1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

S475 and S480 dimensional difference

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 64nailhead, Jan 25, 2020.

1. tbird

x2 on revving and keeping away from peak torque
    Thats how the sbe record gods keep them alive.

I still know some buick peeps sluggin away with stock block stuff. Still stuck in the low rpm big boost mentality. Still blowing shit up.
    It really doesnt help that stock heads even with port work flow like a petcock half closed. So they will never rpm.
    HEHHE

64nailhead and Forcefed86 like this.
  2. 64nailhead

I'll put this higher rpm program into play. You guys are keeping the time out of it until gets over peak torque as well, correct?

3. Forcefed86

Yup... Kinda depends on boost power level. Im around 12* on mine at 20-22lbs and from 6-7 i put 2* back in. but I don't fall back down near pk tq on the shift. (glide).

That was also intercooled with water meth and E85. you really just want to start low and read the plug. As long as the plugs happy keep adding timing.

4. 64nailhead

Finally made it to the track this year. Added CO2 which s working relatively well for the 1st time out. I have traction issues that I'm working on (new set of Viking double adjustables will be here tomorrow.)

I'm having IAT issues. Last year in 75 degree ambient temps on C16 with approx 4 gallons of meth/hr I was hitting the stripe in the 180's. This past weekend it was hot (95) and I seen 241 degrees on E85 at it's worst, but everything was over 210. I have more meth available, so I'm adding more pre TB. I can install a pre-turbo nozzle (small) something like a 175ml nozzle - would it help?

I'm concerned that 23 psi is at the end of the S475.

5. B E N

Pre turbo nozzle should help IAT, should also make the turbo act a little bigger.

6. Forcefed86

Those temps are pretty bad. I was looking at around 100* at the start of the run and only up to 140-145 by the end of the 1/4. Treadstone 1245 A2A. Do you run an IC? Which one?

Water/meth is great, but it will report false overly cool charge temps if it sprays anywhere near your IAT sensor. I doubt the big S475 is done on a 4.8 at those levels. What is your weight/trap? The S475 has been well into the 8's around 3100lbs.

7. 64nailhead

I had a sensor issue. But new sensor was still reading over 180. I have since dialed in the meth better. As it turns out, I had the frequency set to 1 cycle per minute (somehow got changed over the winter). I discovered this doing a tune comparison from last year when I first installed the meth. With only a handful of street hits under my belt (6 seconds or so), my temps are staying in the 130's and I expect they'll stay in the 140 for a full run. I have made an air flow improvement as well (headlight removal).

If mama nature holds out, then tomorrow s a full day of test n tune at my closest track. Really hope to get some good runs in then. And I figured I wasn't out of turbo yet, but the rate of temp increase made me feel as though that was the case.

The best I've been is 139 at 3650lbs with me in it. But my 60's are downright pathetic. Haven't been below 1.60 yet.

8. Forcefed86

That big S475 is basically an 1100hp capable turbo airflow wise on small bore LS setups. That is crank HP, but either way you should have a ways to go.