1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Random Intake idea... Rifled pipe?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Forcefed86, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Forcefed86

Those are some pretty impressive numbers. Seems strange they choose to make it out of billet. I'd thing something plastic/glass/etc would be alot lighter and easier/cheaper to manufacture. I'd like to see the affects on some smaller turbo applications. That blower is massive!

2. PrecisionTurboMustang

He needs to be able to sell them, lol. I am sure he has plenty of profit margin built in.

3. Forcefed86

If they were looking for profit, I'd think making an affordable unit that targeted a larger demographic would be the way to go. How many people run an F2 blower out there? I'd Make them cheap/plastic/and in a many different sizes to open up the market a bit.

I could always get to grinding on my $14 spectre unit... :D

[​IMG]#ad

Or get a fancy alum one for $50.

Might not have the thickness needed to cut into, could always add vanes externally.
    Give me some super glue and duct tape, we're gonna do this up right!

[​IMG]#ad

4. Agent86

&feature=related[/url]
    &feature=related[/url]

5. MONTEGOD7SS

Damn that dyno looks like it might be hell on parts stopping like that. Also, you can't really say the volute gained 300hp, when he said there's internal porting inside the compressor scroll.

6. cat herder

True, but the counter-rotation in the vanes is the same thing I was laughed at for early on in the thread. I seriously doubt they would go to the trouble of machining the vanes/grooves if they didn't do anything.

(What the CCW spin of the incoming air does is give the air a straighter shot at the backside of the compressor blades, where all the work is done. Inducing spin the same direction as the wheel would be counterproductive... as I said earlier.)

p.s.: :moa:

7. Forcefed86

Maybe not counter productive... wouldn't it help eliminate surge? I'd like to see an identical test done without any "porting" done on the housing. Also a test with vanes going the same direction should then reduce power. That would be a nice test as well as I don't think it would reduce power by much...

8. Procharmo

There's some good analysis from you all. It's most likely that removing the co rotation pre swril will improve the compressor efficiency, induced counter rotation pre swir will increase pressure at a given impeller rpm and increase impeller shaft torque. Where as induced co rotation re swirl will reduce pressure yet greatly reduce impeller shaft torque hence giving more power to the rear wheels.

Steve did do a co rotation test on Glen BBC F3 setup which produced 2252HP on a 540 conventional headed motor which hauled his car across America in Drag week with 7 second passes. That means no radical cams etc and no cutting of the blower belt when cruising.....

umVHvFHIuAg[/media]&feature=player_embedded]&feature=player_embedded

I'm still reading as much as I can about the whole subject and preparing to possibly start my own experiments. Steve is an innovator and has the skills needed to research and bring his ideas to market. Seriously........we can only hope to emulate him and others like him (ForceFed86).

Oh yeah! Talking of innovators RIP Steve Jobbs who must have been told touch screen technology has been around for 30 years (1980's financial dealer boards, Bang & Olufsen stereos) or even why repackage a Sony Walkman as mp3 music will never catch on!!!!

9. wantabe

bet you there is machining changes to the margin area , where the air dischanges from the exducer on compressureR
    margin area= flat area on backing plate , and is controled by compressor cover clearances.. ;)

10. slow67