1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Question for mopar guys running EFI

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by JackGTX440, Apr 4, 2012.

1. JackGTX440

Not as pretty though... ;)

I have a fair amount of billet parts for the engine. The MSD will match that theme nicely.

2. furious70

Oh, I didn't know you were one of those billet guys....shouldn't you own a corvette or something? :p

3. JackGTX440

LMAO. Only on this car I'm one of THOSE guys....

4. JackGTX440

With distributors like the FAST dual sync, is there still a need for a crank position sensor or crank trigger?

5. JackGTX440

The fast dual sync is a nice pretty billet too. May just have to unload that MSD dizzy!

6. furious70

I see you put it on moparts :p

7. JackGTX440

Yup. Lol

8. Mad Dart

I tried a Fast Dizzy when using my MS3 and had nothing but problems. I ended up using a Mopar Lean Burn Dizzy that I modified with a Nascar Reluctor and a Hall Sensor and Fabbed up a 36:1 Crank Trigger. I am using D585 Coils. The Dizzy is only for the Cam Signal. When using the Fast Distributor with the MS3 it is not a good thing because it is a low tooth count wheel inside that only feeds the ECU information every 90* of Crank Rotation "8 tooth wheel". My Fast Dizzy had some serious slop in it also and I had a sperratic miss that I chased my tail on for 2 days on the engine dyno. Even the MSD Flying Magnet Crank Trigger is a Low tooth count wheel "8 Teeth only" that sends information every 90*, the MS3 instructions say to stay away from low tooth count wheels. A 36:1 Wheel feeds information every 10* of Crank Rotation which is 9 times more than the Fast Dizzy or the MSD Crank Trigger.

Here is the slop video of the Fast Dizzy.

Sperratic miss on the Engine Dyno with Fast Dual Sync Dizzy. You can hear it start to miss at the end of the Video

phpYtlHpUAM-1.jpg #ad

phpuPQ3mAAM-1.jpg #ad

phpd00c9IAM-1.jpg #ad

phpckwjr0AM-1.jpg #ad

phpmxoWLfAM-1.jpg #ad

9. Mad Dart

You supposedly can use it for either or. It has separate trigger wires for the cam and crank signals. So in theory you could use it for the cam signal only and add a crank trigger. I myself after learning more about this Dizzy would never use it again. It is a lame excuse of a product in my opinion. I may as well have thrown my money in the trash can as far as my experience goes with it. I did take it apart and look at the backing plate and how it is secured. It has a centering pin on one side and a rubber washer on the other, junk design it will always move unless you weld it up solid.

10. Alikazam

Good Info Mad Dart! :) Glad you got something that works figured out! How you like the MS3 so far? Are you using the MS3+Extra? Full Sequential? :) Just curious, sorry if I missed it being posted earlier. :)

11. JackGTX440

Hmm... That is pretty discouraging about the FAST dizzy... Maybe I could use a lean burn, do the mod and make a clean, custom cap to eliminate the distributor cap and go back to my COP plan I originally had with a crank trigger.

12. JackGTX440

Mad Dart, how thick of material did you use for your crank trigger wheel? I'll probably just draw one up and have it laser cut. Also, what type of crank sensor is that you have in the picture?

13. Anthony Fury

I am not familiar with either the Holley or the new FAST, but If I were you, I would do more homework on the systems you're thinking of running. There are 1,000,001 different ways to configure a crank/cam sync, and some boxes may be partial to (or play nicer with) one method over another. For instance, AEM has the EPM, Accel has (or had) a dual-sync, BS3 likes the LS sensors (but can also be made to work with other stuff), etc etc. Also, if you have to "fight" anything to make it work AND you plan on running the harness supplied with the box, you might be bucks up retrofitting around the sensors which the harness is made for, thus avoiding harness hacks.

14. Alikazam

You can find crank trigger wheels at DIYAutoTune.com already cut for not too much money :) Plus many other do it yourself EFI components including MegaSquirt stuff. Hope that helps! :)

15. Mad Dart

I tried to find one at DIY auto tune but they did not have my size. I ordered mine as a blank from trigger-wheels.com it took about 5 Days to arrive. I opened up the centering hole on a lathe and drilled the 6 holes in it to match the balancer. It is about 1/4" thick.

I will be making a custom Dizzy Cap that has no spark plug holes in it.

See above, trigger-wheels.com , I got both Hall Sensors from Diyautotune.com

Yes full sequential now using D585 GM Coils with the Heat Sinks. Yes it is the MS3+ Extra. I have not ran it yet with this set up. I have been working on my front suspension, 12 Point Cage and swapping out the 8 3/4 for a Ford 9". I am in the middle of the 9" swap redoing the triangulated 4 link etc.

16. JackGTX440

Well, it looks like I can throw all this out the window... I should be picking up my 6.1 HEMI this week for the car! :chacha:

I had a line on a 6.1 before, and the deal fell through so I decided to do the low deck build. I ended up finding another 6.1, and it looks like this one will work out! I plan on running the FAST XFI/XIM deal. Good info for future EFI builds in this thread though.

Looks like I have some Indy SR's and a 400 block to get rid of now. I really need to stop buying parts and reselling them because I changed my mind. Lol

17. FastmOp

I love my SRT Challenger :2thumbs:
    It a blast with the procharger :chacha:
    The new Hemi runs hard for such small cubic inch.

18. Alikazam

Love my SRT Challenger with the Vortech on it as well :) You'll like how that 6.1 breathes on the big end! :)

19. JackGTX440

I'm looking forward to the build. Trying to figure what to do for a trans. 727? Th400? Glide?

20. Anthony Fury

Where are you located? Ja wanna sell all that useless 400 stuff??? :angel: