1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Quad turbo 1968 Plymouth Fury (EFI JY 400" BBM)(Vids p. 6)

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Anthony Fury, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Anthony Fury

Re: CAST IRON HEADS SUCK!!!

Dave, TFD, Eldon: Thanks!

Rick: Great story, hahahah!! I love stolen Mack Truck turbo stories.

Jyrki: thanks for the input - we were considering smashing something in, but weren't sure if AL would start melting or getting unhappy.

Dave: welding cast iron *correctly* is a serious pain in the balls. Dabbing some snot on it might work....maybe. If these heads come off, they are staying off forever...just trying to get the thing to move under its own power right now.

I found a clunker valley pan, 2 complete Fel-pro intake sets and one SCE intake gasket set I forgot I had. Based on jyrki's comment, I think we're going to goop and pound some AL slugs into the holes, goop some solid pieces of valley pan over that, and sandwich it all in. TRENDZ's idea would be the most elegant, but I think Shaun is tired of welding things for me, hahah!

2. TRNDZ

Bring it up! I'll do it for you.

3. TwinTrouble

I have no problem welding it, that is a 5 minute job. I just think anthony doesn't want to machine the flanges after i put the torch to them..... :'(

4. Anthony Fury

Me hate machiney. >:( :angel:

Spent half of last night yanking turbos and wastegates, fishing around with a magnet. Found nothing, and all 4 turbos are just peachy (nothing slammed into them). I installed my intake years ago, and forgot if the tin pan even had the block-offs to begin with. Well, turns out we were chasing a ghost - I referenced the picture of the engine in the bay I posted last year (god, has it been THAT LONG?!), and they were never on there at all. Sure pays to be a pic whore, eh?

We made 2 chunks of aluminum, shaped like the center port, out of 3/8" thick AL plate and mashed the poor bastards in with a hammer and a skim coat of JB weld. After that I'm RTVing some tin over them. Pics coming.

In conclusion, I hate these heads, I hate this stupid intake and the stupid valley pan. Time to not be so lazy and whip up "the real shit" I have (Edelbrocks / the start of a A/W tunnel ram / homebrew Indy-style valley plate) so I can start destroying other parts of the car with torque. :)

Anyway, turbos are back on, intake is going back on tonite, and hopefully we'll be out tuning and terrorizing tomorrow evening.

5. Icetech

Had to register to just say that this thread makes me all warm inside:) Can't wait for more updates!

6. fastestdriver

" so I can start destroying other parts of the car with torque. :) "

:D :2thumbs:

7. Anthony Fury

Stay tuned, fair citizens! Insurance is back on it - gonna clean years of "storage" out of the trunk and backseat tonite, and then we're tuning....if nothing explodes.

Damn, I didn't get pictures of the plugs we made. They are not coming out for anyone anytime soon!

8. CW25

It will be interesting what the quad turbo from hell spools like. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

9. TRNDZ

Updates!!!!!

10. jaquetapus

Oh man, I can't wait to see this!

11. FastmOp

GET VID, I have to hear this beast spool :eek:

12. TwinTrouble

I will let Anthony have all the glory and share all the details, but i will say that we just got back from driving the Fury for a couple hours. With Aaron at the laptop, the car was driving like stock in not time. Man, let me tell you guys, i was real nice to finally be out in the street in this thing. At times, it felt like it would never get done. I know Anthony is totally amped too. :chacha:

All i will say is that it sounds like a Jet airplane and i can't wait untill we get to lean on it a bit more.

-Shaun

13. jyrki

In my opinion, the coolest thing in even a twin turbo engine (in addition to the power) is the sound world, for example after burnout, and during staging. With four, that must be unreal!

14. 86merc

Antony, It is GREAT to see the Fury on the road! :chacha: I am happy you guys got it done and on the road. There is no better feeling then finishing a project like that and taking the first test drive. Everything looks awesome. You and Shaun do unreal work. Hopefully we will see you out there Sunday.

Man, I only heard it when they pulled away from my house at part throttle. All I can say is :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. Icetech

I'm glad you guys got to drive it:) need pics/video/dyno graphs..... track times:)

I hope it makes some killer power... a friend of mine that does tti ls1 kits said there is no way in hell that thing would work for shit:) hope hes wrong...

16. fastestdriver

Those LS1 guys are always hating on something ha ha! I bet it works, I am excited for you guys. Helps get me motivated to work on my heap!

-Eldon

17. Anthony Fury

Well first, thanks to everyone's support. Thanks for the beer last night Mike!

Got it up and running again last night, got smoked out of the garage (stuff burning off the headers - see first pic), and drove it to 7-11 to get trans fluid. I was down at least 2 quarts!! Drove back to Autozone to get another quart (aka: got 3rd gear back) and began tooling around.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

This thing sounds way more ridiculous than I ever hoped or imagined. It sounds like the turbos are belted to the motor, and climb up and down with the throttle. At idle, the compressors barely turn. Spooling down (like braking to a stopsign) is my favorite - each one kind of comes down at its own rate.

Last night I got into boost, but it didn't really feel fast. My kickdown linkage wasn't adjusted right, so it was a high gear pull, and basically went no-place. The Turbosmarts kept everything happy (at least so far) at 8 psi.

We almost had a big problem - at the end of cruising around for an hour, a small fire started at one of my spark plug boot protectors (due to oil soak and pipe proximity). Shaun and I got it put out right away. It was a good lesson - be VERY careful with heat wrap and oil soak.

This morning, I woke up early, re-adjusted the kickdown (it had fallen off completely), fixed the burned plug and took it to work. I made a blast up the street where I work - it was hard to pay attention, but at around 3500 I felt the turbos "bat" the motor with air - it punched me back pretty good! It wasn't that violent, but this is a totally stock junkyard motor that I am trying to keep together for a little while anyway.

Right now, I have oil leaking from underneath the driver's side valvecover, which I attribute to "TRENDZ" syndrome. It creates a nice cloud at stoplights. Going to try real gooped up cork and some more heat-wrap (to try and keep the valvecover from swelling), and I need a cooler thermostat.

Brakes feel positive, charging system looks good so far, cooling capacity looks very good (this setup could easily hold 180 - at least in this weather, haha), and best of all, the master cylinder gets almost no warmer than AMBIENT - which is a huge victory in my book. Other than that, it's all systems go to try and spit the headgaskets out (or lunch something else).

Anyway, I need to get a boost gauge. I also need to make a video! If I get it sorted out, I'll take it to the track - not really looking for anything spectacular if I get there....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. ntstlgl1970

Re: Intake / throttle body spy photos: Quad turbo junk runs!

Pictures don't show up for me, is there a setting I can change or.....

19. TwinTrouble

20. ntstlgl1970

Re: Intake / throttle body spy photos: Quad turbo junk runs!

musta been the work proxy, they show up here at home, the tonybob site is blocked at work - stupid IT bs