1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

RaceCoupe/Hooptie - 2010 season is over - 5.10 @ 148

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by Injected65, Oct 24, 2005.

1. jkoogler

Re: Pics of my hooptie - Now with video

what cage is that? i am in need of one and so far i am leaning towards the wolfe.

2. Injected65

That cage was custom done by someone there in St Louis from what I was told by the guy I bought the car from. Its not a bad cage, but definitely not what I wanted, besides the fact it is only mild steel.

My Christmas (and birthday) present to myself came in today :angel:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Chris

3. jkoogler

nice. i am from st. louis. what was the guys name?

4. Injected65

You know I don't even remember. Its been about 3 years since I bought the car. He lived kinda down in the Brentwood area. Not far from you if I remember right.

Chris

5. Boosted351

This is probably a stupid question that most everyone knows the answere to but here goes. What is in the lifter valley in that last pic? Some kinda cam oiler I guess? Just never seen one before.

6. Injected65

Don't feel bad, I had to ask myself when I was sent the pics origionally. Still not 100% sure what its for. I was told some Nascar mod to provide extra oiling for the lifters or some BS like that :)

Chris

7. SWT Racing

I think it is to balance the oil flow between lifer oil galleries so oil does not have to go all the way to the back of the block and then cross over to the other side. Otherwise, the #5 lifters see a little lower oil pressure.

I assume you are going to have to run a custom cam core to fit those roller bearings. Do you know what configuration they are?

8. Boosted351

:noidea: :hmm:

9. Gary Putnam

That's where you hook the chain to set the shortblock in the car.

10. RI85GT

I thought it was for the flux capacitor :noidea:

11. Injected65

Funny, funny Gary !

Andrew, that sounds like the best explanation I have gotten so far. I need to measure the cam bearings tomorrow. There are two options, one being that the front 4 are same diameter (2.051 I believe) and the 5th is smaller or they have some motors with all 5 same diameter bearings. Suppossedly I need a "custom" billet steel cam core. I have pretty much come to the concusion that by now everything for the car is "custom". I am spending tonight reading up on external wat sump oil pumps and pans :2thumbs:

Chris

12. SWT Racing

There are three styles. One has #'s 1,2,3,4 are 2.165" and #5 is 1.968", another has all of them at 2.051", and yet another is 2.081". :huh: If you get one ground from Comp, be sure to ask to have it ground on a Crane core. It makes them ever so happy. ;) You'll be able to differentiate a Crane core by the gold color between lobes.

13. Injected65

Ahhh ic. Looks like I need to break out the calipers and get some measurements tomorrow. I will probably end up at Cam Motion for the new cam. They have done about a dozen or so cams from myself and friends over the past few years and each one has met or exceded our expectations. I know the last one I ordered for my buddy in KC had a gold tint to the core of the cam. Not sure if its the same, but maybe.

Chris

14. vwprostock

I too thought that blower looked and sounded familiar!

G

15. SWT Racing

Cam Motion uses Crane cores. Crane and Comp make all the billet cores out there.

16. Boosted351

Somewhat off topic but doesnt Crane make the ford racing cams?

17. Injected65

Looks like I have the M-6261-D351 cam bearings in the block. 1-4 = 2.165" and 5 = 1.969". It also appears that I need a special cam retaining plate too. Off to search the net for that part number.

Chris

18. nuckifuts

how does the car retain oil pressure with roller bearings :huh: and i assume the block must be different as well? looks tits by the way :2thumbs:

19. Injected65

Thanks man. It does look pretty sweet. I taped the motor off last night and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Now it gets sealed up in a bag and waits for the money tree in the backyard to start growing. The roller cam bearings get the oil pasages blocked off. They rely on splash lubrication only. The front oil passageway gets diverted through a small machined cut in the block to spray lubricate the timing chain and distributor gear from what I have read. That is one thing I liked about buying a used motor. The proper machine work and modifications were already done to teh block and its ready to assemble.

Chris

20. turbo84gt

looks awesome. my money tree stopped giving fruit a long time ago....