1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

S480 build

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by BlueMonte, Aug 8, 2008.

1. stangboy86

Re: 1967 Chevelle Malibu 4 door (sleeper)

thats a cool trick. thanks for the info. ill be searching more on this

2. dodge turbo

Yea cool ass sleeper.....im sure its a money maker ;)

are you at liberty to tell the rest of the combo...rear, transmission w/brake, converter???
    If not its completly understood

And thats some trick ass shit going on with your carb...great idea's

Also where abouts in Pa are you from?

3. rockoosi1

:bow: I love it. I wish I had your car as a guide to building mine. Do you have any better shots of the tube that feeds your turbo? I am picking up a lot of hot from behind my radiator and I don't have much room for a 90. I am also running Vortec heads and am trying to pick the correct plugs do you have any suggestions? Last but not least what intake is that? I currently have and eddlebrock performer but I want to go with a single plane but I need to stay at the same hieght (hood clearance issues).

Rodney

4. FlyingSkull

Sweet build! :cheers:

A question about those SSautochrome headers... Do you think you could fit an alternator in the stock position on the passenger side if you had a T3/T4 turbo mounted directly to the header? It looks like it would be pretty close, but I was thinkng about trying these headers for a build of mine......
    Thanks

5. BlueMonte

Thank you, It has a home built Powerglide with the aluminum hipster brake, converter is an ATI that is actually the spare converter for the Rear engine dragster i drive, the dragster has an N/A alky injected 598 in it so i figured it would be tight enough for 353 cubes with a little boost. rear is a 12 bolt with 3.73's and the cheap axles that Jegs/summit sell.

alot of the trick shit is thanks to people on this board.

I'm 20 minutes North East of Philly, in a town called Langhorne, I spend most of my time at Atco, i rarely venture down to cecil.

I don't think the SSAC header will clear an alt on the pass side in the factory location, if it does, that alt will get very hot. i mounted mine really low on the drivers side with a homemade bracket, i'll post pictures.

I use autolight 104's or 103' on the street, 104 is hotter than the 103. At the track i use an NGK racing plug. R5724-9 stock # 7891. i get them special order at carquest for 2 bucks a plug. you can change the 9 at the end of the plug to anything from 6 to 10 if you need to go hotter or colder. 10 is the coldest. I use 9 because that is what we run in all our high compression small/big blocks from 12:1 to 14.5:1.

6. FlyingSkull

Thanks for the answer on the alternator/header clearance, I am probably going to look into these. My alt has a custom mount as well on the pass side, just a bit lower. Again, cool build!

7. BlueMonte

for 200 bucks shipped to my door I couldn't go wrong. only wish i would have thought to weld V-bands on them like i see other people doing.

8. droopy

wow man, i have to say, this thing is pretty much a mirror of what my setup in my 4 door 'bu is going to come out like. im impressed, great job! car looks tough as nails too.
    when the time comes to build my cage, ill have to get you to give me some tips. im going to try and keep everything as tight as possible to keep the sleeper granny look to my car. what was the first turbo you had on it, and how did it do at the track with that setup? im doing mine with a smaller turbo to start with as well, before upgrading to an S480, or possibly the 88mm.

9. BlueMonte

Smller turbo was T4 based. It was a on center ex housing with a .96 ar. compressor side was 67mm. It worked great on the street, but at the track the engine would not rev over 5700 rpm. i tried several things nothing worked. I switched to the s480 and it rev'd to 6700 where the OE Hyd roller lifters are pumping up. after an intake manifold switch my AFR's became smooth and the car started flying. With the small turbo the car went 10.72 with very little mph, after all it wouldn't go above 5700 rpm. My advice, if you plan on going s480 later, do it at the start. i had to do alot of extra fabrication a 2nd time to replace the 18lb T4 with the 48 lb S480. twice the work, but it's definatly twice the fun now. good luck with your build, feel free to ask any questions you might have.

10. droopy

i dont think ill have that much prolblem with the switch over, i built everything with that in mind already. the turbo im using for now is a medium frame holset, so it weighs about 45 pounds itself......should be much difference with the 480
    oh yeah, do you have any good pictures of the cage and how it went together?

11. BlueMonte

Cage was an S&W Racecars kit for a 2 door that i bought back in 1998. I used the Main hoop, the front halo, and the A-pillar bars. I measured the angle of the C-pillars (35 degrees) and had two bas bent, I also had a 1 1/2 inch bar bent with two 90 degree bends to go around the bench seat, Vanishing Point Race Cars bent that stuff for me, i showed up with a sketch and then got it perfect. The c-pillar bars go through the package tray and weld to a peice of tubing under the package tray. i have two peices that drop off of that tubing that tie the top of the springs/shocks to the cage. my anti roll bar also is incorporated into those drop off's. i also have two diagonals that go from the cross member back to the rear of the frame.

Here are the c-pillar bars going through the package tray, if you look to the left of the H in Honk you can see the bar.... look real close:

Here are the drop offs with the Anti-roll bar:

Here are the diagonal bars going to the rear of the frame:

12. droopy

sweet, thats pretty much what i was going to do. im planning on getting a CE 2 door malibu kit, and working it out from there. so theres a C shaped section you made up as the crossbar for the main hoop? i was wondering what i was gonna do about the crossbar so i could keep the bench seat.thanks for the idea! what shifter do you have under that hat? haha :D

13. BlueMonte

3 on the Tree :angel: that's my standard answer.

yes the back brace for the main hoop is essentially a really long C, or more like this ]

14. JoshGT87

That car is on a level of coolness that I cant comprehend!!!!! :doh: :bow: :2thumbs:

15. fastestdriver

What are you doing for ignition timing control, and is the rotating assembly stock? Your car looks like a lot of fun, I love seeing how other people "skin the cat" for lack of a better term. You get that thing out on the streets much?

-Eldon

16. BlueMonte

Thank you. It's funny because i've built alot of nice cars, but none have gotten the attention that this thing gets. It's the funnest project i've played with so far.

Ignition consists of a 6AL. I have a Hob switch that activates a MSD single stage retard which takes out 6 degrees at 8psi. So it goes from 33* to 27*.

Rotating assembly is a set of JE Severe Duty Nitrous pistons, they are true flat tops with 2 valve releifs, Eagle 6 inch H beam rods, and a cast GM crank 1996 vintage. Pistons were a killer deal from a friend who owns a machine shop and got stuck with the pistons when the customer backed out after he had already file fit the rings. I got the pistons, pins, rings, bore, hone, rods(at cost) and all bearings & gaskets (at cost) for 900 bucks. It's a $1,400 long block. the whole car is really ultra low buck.

Yes i drive the car on the street whenever I can, after years off building bracket cars that could never see street duty I wanted something I could legally cruise around in.

I was on vacation this week and got bored. added a little red to the wheels for that old school look.

17. fastestdriver

That's excellent, simple but brutal, I love this car!

-Eldon

18. droopy

that thing is one awesome looking cruiser with those red steelies and dog dish caps...... i need a set of dog dish's for my malibu

[​IMG]#ad

19. BlueMonte

Ebay is a great place to get them dirt cheap. your car would look excellent with a set of spoke style hub caps, and by excellent i mean slow. it needs white walls. :cheers:

20. droopy

yeah, im still thinking about white walls.....gotta keep that granny fresh look!
    deff. need to get some taller front runners though, for sure, those are just what i had laying around to pass inspection.