1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rim screws and tubes?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Enginerd, Jul 12, 2005.

1. quarterstang86

Moroso screws (the shiny silver one's not that gold one's that stick out)

8 per side; 16 total per wheel

No tubes, and I have very little leakdown over 1 weeks time vs no screws.

2. Brian Brown

Wheel screws and tubes

On our outlaw 10.5 car, we run 16 screws per side and we run Mickey Thompson tubes and MT 33 10.5w's (14-inch wheels). In our case, I think that the tubes actually cut down on some of the tire shake.

No problems in 60fts. We have gone 1.140 on a 130 degree track at 3050lbs (turbo car)

Do keep an eye on the guy's that mount your wheels with the tubes. I actually help sometimes, so that they don't put the tube in backwards. (The vavle stem on our tubes sits off center.)

As for balancing, some guys do and some don't. We don't, but then again we only use the tires for about 10 passes.

We always keep an eye on the rollout on the tires. Believe it or not, a tire can change from one weekend to another without even being ran. Gettin the tires to have the same rollout, now that's a whole 'nother question? lol

Brian
    www.badboysracing.com

3. Haze_kid

idealy if you have screws you should use tubes. Mine HAD screws with no tubes and they leaked pretty bad from the screws... Let it sit for a week or two and the tire was flat :mad:. I got new tires recently added the Mickey tubes and all is good now, not a tiny bit of a leak :pimp:.

I have to add though as no one has if you go with tubes you MUST use Race tubes, there IS a difference. For one the afforementioned metal stems, but also the constuction is different. They can take the pinching etc that wrinkling sidewalls from slicks can do. If you use a regular tube it could tear...

4. SWT Racing

Re: Wheel screws and tubes

:withstu:

I actually mount/dismount my own slicks for this very reason. I then take them to get balanced at the local tire shop. I run tubes in my little 26 x 8.5 M/T's with 8 screws per side, and it has worked great. 1.45 60' times so far.

As for rollout, I check them when they are new, and stretch the smaller tire until the circumferences are within 1/4".

5. WaterPog

The Hoosier Tire FAQ actually had a procedure to use for new slicks, not sure if it's still there. Basically you air them up until the diameter is the same, then do a nice big burnout. Take them off the car and let them sit overnite to "cure" and you're good to go. From what they said it will maintain that diameter once it's been heat cycled like that regardless of air pressure.

6. jbcalhoun