1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

RaceCoupe/Hooptie - 2010 season is over - 5.10 @ 148

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by Injected65, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Injected65

Re: Pics of my hooptie - New Update - 7/07/07 - It Runs!!!

No new news yet. Tomorrow I need to make a few calls and get a standard volume oil pump on the way along with a new head gasket and a set of intake gaskets. From there I can put the motor back together and do soem more testing to see if it will need restrictors or not.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Don Bailey

Chris,

If you have the engine out of the car and on a stand. Pull the front cover and then remove the pipe plug for the oil galley front and rear. Drop in only 1 lifter and see where the lifter sets relative to the height of the lifter oiling hole. I'll bet the lifter, when on the base circle of the cam, is seeing full oil pressure. There are two types of oiling lifters, piddle valve and edge orifice. Who's lifter do you have? (yeah, I didn't read the whole thread.... life's short) Bearing clearance and valve train setup will determine the oil consumption in GPM for the engine. A high volume pump is NOT your problem. Don't purchase any parts until you investigate where your oil consumption is going. Call me if you have any issues.

DCB

3. Injected65

Don,

The lifters are comp cams pieces. I check the lifters originally when I put them in and the oiling bands were showing with the cam on the case circle. I checked cause at the same time there were a number of threads about not getting oil to the top of the motor. If you don't mind, can you PM me your number and I would appreciate talking to you tomorrow about this problem. I have all of the bearing specs written down at the shop.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Don Bailey

Chris,

I'm in and out all day today. If you don't get me please leave a message and I will call you back.

Don
    (708) 870-3771

5. Injected65

Rather than type out the whole thing again, please read my last post on Hardcore.

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40057

To sum it up here..... it seems to be fixed with a swap to some Crower lifters with the small mod to the oil hole. Tomorrow I need to run the valves and start buttoning up the front cover, accessories, oil pan, valve covers and intake in prep for dropping the motor back in the car.

Thanks,
    Chris

6. RI85GT

eggcellent!

7. Injected65

Well the car was started back up last night. It makes a solid 60 psi of oil pressure now. I finished up the rear brake lines but didn't have enough fluid on hand to bleed the brakes. I now need to bleed the brakes, diagnose a non working trans brake and try and finish up the intercooler plumbing inside the car. I'll be loading the car up in the trailer Thursday and taking it to KC on Friday to get it painted. I'll end up leaving the car in KC till the following weekend when I can make it back up to help assemble the body parts and bring it back home!

Thanks,
    Chris

8. botietr

Good deal Chris.So the lifters were the problem?
    Tow on down here and ill paint it for you..lol
    What color you going with?

9. Injected65

Yeah, the Comp lifters I had were not bad really, just that using them on the Dart block would have meant the need to install oil restrictors and since the motor was already together I didn't feel like tearing everything back down to a bare block to do that. Instead I just bought a set of Crowers, did the small oil notch mod, and put them in.

The car is getting painted Pacific Green. The code is PE if I remember right. OE on 96-98 Cobras. My buddy in KC with the grey Capri with the F2 is painting it. He already painted all of the removable parts, but he wanted me to get the motor and mechanicals done to the car before he would shoot the tub. I'll get a bunch of pics of it once its painted. I am still thinking that some graphics might be in order to help break up the solid body color though. I'll have to take a good look at it once the parachute, wing and wheelie bars are in place.

Chris

10. Jake

KICKASS Chris!!!

No graphics!!! :D

11. botietr

You wouldnt happen to have a picture of that oil slot mod on the lifters? is that something that NEEDS to be done?
    SO im glad i didnt buy my lifters yet,i was going to buy the Comp.ive been thinking Isky Red Zones or Crowers.

12. Injected65

I think I have some pictures at the house. First I mocked up the lifters in the motor and tried priming the oiling system to see if I could get any oil flow to the rockers. I did not get any to the top. Then what I did was took a thin cutoff wheel and ground a shallow small groove from the oiling band up to the oiling hole on the side of the lifter facing the center of the motor. Once the lifters were cleaned back up I dropped them in and primed the oil system and got a nice amount of oil on all of the rockers (after turning the crank some during the priming).

I think the need for the mod would depend on the base circle of the cam and where it locates the lifters in the oil galley. I would get everything mocked up and test it first and then decide if the mod is needed. The Comp lifters for a standard inline windsor head are probably fine, its just with the victors I needed the intake lifter to have the offset pushrod seat and Comp only offers that style in a BBF lifter body.

Chris

13. Tims86-9.80

You have to do the same if you have a small base cam in a standard comp lifter. Have to do the same to many lifters. Ask me how I know. LOL

14. Injected65

Well the car fired right up and drove out of the garage tonight. Its loaded up in the trailer and ready to head to KC tomorrow afternoon for paint. I'll grab some pictures of the paint process.

Chris

15. racerdain

Tell Ryan to get to work, and bring that thing to the next Vamp race. August 25th I think it is.

16. Injected65

The 25th just may be doable. I should have the car back here in town on the 5th. I would need to get a windshield and back glass installed, put all of the lights in the car, mount the wing and mount the chute(s). Past that, it should be ready to at least make some test passes. Is the race there at KCIR?

Chris

17. Injected65

Re: Pics of my hooptie - New Update - 7/28/07 - Paint Pics

Well it has color now! I'm heading back to KC next weekend to get the body parts put back on and buffed out.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

It has some killer shine for just coming out of the booth. I can't wait until it has a few passes with the buffer.

Edit: The color is Pacific Green like the OEM color for some 96-98 Cobras. For the paint guys out there I think it is code PS. Standox paint was used and Ryan uses Sata paint guns.

Later,
    Chris

18. Gary Putnam

well it's about time you got that factory white primer covered up. Looks good Chris, can't wait to see it when it comes back to town!

19. botietr

Damn Chris,looks good.those guys mustn't of had much work to knock it out that fast.now get it together and lets see some times.Standox..good paint..thats what we spray here.

20. Injected65

Thanks Bruce. The car went to a shop that my buddy (Ryan) is a lead painter at. He took the car from the primer state in the other pics to the last pained pic in a total of about 14 hours. I "helped" a bit on the masking and de-greasing and a bit of went sanding in the jambs. He definitely busted butt to get it done in time for me to head home last night. Another day worth of work to go next weekend hanging the doors, fenders and bumpers and I can bring it back home!

Thanks,
    Chris