perfect thanks. Any input on BOV and WG size though? Just purchased them piston rings a minute ago you pointed me towards..

For an air filter I was thinking about having an AFE made to my specs.

4. TTFBDY

WG= two 40mm JGS
    BOV= 50mm

I didn't know afe did custom.
    RPS has a 9" cone that fits a BW inlet that most guys use if they have the room.

5. crichards1691

Okay thanks, ill get on buying them. But yeah you can design any afe filter. Did it on my powerstroke...very convenient

6. crichards1691

Heres a pic of my manifold. Should I attach the second Waste gate to the other side manifold or fab one up on this manifold?

header.jpg #ad

7. crichards1691

Also for a carb hat do I have to spend the big bucks on an extreme velocity/something close or can i go with a cheapie cx racing...

8. TTFBDY

not the cheap ones.
    I don't remember what the good one is.
    Do a search I'm sure it has came up in the carb boost tech section.

9. TTFBDY

That's setup for a single WG. Measure the port size and buy the same size JGS WG. Probably a 50 or 60 mm.

Catch Can Info

crichards1691 likes this.
  10. crichards1691

Im at a stand still here on my cam. Im at about 10.3:1 on compression (little more than I wanted) Called Cam Motion and they figured me one at 228-intake 225-exhaust 114 lobe sep 560 lift on 1.6 525 lift on 1.5 2k-6500rpm. I then called up comp cams and they said for what im doing while still having low end power a 242/248 116 lobe sep with around a 650 lift. Who the heck do I trust here? Neither are close to eachother.... Any input. Its my last part for this motor.

11. TTFBDY

What brand turbo? 96mm turbine?
    It looks like comp spec'd it to your cylinder heads. Ignoring the rest of the combo.
    A 228 SR is a waste of money most times. Since you have a SR already it's a little different.
    I could see a slower lobed 242/248 .550 lift. But not the .650 race lobes. With a .022ish lash lobe you can subtract about 12 degrees to compare it to a hyd cam for duration a rpm etc. It will just make more power.
    blown385 has a 235/234 Cammotion HR IIRC. It should work fine in your setup too. With a SR spec'd to be similar you'll be reasonably close. You have better heads and a smaller motor than 385 has. He's making 1350 chp or so with a 84/96 turbo.
    I'm guessing a new block is in your future. The normal split cam won't work once you turn the boost up due to back pressure.
    With the basically straight pattern cam you'll be ok when you upgrade with just a block and all the other parts will swap over.
    10.3 will work fine if you are on E85 or race gas. You are block limited so 12-15 psi will be your limit with those heads.

12. crichards1691

Garrett 94mm turbine. Yes comp cam pretty much did go off my heads and said theyd tune the cam a bit better once they do more research on the head flow. Freaking out about my compression and saying that cam "might work".

Ill have to call cam motion back up and tell em to go off that cam. I would love to be turning big hp like blown385.

Yeah now im knee deep in this build the only thing stock is the block fingers crossed on that holding up.

13. crichards1691

So I took my block over to the machine shop today to get it all ready... Engine builder told me my pistons were not going to last on this combo. Something about where the plug fires plus the boost and igniting. Idk, forgot the details as I was thrown a lot of info. Anyways I can grab some Diamond turbo dish pistons for cheap but id be at 8.32:1 with a .027 gasket. Isnt that way too low or would I be okay. This is not a street driven vehicle aymore...

I can also deck the block at .000 but rather not spend even MORE money on a regular ass dime a dozen GM block... 8.72:1 with a .000 deck and .027 gasket

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  14. crichards1691

Or I can just purchase a DSS Racing SX piston for the same price and sit at 9.04:1 at stock deck height and .027 gasket. Just dont know the quality of them...

15. crichards1691

Nevermind forget all that. Picked up DSS pistons thatll put me at 9:5.1 on a .040 gasket and stock deck height. If anyone wants some dome diamond pistons new in box theyre for sale.