1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Plain Jane

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by vossperformance, Apr 27, 2008.

1. jammerjamming

the more i look at it the more i drool. did you have to trim that front bumper at all? i couldnt tell from your last pics

2. vossperformance

I did not have to trim the bumper even thought the intercooler goes all the way up to the botom of the head light support.

3. ranger250x

did you paint the upper intake and valve covers? if so what color is that?

4. vossperformance

I did paint them. It is the silver wheel paint you can buy @ any of the auto parts stores.

5. jammerjamming

sweet deal. good fit and great price.

also, did the paint just need a good cut and polish? it seems as though the paint came back to life

6. TurboStang140

got videos?

7. vossperformance

Not yet, I plan too just been real busy and have not got around to it. I will try to get some up soon.

8. vossperformance

Yea I didnt have to cut it. I just used a heavy buffing compound. The paint came back pretty well, it still needs to be painted though. I have just bought a small fiberglass cowl hood. Maybe 1.5 inches tall. Underhood temps would get high so it needed some venting. I didnt want to go to big, I kind of like the stock look. I am thinking of going AOD with a brake (5 speed is a hand full, and hard as hell to hook) and some 16" DR on the ponies. Stay tuned...

9. vossperformance

I found some more build pics...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. vossperformance

I dont have any videos as of yet. I did however get the car to the track, and made some shake down passes. First full pass the car went 7.06 in the 1/8 @ 99mph. 5 speed, leaving at 4k & 2lbs of boost. 1.65-60'. I moved the 2 step up too 4500rpms, and the car went 1.54-60' 2 passes in a row, but the car wanted to make a move to the center line on both those passes after the shift to third, so I had to lift. The car still has stock uppers with factory rubber, and no anti roll bar or air bag. I feel this may have contributed to the cars movement. I plan to make a few changes to the suspension, and the tune up as it was fat and had no timing. Shooting for some 6.80's. I will keep you posted, and try to get some videos up.

11. chromeyellow

nice runs, those 60-foots kick ass! :2thumbs:

12. vossperformance

Thanks. I think it can do better. I figure high 1.40's. I will be happy with some high 10 second passes in the quarter. Shouldnt be an issue once I fix the small suspension issues.

13. 4EyedTurd

with the .68ar turbine what rpm would you start building boost?

14. vossperformance

I had a unit on the car in the begining that had a .68 A/R and I didnt like it. It all ways seemed to be trying to spool. I could be cruising down the road in 5th and hit a little hill and that thing would start to spool, it also didnt pull very good up top so I switched to a .96. The .96 works great, has very little lag, starts making boost at around 2800 going down the street. It makes 2 lbs on the two step with it set at 4000 rpms. Once I let her go it makes a full 12lbs very quickly, maybe a half of second. It gives the car just enough time to really sit on the rear tires. I have run the car leaving at 4500, and had better 60's but not sure what kind of boost it was making.

15. slo5o

Wow makes me wish I would have gotten and .96 instead of the .68 housing. I thought that a stock 5.0 would have a hard time spooling the large of a housing. Love the build, what made you choose the megasquirt 2 over 1?

16. vossperformance

It was a 4cyl car and I didnt have any kind of ignition control to start with. The MS-II is a much better way to control the spark compaired to stock stuff. If it was a V8 car I would have still went with the MS-II though. We just ordered a MS-II to convert a buddy of mine's v8 car, he has some future plans of boost.

17. slo5o

I was really wondering why you went with a ms11 vs the ms1. I have a ms1 v2 that im debating on using (the adapter board for the stock harness is really tempting) but Im still confused as hell on understanding how to tune it.

18. vossperformance

Tuning is not that hard, you just have to do your research, and learn the system. It would help if you could find someone near by that has some experience too.

19. vossperformance

The MS-I only controls fuel, and has no ignition control, thats why I went with the MS-II

20. loweredd

Holy cow man....you did a good job cleaning that thing up! Congrats. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: