1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rise Like Lazarus! 4.6L Cobra Super T-76 Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by wildcardfox, May 8, 2011.

1. wildcardfox

Yah actually
    That's good pm me a link when you get it up.

(Alax7's ls kit) Actually, I'm doing it this next week. It's been hard trying to manufacture something without you just doing it yourself... Countless attempts with vendors and finally we had to just bring it back in house, with a new welder, and a new process. It's been a journey, but now it's at the easy part. Making a few changes, put it on, button it up and fire it up, and it's done. :chacha: Well, until he wants to throw on a big brake kit that is.

2. wildcardfox

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Looks like Spaghetti :welder:

3. davidjalb

I digging this thing, keep the pics coming.

4. watahyahknow

it looks like stainless art to me dont think i would hve the patience to get the gaps in all those pieces exactly as they need to be

5. wildcardfox

Thanks, will do!

Yah its definately art mixed with a little bit of maddness... hardest kit I've ever built. huge turbo, Huge downpipe, Have to have ground clearance. Have to have it not knocking anything. Have to hide the entire turbo kit. have to plumb the wastegate into the DP. Have to allow the stainless to expand and contract (double slip connectors). All of the parameters made this kit so hard. I've taken it down at-least 10 times just to get pipes right. Finally tonight- we are finished with it. Next week I'll have a new lift and Finally some good pictures from underneath. :chacha:

Thanks everyone for the compliments. :cheers:

Just thought it would be fun to show where I came from years ago in designing a turbo kit

[​IMG]#ad

Things have definitely changed :2thumbs:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Downpipe and Muffler
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. wildcardfox

Hadn't had a chance to work on my car in a few months since I had a customer car that I had to work on, the other car was the Lincoln that I turbocharged (https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150372.0), but while were waiting for brakes to come in I was able to get some things done.

Had to redo two pipes that were hanging too low, and finally here's the finished kit. It is now supported by brackets so that none of the pipes are sitting on the k-member. You can notice the rise if you look at some of the pictures above. I'll post new updates in the next few days, along with filter, fenders, and other parts. Putting the car back togehter FINALLY :2thumbs:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. hasa68mustang

Looks AWESOME!

8. wildcardfox

Thanks... I'm happy to see it getting done :chacha:

9. wildcardfox

Ok. Filter update. I know that there have bee many threads on this site started about finding filter solutions for large frame turbos. I myself have used foam and screens, but here is my new solution. Finding a filter for my turbo took me at least 2 years of mulitple tries and attemps before finally finding the right solution. All thanks to my carbon fiber skills.

My turbo is a Turbonetics Super T-76mm.

[​IMG]#ad

It came with the ASME Bell and I am dead set on retaining the bell. So I made a mold of it and made a carbon fiber version.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I added on a carbon fiber 4.5" bend and carboned it to the bell.

Then I went with an HKS filter. Throwing out the stock bell and adding my Super T's bell and attaching the ends.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

and then put it all together

[​IMG]#ad

and on the car

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And my turbo finally has a filter! :cheers:

10. maverick75

Are you worried about the foam degrading? I know the Edelbrock foam ones fall apart :(

Great Fab stuff! Love it. I recently started working with carbon fiber :)

11. wildcardfox

Nah I don't. I've run foam infront of this turbo before and it held up well. Also I can replace the foam easily, so it's not a concern that I have. Good luck with the carbon fab... It's ALOT of work, but very rewarding. I'm highly expercienced with vacuum bagging and am currently making the move to vacuum infusion. If you need any tips or you want to share your projects join me over at thefabforums.com. In the composite section.